For those who are still waiting for the LOR's

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2002
35 miles from Pomona
    I posted a few days ago that I was still waiting for 3 profs to finish their LOR's. I was asking for advice on how I could gently remind these wonderful people that their failure to write the letter could mean the difference between life and death (well, ok, not that bad).

Anyhoo, I figured I had little to lose by sending them an e-mail. I decided to send it as part reminder and part joke. I basically said that their's was the last and was necessary. I also said something like "make sure you send the one that has all of the exaggerations and positive remarks". I'm telling those who are still waiting this story because I got an instant reply from all 3 and they ALL forgot to do it (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). But, they apologized and said that they'd do it right away.

So, the moral is, be a goofy joker and the world is your oyster.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 2, 2002
    New England
    1. Attending Physician
      Originally posted by Toejam
      I posted a few days ago that I was still waiting for 3 profs to finish their LOR's. I was asking for advice on how I could gently remind these wonderful people that their failure to write the letter could mean the difference between life and death (well, ok, not that bad).

Anyhoo, I figured I had little to lose by sending them an e-mail. I decided to send it as part reminder and part joke. I basically said that their's was the last and was necessary. I also said something like "make sure you send the one that has all of the exaggerations and positive remarks". I'm telling those who are still waiting this story because I got an instant reply from all 3 and they ALL forgot to do it (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). But, they apologized and said that they'd do it right away.

So, the moral is, be a goofy joker and the world is your oyster.

Well, I didn't do that for mu academic letters, 'cause I didn't really know them all that well. But for my DO letter writer, who was a former medic partner of mine for many years, I told him that the letter should be low-key - like how I saved him from a life of crack addiction, etc. He wrote back that when he was finished, and that he had to shower three times after writing it, he felt so dirty. Heh.

- Tae

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.