For those that took Calc II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just took Calc I and managed an A, but it took a lot of effort on my part. (I've had a history of struggling with math since elementary school.)

There are about 8 or 9 days before my semester starts and I bought "The Calculus Lifesaver" and a workbook of calc problems to go over before the class starts.

Realistically speaking, I have no intention of going far in depth and reading the book cover to cover/doing every problem. However I would like to review and learn some key concepts for an hour or two over the next few days, since it might help me when I actually take the class.

What sort of things would you reccomend having a strong knowledge base in before going into the class?
Did it help to know how to work well with logarithms and trigonometry beforehand? Or would it be a better idea to get right into going over actual Calc II material?

Sorry I seem a little over nervous, math is just not my strong point but the bio majors at my school have to take Calc II so I want to give it my best. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just took Calc I and managed an A, but it took a lot of effort on my part. (I've had a history of struggling with math since elementary school.)

What sort of things would you reccomend having a strong knowledge base in before going into the class?
Did it help to know how to work well with logarithms and trigonometry beforehand? Or would it be a better idea to get right into going over actual Calc II material?

Sorry I seem a little over nervous, math is just not my strong point but the bio majors at my school have to take Calc II so I want to give it my best. :cool:

If it took you a lot of effort to get an A in Calc I, you will need to put a lot of effort (probably much more) to get an A in Calc II. Most people will tell you that Calc II is the hardest of the three. Definitely was for me.

As to knowledge of logarithms and trig functions - yes, you definitely should know how to manipulate those, and don't forget how to derive/integrate them from Calc I. You will be learning many new integration methods for trig functions, and some can seem really complicated. (Some instructors may let you use TI-89's or formula sheets, but the vast majority don't!)

For math, I never recommend the idea of reading the material in order to understand it (It never works for me). For many math classes, you just can't do that. You have to actually DO the problems. Look over the examples and start doing the problems. Do as many as you can. "Series and Sequences" is one of the hardest topics in calculus and the only reason I did well in it is because I did countless, countless problems. Just do all the problems you can find - you'll find yourself getting better and better.

Don't expect an easy class but hopefully you will enjoy it. Good luck!

The most important thing is to understand the basic integral and then substitution (even advanced ones) then to learn some techniques. most importantly integrals with logs, intergral by parts (work backwards from chain rule), and integral by trigonometry.

review the trig if you dont remember, esp know (dont memorize) the various identities.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
are the designations Calc I, II, III common? i've never heard them before.

we had Math 1A and Math 1B. 1B was a bitch.

Use this website. It helped me so much during my Calculus II class. In fact, I took a few days and learned all the material before the course had started, that way I could have extra time throughout the duration of the course and it would be significantly easier with previous exposure.

I guess an optimistic view is that it's downhill from Calc II.. Do a lot of practice, attend class, get the solutions manual and u'll be fine. Youtube have great tutorials also...

There are about 8 or 9 days before my semester starts and I bought "The Calculus Lifesaver" and a workbook of calc problems to go over before the class starts.

Realistically speaking, I have no intention of going far in depth and reading the book cover to cover/doing every problem. However I would like to review and learn some key concepts for an hour or two over the next few days, since it might help me when I actually take the class.

Calc II is the best class ever. Just study daily and do the assigned homework over and over you'll be fine.

Know your trig identities well; you'll need them for computing integrals with complicated trig functions. Also know derivatives of key functions so you can recognize the anti derivatives.

Personally I thought Calc II was much more difficult that first semester calculus. You cover a wide range of topics that are seemingly unrelated to each other and you encounter problems more difficult to solve. It becomes very tough for most students when you reach the sequence and series section because the mode of thought used here is completely different from analyzing complex integrals. When you hit the sequence and series portion, you will need to make a flow chart of each test that you may need to perform in order to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

For math, I never recommend the idea of reading the material in order to understand it (It never works for me). For many math classes, you just can't do that. You have to actually DO the problems. Look over the examples and start doing the problems. Do as many as you can. "Series and Sequences" is one of the hardest topics in calculus and the only reason I did well in it is because I did countless, countless problems. Just do all the problems you can find - you'll find yourself getting better and better.

Sequences and series definitely kicked my ass when I took calc in high school and it wreaked havoc on the AP exam...maybe because we were taught it like a week before the test. But anyway, that topic and figuring our convergence/divergence were the most difficult and annoying topics for me when I retook calc in college. Just know it's coming and don't fall behind. Good luck! :luck:

Calc I was awful, but once I got the hang of how to study for it, Calc II wasn't that bad. As long as you know the basics of trig and logs, you can derive everything you need. Just do practice problems. Lots of practice problems.

Calc II is the best class ever. Just study daily and do the assigned homework over and over you'll be fine.

I agree. I LOVED calc II! by far the most interesting and the most involved.

Sequences and series definitely kicked my ass when I took calc in high school and it wreaked havoc on the AP exam...maybe because we were taught it like a week before the test. But anyway, that topic and figuring our convergence/divergence were the most difficult and annoying topics for me when I retook calc in college. Just know it's coming and don't fall behind. Good luck! :luck:

sequences and series isn't until calc III. and it's not too bad to learn compared to techniques of integration, IMO, which can get more and more complicated (especially when more than two techniques are required). I had some problems that took me ten minutes to finish and two pages! convergence and divergence is pretty straightforward.

OP, if you had a hard time with calc I, you're going to have a harder time with calc II, IMO. Not to discourage you, but calc I was nothing really in comparison to calc II and III. You're definitely going to want to study and practice A LOT more. The concepts are a lot trickier to grasp but if you put in the work and practice, you should be okay. I would suggest taking advantage of office hours as much as possible. Trying to figure it out on your own isn't a good idea, especially if you're already confused.

Yup, and it's even harder when your instructor refuses to allow formula sheets and makes you memorize each and every one of the formulas for the eleven or twelve different methods of figuring out convergence/divergence.

So I had to not only know the formulas but also know which one to apply where - and my instructor purposely tried to confuse us so we'd waste time applying formulas that wouldn't work, haha.. fun times.. I can't imagine trying to learn all those chapters in one week!

are the designations Calc I, II, III common? i've never heard them before.

we had Math 1A and Math 1B. 1B was a bitch.

yea i think cal I, II/III/IV etc is the common thang, at least in the coast of East

It will be helpful that you just finished Calc I because you will at least have derivatives and antiderivatives fresh in your mind. I took Calc II the first semester of college, and the prof started off with some of the more complicated antiderivatives without any review. The class then gets more abstract with infinite sequences, convergence and divergence. Do as many practice problems as you can get your hands on, and do not be afraid to ask questions.

If your university uses a IV class calculus sequence then series will probably be in Calc III. If they use a III class sequence then you will likely have to face series in Calc II. You will definitely need to know the trig functions, hyperbolic functions, integration by substitution and parts. Don't worry too much about sequences and series: you will have plenty of company in your misery.:laugh:

Calc II is probably the hardest material of the calculus sequence (if it includes series), but it was the easiest for me because everybody else produced a generous curve.

Ugh, the dreaded Calc II. Learn to love integrals. Purchase a TI-89. I got a C and I was on the verge of failing before the final. The course load is HEAVY, so make sure you are not taking it with a lot of other classes. I recommend doing every practice problem, especially the hard ones cause those will be on the tests. There was no curve in my class, but I did well on 2 exams. One exam was on integrals and rotating lines around different axes to create different shaped objects, i.e. washer or cone or other types and how to find their volumes. It also included basic series. But I studied rigorously for that exam and did well. I also did well on the final because I studied over all my old tests and made sure I could do every single one of those problems. Then I did all of the quiz problems, and all of the end of chapter problems from the book. All of the questions were from those materials and just had different numbers which helped a lot.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I did get a C and I took Calc II as a freshman. Also our grade distribution was 14% A 15% B and 31% C. Don't depend on a curve because there may be math majors in your class or you may not have a curve.

Make sure to keep up with the material, it is easy to fall behind. Read the book and do all the sample and practice problems. Truly understand what is going on. Good luck.

Calc II is awesome. Trig knowledge is a must, since a few methods of integration heavily involve trig.

BTW, people argue that Calc II is "harder" than Calc III, but that all depends on the definition of "hard." Of course, the exams are easier because doing one Calc III problem by hand can easily take 20-25 minutes (or more). Another thing to realize is that Calc III rarely receives rigourous treatment as far as its validity is concerned (especially on theorems toward the end of the course i.e. Green, Divergence).

If your university uses a IV class calculus sequence then series will probably be in Calc III. If they use a III class sequence then you will likely have to face series in Calc II. You will definitely need to know the trig functions, hyperbolic functions, integration by substitution and parts. Don't worry too much about sequences and series: you will have plenty of company in your misery.:laugh:

Calc II is probably the hardest material of the calculus sequence (if it includes series), but it was the easiest for me because everybody else produced a generous curve.

I think calc IV is another name for diffy q's. We did series in calc II.

I'm not looking forward to Calc II... I managed a B in Calc I somehow, so God know how I'll do in the second half. But I think I might have it a little easier than you? We didn't even get to integrals at all last semester. And we never learned how to differentiate trig stuff in class; we just spent lots of time on exponentials/logs...(Maybe it's because it's an "applied" class? *Shrugs*)

But good luck to you. Hopefully we'll both get by this semester. :luck:

I'm not looking forward to Calc II... I managed a B in Calc I somehow, so God know how I'll do in the second half. But I think I might have it a little easier than you? We didn't even get to integrals at all last semester. And we never learned how to differentiate trig stuff in class; we just spent lots of time on exponentials/logs...(Maybe it's because it's an "applied" class? *Shrugs*)

But good luck to you. Hopefully we'll both get by this semester. :luck:
Thanks, you too. We both will probably need it but no matter what the semester will finish and calculus will be a thing of the past. :p

oran berry, thank you for the link to that site. It looks like just about everything is on there (I went over integration by parts and that site was really helpful).
How did you get through all of it in just a few days though? Did take a lot of time to go through each section/chapter? Cause integration by parts took me a while to read through.

Also thanks to all of your opinions and advice (and good luck wishes...I seem to be getting a lot of those :xf:), in one sense it's helped put me to ease knowing what I am up against...on the other I am more worried and scared about what is to come. :smuggrin:
The mixed opinions were interesting though, some of you guys seemed to like Calc II and found it better thank Calc I. While others seemed to have a far worse time in Calc II.

Our school has two different calc II courses and i'm still unsure of which i'm going to go with.
However the course description basically says that we'll cover derivatives and antiderivatives of the transcendental functions, methods of integration, applications of definite integrals, sequences, improper integrals, and series.

The other course is biology oriented and that covers exponential and logarithmic functions, differential equations, matrices, systems of differential equations, and an introduction to probability and statistics.

Both seem pretty tough so i'll keep all of your advice in well in mind. I am wondering why I didn't just sign up for stats this semester instead but alas tis' the point of no return.

Ugh, the dreaded Calc II. Learn to love integrals. Purchase a TI-89. I got a C and I was on the verge of failing before the final. The course load is HEAVY, so make sure you are not taking it with a lot of other classes. I recommend doing every practice problem, especially the hard ones cause those will be on the tests. There was no curve in my class, but I did well on 2 exams. One exam was on integrals and rotating lines around different axes to create different shaped objects, i.e. washer or cone or other types and how to find their volumes. It also included basic series. But I studied rigorously for that exam and did well. I also did well on the final because I studied over all my old tests and made sure I could do every single one of those problems. Then I did all of the quiz problems, and all of the end of chapter problems from the book. All of the questions were from those materials and just had different numbers which helped a lot.
I'm also going to be taking a sophomore level biology class, chem II, chem lab and geography class...:scared:

Thank you again guys, it makes me feel a little better knowing i'm not alone in facing this monster of a subject. :luck: