For Those Who Had >15 Applications Complete By Mid-august

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HAVE YOU BEEN INVITED TO INTERVIEW?

• Yes

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 37.5%

• Total voters
S

shamthis

Have you had any invites to interview yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose I'm starting to panic, then. Clearly, the majority of applicants who've filed more than fifteen apps by mid-August have had some bites. Last year- by this time, I filed about 8 and already scheduled four interviews. I wonder if all the schools know something really bad about me that I don't. Is there such thing as the blacklist in med school applications? Why else would schools show extreme interest in me up until November, 2001, then stop altogether (meaning no acceptance after interviews and no interview offers the next year)? This whole process is starting to freak me out.... BIG time.

Please take no offense to this inquiry:
Did you interview well or were you nervous?

My friend was extremely nervous and was subsequently rejected at the school. She interviewed at the same school the next year and was more prepared as she did mock interviews with professional friends.

Maybe I am completely wrong, and you interviewed very well. If that's the case then it's clearly their oversight and loss.

Cheer up and don't panic just yet since interviews are offered through March and April.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was somewhat nervous. I was also naive and a little arrogant. I was not the best interviewer. That doesn't explain why I haven't heard a peep from anyone this year. Nobody's giving me a chance to show them I've changed.

I applied to 13 schools last fall. I applied to 23 this fall. 11 of this year's applications are repeats from last year.

Just checked the mail...nothing...

Another year of hell ahead...

care to post your stats and the schools to which you applied> Also, at how many of the schools are your applications complete, and on what dates. There could be a lot of reasons. If all else fails, call the schools and start checking to make sure your apps are complete. I've been waiting on a lot of schools for interviews, but every day I hear from another that they're missing some little thing. On the upside, I did hear that the number of applicants is down again for the fifth straight year.

CUM GPA: 3.5
BCPM GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 30R (9,11,10,R)
Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences
Biological Sciences

Schools range alphabetically and competitively from Albany to Yale.

I am sorry, I don't feel comfortable telling you more. ;)

Originally posted by nitemagi
On the upside, I did hear that the number of applicants is down again for the fifth straight year.

Well I guess that could be a good news. I say "could" because the number of applicants may be down, but that doesn't mean that the strength of the pool is any less than the previous years. I'll keep my fingers crossed +pissed+

Originally posted by shamthis
CUM GPA: 3.5
BCPM GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 30R (9,11,10,R)
Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences
Biological Sciences

Schools range alphabetically and competitively from Albany to Yale.

I am sorry, I don't feel comfortable telling you more. ;)

Those are pretty solid stats. I'm surprised you didn't get in last year. How's your EC, research, etc? Did your grades have an upward trend?

Originally posted by FlySi80
Those are pretty solid stats. I'm surprised you didn't get in last year.

Ouch.

No, seriously. I was a 4 year varsity athlete, did research since I was a sophomore, without publiucation. 2 solid years of paid and volunteer clinical experience. GPA was 3.7 freshman, 3.1 soph, 3.7 junior, 3.5 senior. (zig-zag)

I don't know why I didn't get in- I blame arrogance, if anything... or naivete maybe... dunno.

Hey Sham,
I got 18 secondaries under my belt and not a peep. We are panicking for no reason, a lot of the kids at my school are still filing AMCAS. Make sure you keep in touch with each school, and let them know how intersested you are.

Originally posted by shamthis
Ouch.

No, seriously. I was a 4 year varsity athlete, did research since I was a sophomore, without publiucation. 2 solid years of paid and volunteer clinical experience. GPA was 3.7 freshman, 3.1 soph, 3.7 junior, 3.5 senior. (zig-zag)

I don't know why I didn't get in- I blame arrogance, if anything... or naivete maybe... dunno.

Well this only confirms my belief that medical school acceptance is arbitrary(I'm exaggerating of course). I mean, how can anybody tell from a half-hour or one-hour meeting that you're gonna be a good or lousy doctor? Depending on who you get as the interviewer, he/she might think you'll be an exceptional candidate for medicine or exceptionally unqualified to be a doctor. The only thing we can do is try the best that we can, hope for the best, and whatever happens happens.