For those who matched at Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BassDominator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Penn since match day? Just getting a little nervous that I missed something.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, I haven't heard anything since Dr. Fleischer called on Match Day.

lh2004, do you know if Penn has a match list up on their website? I couldn't find one. I'm really curious to see who our classmates are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bassdominator:

No, I haven't seen a list of Penn matches on their website either. Like you, I am curious who else will be in our class. It looks like only a few of us posted on here earlier that we matched at Penn.

Where are you headed for internship?

-lh2004

Unless you're in the categorical program (1xPresby + 3xHUP), I think people should realize that we don't have anything to do with the program until our PGY-2 or 2005/2006. I heard from Dr.Fleisher and I'm satisfied for now. I would say if you guys are nervous, just call the wonderful Ann P.

Otherwise I'm excited about the incoming class :thumbup: . Which brings me to my next point:

I'm trying to put together a list, or just plain find out who our class is. I got an email list going and we got 5 people on it so far. Perhaps a happy hour or a few are in order to hang out and get to meet each other. So please PM me if you haven't done so yet.

Godspeed.

lh2004,

I'm doing internship at Greenwich Hospital in CT. My wife is from the Philly area, so I go down there often. Maybe we could get some folks together sometime.

Krafty,

Thanks again for getting that email list going.

Bass

Oh man, are you guys serious? I'm starting as CA-1, and they sent me a packet 2 weeks ago. They had a letter of intent in there that needed to be signed and returned to their offices by april 12th or else they were going to void our spots. HAHA Just kidding, don't get mad guys, we'll be working together for 3 years. Seriously though I was wondering if we were going to get anything in the mail so I emailed Ann and she said that we won't get anything in the mail until next year. I'm actually from the midwest, so do you guys know where to at live in philly? And are you guys going to rent or buy a place?

There are several luxury high rise buildings in center city that run about $1500/month for a one bedroom. Lots of residents and young professionals live there. I'm used to NYC prices, so this seems like a steal to me.

The one thing that is true about Philly is that it is the MOST AFFORDABLE of the major cities. Which means the resident salary will have you basically living like a King. I already clocked an appartment with my fiancee (2bed/2bath/central air/wash/dry/2stories + parking spot) downtown $1200.

There are many different areas one can live, as Philly is kind of patchy. You can be in suburbia, or center city. Some of good Center City areas are Olde City (you can live in historic buildings - that's where they're filming Real World Philly), Washington Square, around the Art Museum, and if you're willing to splurge a little bit (NYC people this should be a gift of god to you) - Rittenhouse or Society Hill. I have seen 1 bed, 2 story lofts (2 story windows) for $1200.

Long story short, I do not know another major metropolitan area with housing as affordable as this. Get ready for gin a juice people (as well as crazy overnight trauma call).

I know Philly relatively well, so PM me if you have some more questions.

I went to med school in the Bronx.... gotta love the "knife and gun" club. I'm not one to laugh at other's misfortune, but I thought I'd share an interesting county hospital story:

Guy comes into the ER on a Friday night stabbed multiple times in the chest and in pretty bad shape.... so bad, we didn't think he'd make the trip up to the OR. Surprisingly, after several hours of surgery, he's almost good as new.... only *****s can be that lucky. So, the next day I go to say hello and find out the story.

Turns out, he was fighting over a girl with his brother, and the brother stabbed him. A little while later, I see a guy going down the hallway that looks almost exactly like the patient, so I call security thinking it's the brother. The cops are dragging this guy down the hallway, kicking and screeming, when the patient comes out and says, "it's all good... he can stay." The two brothers then hug and fool around like nothing happened.

I'm sitting there thinking, dude, this guy just stabbed you, nearly killed you, no less.... and "it's all good"? Did you not realize that stabbing people can kill them? Geez... it makes me sad that stuff like this happens every day, but I still get a good laugh out of the folks that can get a good laugh out of being shot/stabbed.