For those who've been to the Grand Canyon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are going to Las Vegas this Saturday and will be driving from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. Is it better to go to the North Rim or South Rim? We were thinking of doing the mule ride to see the canyon. Do you guys have any suggestions regarding tours, sites to see, etc? Oh and we're on a budget so the cheaper the better :oops: Also, do you think one full day is enough to tour the place? We'll be renting a car from the airport and will be staying at a friend's house in Vegas.

Members don't see this ad.

The North Rim is generally colder then the South Rim. Both are at around 7,000 feet, so this time of year the south rim will be more enjoyable. You can do a few day hikes- Bright angel trail is fairly popular- I don't know about any guided tours though. If you talk to the rangers at the station, they can help you- Just so you know is takes several hours to go between the north and south rim

I agree with Dogg's post. If it were summer tourist season, I'd say North Rim - definitely. Less crowded and less touristy. This time of year, however, the South Rim will be inhabited and will be safer/more enjoyable, given the unpredictable winter weather. I'd stay overnight if at all possible - trying to do the whole canyon as a day trip from Las Vegas will be exhausting. Sunrise over the canyon will be nice and you won't be over-tired. Have a good time!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is just a big hole. But i concur, South Rim.

I think they might close the North Rim in the winter. Maybe only when they have a lot of snow up there though. If it's open, I would go see the North Rim because tourist buses aren't allowed up there, so there are less Japanese and European tourists to fend off. Seriously, they're taking over our National Parks.

Definately the south rim.

You do realize that going to the southern rim adds a significant amount of time to your trip right? The North rim from Vegas is barely a day trip (14 hr excursion, at least) the South rim (you have to drive around the ditch remember) is probably closer to 3 days round trip from Vegas (two to travel, one to see because the South Rim is also a bigger park with more vistas). Either way you are seeing, in my opinion, one of the handful of places that its existence alone proves that God exists.

Touchdown said:
You do realize that going to the southern rim adds a significant amount of time to your trip right? The North rim from Vegas is barely a day trip (14 hr excursion, at least) the South rim (you have to drive around the ditch remember) is probably closer to 3 days round trip from Vegas (two to travel, one to see because the South Rim is also a bigger park with more vistas). Either way you are seeing, in my opinion, one of the handful of places that its existence alone proves that God exists.

I used Mapquest to get the directions from Vegas to the South Rim and it takes approximately 4-1/2 hours from Vegas. :confused:

Has anyone ever tried the mule ride along the canyon? Are they any good?

RAD11 said:
Has anyone ever tried the mule ride along the canyon? Are they any good?

They are booked up for years, at least the ones I am aware of. Plus it is too cold at this time of year to do. Plus, costs are >$100/head, not exactly in your definition of cheap. Also, this has nothing remotely to do with medical school admissions, so can you please ask future questions elsewhere?

DetectiveChubby said:
It is just a big hole. But i concur, South Rim.

:laugh:
it's funny how everybody from AZ shares that exact same opinion.