For those who have applied more than once..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisygirl

woof
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know the following:
1-Did you rewrite your personal essay?
2-Did you rewrite all of your secondary essays?
or
3-Did you basically keep your essays and just tweak them a bit (personal and secondary)?

Thanks for the info. I am preparing myself for the worst!

;)

Members don't see this ad.

1-YES!!! Don't recycle the primary essay! Use the opportunity to tell repeat schools more about yourself.

2-It's good to keep your secondary essays. If you are applying to a new school, you can pull from old secondaries. DON'T send the same essay to a single school. The key is to give them as much info as you can.

3-I think I already answered this.

Good Luck! Stay optimistic til the bitter end.

1- I wrote a completely different personal essay. I reapplied to a couple of schools and knew for a fact that one of them keeps old apps and refers to them sometimes so I wanted to show them that there is more to me than what they rejected the first time. ;)

2- I kept all of my old secondaries to refer to for material this time around. However, I did not send the same secondary essays to schools I was reapplying to.

3- If I was reapplying to a school, I wrote a completely new essay. If it was a school that I hadn't previously applied to, I used/tweaked essays from the previous application process if they were revelvant.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help.
Good luck to the both of you also :) :D :)

I have a list called [email protected]

it is a list for people who are applying again. :)

So far, there are only 4 people on the list. But it would be fun if we can have more people. :)

if you want to subscribe, just send an email to

[email protected]

then just follow the direction

i applied again.
i changed everything. new PS (similar topics though).
OFCOURSE i didn't write the same garbage for the secondaries. if you have to apply again, you may find out in a year that you've matured quite a bit. i think that alone will make your writing (PS, secondaries, even the mcat essays) stronger because your ideas and ways of expressing them have evolved. actually i even got some extra letters of rec to add to my committee letter. so i pretty much did some tweaking to the entire application. ofcourse i tweaked my gpa for the worse, as well. we'll see how it turns out. good luck to you

As a reapplicant this year,
(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Sort of....

In my mind, these are impt, but not critical. The more critical components are: MCAT, GPA and EC's. Also, if your GPA is not that great, a good MCAT score can offset a low GPA in my opinion.

1-Did you rewrite your personal essay?

Completely and totally. There were way too many changes in my life between last year and this year and I wanted my personal statement to reflect that somewhat.

2-Did you rewrite all of your secondary essays?
or
3-Did you basically keep your essays and just tweak them a bit (personal and secondary)?

I mostly rewrote my secondary essays. I only reapplied to two of the same schools. One of those schools did not require essays and the other (Pritzker) had similar questions, but as I said, my life changed, so... My secondary essays changed too, to reflect my new take on a lot of things in life. However, I did recycle them between schools if the questions were similar enough. It gets tedious writing the same thing over and over from scratch, as you know ;)

The essays and stuff were definitely not the only thing about my app that changed. I have more volunteer experiences, leadership experience, and research experience, and my GPA is higher. I didn't retake the MCAT because I could not imagine being in that dungeon again for 9 hours. I only used 3 of the same LORs from last year to this year-- the rest are different. I also applied to DO schools this year, which I did not last year.

Good luck. And keep your optimism up. I should probably follow my own advice on that ;)