For those who applied to both MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siliconknight00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Where did you send your recommendation letter that you received from your DO physician.

Did you send it to your undergraduate comitttee who stored it on file and sent it to ALL THE SCHOOLS that you applied (including the allopathic ones) or did you use interfolio seperately or directly sent it to each school?

Any reply would be appreciated it.

I'm considering applying all D.O. schools this upcoming cycle and including couple of in-state MD ones and would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both- but I shadowed a DO after my committee letter had already been sent out. So the DO sent it to my pre-health committee and I had them send it to all DO schools (only). Good luck!

The way my school did it was that it went either to all of the schools or to none of the schools. So my advisor suggested that it was best to include it rather than not. Afterall, a physician is a physician.

It didn't seem to hurt me or my chances since I've had interview offers from both DO and MD schools with a sub-par GPA but very good MCAT score and have acceptances from both.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both. I've worked at a hospital for 5 years now (as of tomorrow), and I've got to know quite a few physicians. ND isn't crawling with DO's, but there are a few.

If you need to find one, try the American Osteopathic Assn's website: http://www.osteopathic.org/ There's a "Find a DO" link on the front page, you can't miss it. Call one and say you're thinking about osteopathic medical school and would like to shadow.

I had an MD write a rec and sent it to all my schools (MD and DO) through interfolio. I had a DO write a separate letter, and sent that one to all the osteopathic schools. My DO wrote his letter late, and submitted it just recently, so the interviews I got were thanks to the MD. You can find links to a list of schools that require DO letters by finding one of Chocolate Bear's postings--the link is in his signature--or using the search box in the top right.

I am actually torn on this issue because my letter from a DO specifically talks about why I want to be a DO not just a physician. So I don't think I am going to send this out to the MD schools as don't think it will help my chances and could potentially hurt. I have already received an acceptance to a DO school and I have on interview pending and have completed one interview and am waiting for a decision at MD schools.....anyone have some advice?

Thanks everyone

So if I want, I can have my undergrad committee send out comittee letters to all MD and DO schools and then through interfolio, send out the DO letter of rec specifically to the DO schools right?

I applied to both MD schools and DO schools. I had my physician letter (which was written by an MD) sent to my pre-health committee at my school. They included it with my committee packet that was sent to all the schools I applied to (both DO and MD). I think that they sent it through virtual-evals, which most schools accept. All the DO schools that I applied too took my MD letter as my physician letter as well, for what it is worth. Hope that helps!

So if I want, I can have my undergrad committee send out comittee letters to all MD and DO schools and then through interfolio, send out the DO letter of rec specifically to the DO schools right?

Once the letter is on Interfolio, you're in charge. You have to pick which letters you want them to send to each school you're applying to. I used it; it's very easy to do. The downside is that it costs $4 or $6 (depending on electronic or paper, respectively) for each school per delivery. So if you send a bunch of letters in, then have to add another letter separately in another delivery, they'll charge you $4-6 each time.

And Whoknows, I probably wouldn't send a DO letter to MD schools if it were me. You're setting yourself up for a lot of awkward questions in the interview by doing that. E.g. "Why did you apply here if you want to be a DO so badly?"

I am actually torn on this issue because my letter from a DO specifically talks about why I want to be a DO not just a physician. So I don't think I am going to send this out to the MD schools as don't think it will help my chances and could potentially hurt. I have already received an acceptance to a DO school and I have on interview pending and have completed one interview and am waiting for a decision at MD schools.....anyone have some advice?

Thats exactly why I had mine only sent to DO schools... my letter writer said he was going to write how I had clearly put thought into my decision to apply to DO schools, that I would be a good fit, etc. So I didn't know how allopathic adcoms would view it.
I'm sure it would not hurt to have it sent to both though...

Last edited:
My undergrade doesn't allow students to send DO recommendations to MD schools because it can lead to "mix messages."

Where did you send your recommendation letter that you received from your DO physician.

Did you send it to your undergraduate comitttee who stored it on file and sent it to ALL THE SCHOOLS that you applied (including the allopathic ones) or did you use interfolio seperately or directly sent it to each school?

Any reply would be appreciated it.

I'm considering applying all D.O. schools this upcoming cycle and including couple of in-state MD ones and would appreciate any advice.

thats exactly what I did!

Guess I'll add this... I told my MD recommender that I was applying to both MD and DO, and asked him to write a letter that would be appropriate for both. I told my DO recommender that I was applying to both, but would only use his letter for DO schools, so he could be as specific as he wanted. If I'd needed a more general letter, he'd have been on board with that, and I wouldn't have hesitated to send a more general letter from a DO to the allopathic schools. I doubt they would really mind. I'm not convinced letters of rec will move your file too far one way or the other unless a building on campus is named for your letter writer.

So bottom line is, talk to those writing your recs. Make sure they know what your intentions are, and ask them if their letter will suit your needs. It may help them to know specifically what you need.

Guess I'll add this... I told my MD recommender that I was applying to both MD and DO, and asked him to write a letter that would be appropriate for both. I told my DO recommender that I was applying to both, but would only use his letter for DO schools, so he could be as specific as he wanted. If I'd needed a more general letter, he'd have been on board with that, and I wouldn't have hesitated to send a more general letter from a DO to the allopathic schools. I doubt they would really mind. I'm not convinced letters of rec will move your file too far one way or the other unless a building on campus is named for your letter writer.

So bottom line is, talk to those writing your recs. Make sure they know what your intentions are, and ask them if their letter will suit your needs. It may help them to know specifically what you need.

wise words