For those who already matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columnar

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who matched last year and are starting rads this year, when are you taking step 3 and is your program requiring you to take the test before starting?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking it in April. Want to get it out of the way, plus my TY pays for a good chunk of it.

Taking it in April. Want to get it out of the way, plus my TY pays for a good chunk of it.

That's nice of your program to pay for part of it. But I guess the question is-does your PGY-2 program require you to take it and pass before starting? And what if you fail it given that there is a score delay until June? I'm in the same boat, planning on taking it very soon but concerned given the delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if my PGY-2 requires it actually. I'm not concerned at all about passing it, but doing better than my step 1 and 2? Now that's a different story.

Do it as soon as you can.

You will be busier than you think as a radiology resident. No room for a useless exam.

Many programs want you to apply for a state license during you residency. You need step 3 for that.

Nobody care about the score of the exam. It is just pass or fail. Do it as soon as you can. Though some may state that it is important for radiology fellowship application, believe me, it is useless.

whatever you do, take it early. wasting even a week in your first year would be a terrible decision to put time to that test