For those who posted questions about partI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabba

beezer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...i know this is a forum for dental students to help one another, but at the same time, I don't think that people should be posting questions that were actually on the exam. This is just really unfair for those people who have put in a lot of effort studying for the boards. The reason I say this is that according the ADA report, they have limited source where they use questions for computer and written NBDE. I apoligize for my candor, but I just want to support those who have studied hard and have already taken the exam. Does anyone agree with me??

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Jabba said:
hey guys..Does anyone agree with me??

Thank you.

No, but i respect your opinion.

I agree with you Jabba. If I'm not mistaken, they instruct you during the exam (in written or oral instructions) NOT to discuss questions with anyone. It was a long and exhausting day, but I'm pretty darn sure they told us that in the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are completely correct, which is why I refrained from taking part in that discussion. They explained very clearly to us before the exam that we were not to reveal any questions. I think we even signed something to that effect.

Having said that, I'll bet a lot of people joined the conversation without even thinking about it. People are always eager to talk about the questions to kind of "decompress" after an exam. If it's really a problem, I'm sure the moderator could just delete it.

I understand what you guys are saying, but what ever happened to freedom of speech?? Its not like i'm going to write down word for word each question that was on the exam, but I dont see anything wrong with discussing questions that seemed tough, or that I remembered.

I have never taken the exam, and if they make you sign something to shut you up that might make my defense irrelevant.

Bickle said:
I understand what you guys are saying, but what ever happened to freedom of speech?? Its not like i'm going to write down word for word each question that was on the exam, but I dont see anything wrong with discussing questions that seemed tough, or that I remembered.

I have never taken the exam, and if they make you sign something to shut you up that might make my defense irrelevant.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

You do sign to not discuss it...so I guess you only don't talk about it if you integrity is worth something.

Bickle - "I have never taken the exam, and if they make you sign something to shut you up..."

Not to trample on toes, but that would be NB Pt 1.

However, I would agree that MOST students discuss q's with each other immediately after the test to ease stress which may be against the rules, but harmless. Forums like this are a unique situation, and ppl probably shouldn't be discussing specific q's when future test takers are "around".

BTW, free speech doesn't apply to "private" tests where intellectual property is at stake and you agree to a certain contract, although I doubt it will ever be a case in court.

I don't understand how it can be so private if they've released so many exams, and so many of the questions are repeated. It's no big secret that the material is redundant.

I am curious, with the advent of computerized testing, how they comprise the exam for those taking the boards after which time the majority of students have taken the written version. It would be advantageous if you could speak to a friend immediately subsequent to the test, and they could fill you in on all the tough questions. I would have to think that the material is not the same - to protect against such scheming (maybe not, I don't work for the ADA).

Still, I don't remember signing my silence as a vow to protect against proprietary promiscuity: There were instructions not to discuss the test, as it was happening, with any other test taker during a break while using the facilities. That would've resulted in forfeiture of scores and a prolonged wait for retesting. Gee, I hope I didn't miss something. :scared:

*locks doors, peers repeatedly out window, jumps at every little sound, cowers in the corner at sirens, hides under the bed when there's a knock at the door, screens phone calls, watches rear-view mirror for surveillance...*

Page 9 of my Candidate Guide to Part I, #6 under Examination Regulations states: "Further, each candidate is prohibited from communicating test-item information to agencies or individuals. Violation of this provision causes the candidate's scores to be voided. The examination fee is not refunded and the candidate must wait two years before being retested." I believe by signing the application to take the boards, your ticket to the boards, your answer sheet, and/or your exam book, and by the act of taking the exam, you agree to these rules. I believe these regulations were also read during the initial instructions of the test.

Honestly, I'm not trying to pick on anyone and frankly don't care what others do all that much. But, it is a "rule", so take it for what you feel it is worth. Just another bored, post-NB pt I Wed night for me. And that's my motivation for posting this :)

Jabba said:
hey guys...i know this is a forum for dental students to help one another, but at the same time, I don't think that people should be posting questions that were actually on the exam. This is just really unfair for those people who have put in a lot of effort studying for the boards. The reason I say this is that according the ADA report, they have limited source where they use questions for computer and written NBDE. I apoligize for my candor, but I just want to support those who have studied hard and have already taken the exam. Does anyone agree with me??

Thank you.

You are such a HYPOCRITE. These were your posts asking for help for the exact same thing, test formats, exam questions...Base on your above post, if you're not allowed to talk/write/discuss about the exam than you shall not allowed to talk/write/discuss about the exam in any shapes or forms. PERIOD. I don't have any problems with that. It's only fair/integrity/rules...whatever u want to call it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1599539#post1599539
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1526139#post1526139

If people post questions and you don't want to answer them, fine, move on. Don't even start about "unfair" or "ADA report" Is it really "unfair"? I guess you're one of the "those people who have put in a lot of effort studying for the boards" so it is "unfair" to you? I can see the resemblance of back-stabbers, gunners in my class, people who would do anything to get ahead in class and don't give a **** about friends, fellow classmates.
If I help my classmates to understand something better, or to do a procedure better, am I being "unfair" to myself, jeopadizing my class ranking, being "unfair" to others who are not being helped?

"according the ADA report, they have limited source where they use questions for computer and written NBDE" give me a break, why don't u give it some thoughts; it doesn't make any friggin' sense. Sell it somewhere else because I'm not buying it!

A few questions are not going to make a big difference, just maybe (if any) a difference b/w pass/fail, good/better result. relax, lighten up a little bit. stop worrying about "unfair". Life is not fair. Bad **** happens to good people all the time. If I had a buck for everytime I heard "unfair" being said all the b!tching and moaning, all for the wrong reasons, in dental school, I would have enough money to pay for my tuition already!

"I just want to support those who have studied hard and have already taken the exam" huh? what? :confused: So you don't support those who have not studied hard and have not taken the exam? Try to take NDB with just those questions/answers being posted!

This is what I try to adhere by in dental school : Mind My own business. Help those who asks for help, and not expecting anything in return because most likely I won't get it! Take everybody's words with a grain of salt, Do whatever your instructors/professors said, if they tell u to bend over, so be it :D . ...Maybe u should try that some time.

Just because my buddy and I are taking the same CBT exam, same day, same time, it doesn't mean that we'll both get the same identical questions. Memorizing the Q&A doesn't mean u'll get the answers right once it's been rephased. Ever heard of randomization. Do you think the examiners are that stupid? They're always one step ahead of everybody. So stop worrying about the "unfair", the effect of the curve, what ifs.....

I apologize for my friggin' candor too! still respect your opinion though :D

lnn2 said:
You are such a HYPOCRITE. These were your posts asking for help for the exact same thing, test formats, exam questions...Base on your above post, if you're not allowed to talk/write/discuss about the exam than you shall not allowed to talk/write/discuss about the exam in any shapes or forms.

If people post questions and you don't want to answer them, fine, move on. Don't even start about "unfair" or "ADA report" Is it really "unfair"? I guess you're one of the "those people who have put in a lot of effort studying for the boards" so it is "unfair" to you? I can see the resemblance of back-stabbers, gunners in my class, people who would do anything to get ahead in class and don't give a **** about friends, fellow classmates.
If I help my classmates to understand something better, or to do a procedure better, am I being "unfair" to myself, jeopadizing my class ranking, being "unfair" to others who are not being helped?

"according the ADA report, they have limited source where they use questions for computer and written NBDE" give me a break, why don't u give it some thoughts; it doesn't make any friggin' sense. Sell it somewhere else because I'm not buying it!

A few questions are not going to make a big difference, just maybe (if any) a difference b/w pass/fail, good/better result. relax, lighten up a little bit. stop worrying about "unfair". Life is not fair. Bad **** happens to good people all the time. If I had a buck for everytime I heard "unfair" being said all the b!tching and moaning, all for the wrong reasons, in dental school, I would have enough money to pay for my tuition already!

"I just want to support those who have studied hard and have already taken the exam" huh? what? :confused: So you don't support those who have not studied hard and have not taken the exam? Try to take NDB with just those questions/answers being posted!

This is what I try to adhere by in dental school : Mind My own business. Help those who asks for help, and not expecting anything in return because most likely I won't get it! Take everybody's words with a grain of salt, Do whatever your instructors/professors said, if they tell u to bend over, so be it :D ....Maybe u should try that some time.

I apologize for my friggin' candor too!

:clap: :laugh: :clap: go lnn2 go!!!

that was great. Epic blast

Members don't see this ad :)
I am apologized if I offended people but the reason why I said this is that my school gives students the option to take the written or computer partI. I TOOK the COMPUTER version two days ago and questions you are posting will or already have appeared on the computer version. What it comes down to is being fair to other students who have taken it.

Hey Coodoo, what happens if all those questions appear on the exam. Then, it be good for you are your buddy and bad for all of us. Just play it fair. And the reason why I asked for some questions on the board is that I wanted to see if the exam questions were similar to the released board. I knew they were going to repeat concepts but I didn't know they were putting same questions. Also, I didn't know students were willing to give out 5-10 Q's at a time.

DDSSlave said:
However, I would agree that MOST students discuss q's with each other immediately after the test to ease stress which may be against the rules, but harmless. Forums like this are a unique situation, and ppl probably shouldn't be discussing specific q's when future test takers are "around".

I think that you are right. I got caught up in the excitement. I also don't think we should discuss individual q's. I went back and deleted the ones I posted and I think everyone probably should, just to keep things fair. I for one was pretty upset about the whole "leaked" 2000 exam and I don't think this is much different.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
I think that you are right. I got caught up in the excitement. I also don't think we should discuss individual q's. I went back and deleted the ones I posted and I think everyone probably should, just to keep things fair. I for one was pretty upset about the whole "leaked" 2000 exam and I don't think this is much different.
i second this notion. I studied much too hard for people to be getting the hard questions handed to them. my 2 cents...

DDSSlave - You forgot to mention item #4 under examination regulations:
"Candidates with watch alarms must turn them off so that the alarms do not beep."

I hope you've permanently turned off your watch alarm, because you agreed to such when you signed your exam form. C'mon. The regulations are for taking the exam. If you'd like to open the umbrella and walk under it for your whole life, go ahead; Just don't forget to repeat every time you rinse because your shampoo bottle tells you so.

This whole debate strikes me as paranoid and anal. If the commission can't forsee that these test items can be memorized and translated to future test takers, then it's on them for being too stupid to change the computerized test from the written version.

Further, if you're a student who is banking on doing well by eaveslooking into these specific questions - what, twenty out of four hundred - then you're going to be a sad idiot coming out of exam. It still all comes down to time, effort, natural gifts, abilities, and luck.

All those who feel it is not right to talk about the exam here should not open the threads dealing with the same and let others benefit.

Enjoy!

So you're saying ignoring something that you think is wrong is the best course of action? Doesn't sound like a good policy to me.

No thats not what I meant.....what I mean is that if you really feel it is wrong for people to discuss NB I and II questions here,they should not be reading this forum first and then commenting something like this.

As INN2 has pointed out Jabba has himself asked the very same questions about which he is being critical on others.that the highest level of double standards and hypocrisy for me.

BTW I have never ever mentioned about a single question which I have come across both the times I have taken Part I.I have put up a tut which is the result of my own hard work and I don't mind others benefitting from my hard work.

I had a PM from some one asking about the so-called 2000 exam and I told that person to ignore it and concentrate on the material officially released by the ADA and the Decks,which incidentally are not prepared by the ADA but rely on information about past papers and the like from students and faculty alike.

Cheers!

Well enough said. I have never had a problem with you gpg. I just don't like how people bash on others b/c they have different views in regards to morality issues. It's wrong to discuss the q's in a public forum where others who havn't taken the test can read them. If you have to justify it, that should be a sign that it is wrong.

Totally right.....thats what I meant......Live and Let Live.....don't act high and moral.....any way how you doing....I have taken the CBT(Part I) on Tues......it was pretty cool....hope to do well....and get into a good school.....keep in touch!

ddstothecor said:
DDSSlave - You forgot to mention item #4 under examination regulations:
"Candidates with watch alarms must turn them off so that the alarms do not beep."

I hope you've permanently turned off your watch alarm, because you agreed to such when you signed your exam form. C'mon. The regulations are for taking the exam. If you'd like to open the umbrella and walk under it for your whole life, go ahead; Just don't forget to repeat every time you rinse because your shampoo bottle tells you so.

This whole debate strikes me as paranoid and anal. If the commission can't forsee that these test items can be memorized and translated to future test takers, then it's on them for being too stupid to change the computerized test from the written version.

Further, if you're a student who is banking on doing well by eaveslooking into these specific questions - what, twenty out of four hundred - then you're going to be a sad idiot coming out of exam. It still all comes down to time, effort, natural gifts, abilities, and luck.

I wasn't going to continue the matter (nor was I that interested in it), but since you press me...

This is a link which states the regulations although written slightly differently (my written copy may have been an older version; not sure since I threw it away yesterday): http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/natboard/part1_written_reg.asp

You are referring to #2 which states:
A candidate is prohibited from talking or otherwise disrupting other candidates during the conduct of the National Board Dental Examinations.

and #7 which states:
A candidate is prohibited from copying or otherwise obtaining answers from any other candidate. A candidate is prohibited from providing answers to any other candidate.

If you will direct your attention to the use of the word "candidate" in each regulation.

#5 states: Further, each candidate is prohibited from removing, communicating or reproducing test-item information to or from agencies or individuals at any time.

Notice hear "agencies or individuals" is used and the emphesis is on reproducing test-item info after the fact.

I think these regulations are clearly written. Any views otherwise, I happen to think are misinterpretations or rationalizations. Whether we like them or not, we agreed to these regulations having taken the test and should act accordingly. But of course, to obey or disobey is always a personal choice.

I do completely agree with you that "[it] still all comes down to time, effort, natural gifts, abilities, and luck." The few questions from NB I July 2004 that were spilt here are probably of very little use.

To GPG, I have never asked no one to give me questions on the exam. I only asked for help. I could understand if you hint to other people, "yeah, you should focus on circulation, or focus on the movements in DAO since they were hard". But com'on giving people questions straight out of the exam while there are other students who haven't taken the it, that's just stupidity.
And if you think those couple a questions won't make a difference, then so be it. But students here are posting 5-10 Q's straight out of the exam. 1-2questions might not make a difference but 5-10 questions will impact your score.

Jabba said:
To GPG, I have never asked no one to give me questions on the exam. I only asked for help. I could understand if you hint to other people, "yeah, you should focus on circulation, or focus on the movements in DAO since they were hard". But com'on giving people questions straight out of the exam while there are other students who haven't taken the it, that's just stupidity.
And if you think those couple a questions won't make a difference, then so be it. But students here are posting 5-10 Q's straight out of the exam. 1-2questions might not make a difference but 5-10 questions will impact your score.

What if you are taking the exam today(after reading all the questions posted in this forum)? :D
In that case I don't think you would have started a thread like this :eek: :rolleyes:

lnn2 said:
You are such a HYPOCRITE. These were your posts asking for help for the exact same thing, test formats, exam questions...Base on your above post, if you're not allowed to talk/write/discuss about the exam than you shall not allowed to talk/write/discuss about the exam in any shapes or forms. PERIOD. I don't have any problems with that. It's only fair/integrity/rules...whatever u want to call it.

This is what I try to adhere by in dental school : Mind My own business. Help those who asks for help, and not expecting anything in return because most likely I won't get it! Take everybody's words with a grain of salt, Do whatever your instructors/professors said, if they tell u to bend over, so be it :D . ...Maybe u should try that some time.

Just because my buddy and I are taking the same CBT exam, same day, same time, it doesn't mean that we'll both get the same identical questions. Memorizing the Q&A doesn't mean u'll get the answers right once it's been rephased. Ever heard of randomization. Do you think the examiners are that stupid? They're always one step ahead of everybody. So stop worrying about the "unfair", the effect of the curve, what ifs.....

I apologize for my friggin' candor too! still respect your opinion though :D
:thumbup: :clap:

To my knowledge, no intellectual property or specific test questions along with answer choices have been posted (although I don't have the time to read every thing that is posted).

Those who feel they have posted something incorrectly are encouraged to use the "edit" post button to delete/alter their post.

I am NOT a proponent of posting exact exam questions along with the answer choices, but topics of discussion regarding theories, concepts, etc. are just that and nothing more.

Leave it to type A dental students to argue about sh@t like this, this is so typical. Who really cares.

If it is not word by word, I think it is fine.
Out instructors always says in our lectures, "BTW, this is a board question!"
There is nothing wrong to learn things from classman, right?

You guys are a bunch of cry babies!

DDSSlave - all the regulations you quote come straight out of conduct appropriated for the examination period. There's no way they can extend that beyond the sanctity of the testing environment. "At any time", is so vague, it could mean whatever you want it to.

I maintain that these instructions are for taking the test. I know in my school, we don't get paddled on the knuckles with rulers for discussing questions after the fact, and it simply won't happen in this real life situation either. You can go extremesist if you want, but I prefer to live under a saner umbrella.

BTW - anyone reading this should look out for klenoids - they're a real killer.

Fair enough. I'm not here to chastise anyone. As I said earlier, I completely understand students who like to discuss questions to see if they got them right or wrong. It's a way of stress relief. And certainly no school nor the ADA itself is going to paddle knuckles of students who do this on such a minor scale. Nevertheless, my interpretation still stands for it's worth (nothing), and I won't be discussing specific questions with anyone. Of course it doesn't hurt that I couldn't care less which questions I may have gotten wrong or right at this point. Just anxiously awaiting my grades like everyone else.

Here's hoping you and everyone else did as well as you hoped to.

Dude, are you for real? The analness of some dental students actually pains me.

DDSSlave said:
I wasn't going to continue the matter (nor was I that interested in it), but since you press me...

This is a link which states the regulations although written slightly differently (my written copy may have been an older version; not sure since I threw it away yesterday): http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/natboard/part1_written_reg.asp

You are referring to #2 which states:
A candidate is prohibited from talking or otherwise disrupting other candidates during the conduct of the National Board Dental Examinations.

and #7 which states:
A candidate is prohibited from copying or otherwise obtaining answers from any other candidate. A candidate is prohibited from providing answers to any other candidate.

If you will direct your attention to the use of the word "candidate" in each regulation.

#5 states: Further, each candidate is prohibited from removing, communicating or reproducing test-item information to or from agencies or individuals at any time.

Notice hear "agencies or individuals" is used and the emphesis is on reproducing test-item info after the fact.

I think these regulations are clearly written. Any views otherwise, I happen to think are misinterpretations or rationalizations. Whether we like them or not, we agreed to these regulations having taken the test and should act accordingly. But of course, to obey or disobey is always a personal choice.

I do completely agree with you that "[it] still all comes down to time, effort, natural gifts, abilities, and luck." The few questions from NB I July 2004 that were spilt here are probably of very little use.