For those of you who scored 10+ on VR and had no timing issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingSteady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you always feel 100% sure about your answers? I'm having trouble because usually I can narrow down the answer choices to maybe 2 choices and then choose one which sounds plausible. However, I can never verify 100% whether it is correct or not. I know that I could verify it by going back and rereading portions of the passage, but then I don't finish the test in time. So usually, if I want to get through all the passages in 60 min, I just have to put down an answer without really confirming it. Is this what you all do? Do you all make sure that you are 100% sure about the answers you put down? Or does this indicate that I need to focus on my timing more?

Note: I have been mainly using Kaplan practice tests. This seems to be less of a problem for me on EK101

Members don't see this ad.

You arn't reading the passage efficiently enough and are distracted by the details. Read the passage slowly and constantly ask yourself the central idea. Pay attention to language used to communicate mood and ask youself questions as you are reading such as is this inquisitive or condensending, etc. 9/10 this will improve your score becuase you will find that you wont have to jump back and forth between the passage and questions giving you more time.

Also, realize that english is english and there may never be a correct answer, only a BEST answer so don't let the fact that something isn't explicitly said in a passage throw you becuase if you did the above, you should be able to correctly infer the answer asked for becuase you'll have a solid understanding of the central idea.

BTW, with this in mind, i've gone from scoring 9's to scoring 12's in VR. I have gotten a few 14's too, but 1-2 questions make a huge difference.