For those who matched last year, how far did you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How far did you go on your match list?

• I'm a US MD- matched #1

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I'm a US MD- matched #2-3

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I'm a US MD- matched #4-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a US MD- matched #6 or greater

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm a US MD- didn't match

• I'm a IMG/FMG/DO- matched #1

• I'm a IMG/FMG/DO- matched #2-3

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm a IMG/FMG/DO- matched #4-5

• I'm a IMG/FMG/DO- matched #6 or greater

• I'm a IMG/FMG/DO- didn't match

• Total voters

alcmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I made this mainly to comfort myself since I am currently employed in another specialty and only have time to squeeze in 6 interviews. Word on the interview trail is that path has gotten much more competitive in the last few years and I'm scared to death that I won't match.

Completely anonymous... no details required... just hoping to ease my non-matching paranoia.

Members don't see this ad.

Worrying you won't match is a hard thing to convince yourself of otherwise! Even though everywhere I went last year seemed to tell me that I wasn't going to have much trouble, I still worried. Sometimes all it takes is one story (often times taken out of context) to get the butterflies stirring again. But don't forget, while path is becoming more competitive, it is all still relative.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
Worrying you won't match is a hard thing to convince yourself of otherwise! Even though everywhere I went last year seemed to tell me that I wasn't going to have much trouble, I still worried. Sometimes all it takes is one story (often times taken out of context) to get the butterflies stirring again. But don't forget, while path is becoming more competitive, it is all still relative.

I heard years agoooo, legend, maybe urban myth , of the guy who graduated AOA from my med school, did a prelim year at Hopkins and then just started praticing doing a combo of clinical work, radiology and path. He opened up his own little full service operation with the knowledge gleemed from just a few rotations in each of these fields. He eventually became very wealthy and retired at 40. I always wondered if there was a story like this at every med school...Screw residency I say!

LADoc00 said:
I heard years agoooo, legend, maybe urban myth , of the guy who graduated AOA from my med school, did a prelim year at Hopkins and then just started praticing doing a combo of clinical work, radiology and path. He opened up his own little full service operation with the knowledge gleemed from just a few rotations in each of these fields. He eventually became very wealthy and retired at 40. I always wondered if there was a story like this at every med school...Screw residency I say!

Ha! The other part of the urban myth is probably that he became wealthy from winning the lottery or inventing a non-combustible yet sturdy fabric. :laugh: :laugh:

I find it hard to see how someone could do their own work like this and become wealthy - the overhead is too great. Successful businesses, to be sure, often do well because they don't have to depend on others. But they also do well because they work in volume and trim overhead - like Walmart. What does he do? Buy his own tissue processors, microscope, xray and CT machine, surgical tools, etc? Shenanigans, I cry!

Thanks for getting in on this guys!

I'm just sweating bullets over the fact I only have time to interview at 6. Hopefully the matching trend will hold true and next year at this time I'll be in