For those who are still waiting for the LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago that I was still waiting for 3 profs to finish their LOR's. I was asking for advice on how I could gently remind these wonderful people that their failure to write the letter could mean the difference between life and death (well, ok, not that bad).

Anyhoo, I figured I had little to lose by sending them an e-mail. I decided to send it as part reminder and part joke. I basically said that their's was the last and was necessary. I also said something like "make sure you send the one that has all of the exaggerations and positive remarks". I'm telling those who are still waiting this story because I got an instant reply from all 3 and they ALL forgot to do it (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). But, they apologized and said that they'd do it right away.

So, the moral is, be a goofy joker and the world is your oyster.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Toejam
I posted a few days ago that I was still waiting for 3 profs to finish their LOR's. I was asking for advice on how I could gently remind these wonderful people that their failure to write the letter could mean the difference between life and death (well, ok, not that bad).

Anyhoo, I figured I had little to lose by sending them an e-mail. I decided to send it as part reminder and part joke. I basically said that their's was the last and was necessary. I also said something like "make sure you send the one that has all of the exaggerations and positive remarks". I'm telling those who are still waiting this story because I got an instant reply from all 3 and they ALL forgot to do it (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). But, they apologized and said that they'd do it right away.

So, the moral is, be a goofy joker and the world is your oyster.

Well, I didn't do that for mu academic letters, 'cause I didn't really know them all that well. But for my DO letter writer, who was a former medic partner of mine for many years, I told him that the letter should be low-key - like how I saved him from a life of crack addiction, etc. He wrote back that when he was finished, and that he had to shower three times after writing it, he felt so dirty. Heh.

- Tae