Forced to take mostly easy courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blake1e

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as my chances for this cycle are bleak Ive signed up for 20 credits /6 classes for next semester. My problem is because I signed up so late all the good classes (read: upper level science) are all filled up.

I need to take as many sci classes as possible to boost my GPAs as much as possible for next cycle. As a result Im forced to take two bio intro courses, one intro geology, 2 mid-level bios and only one upper level chem course that has little to nothing to do with dental school (its about ways to determine a molecules structure).

Will admissions look down on me for taking easy classes and think I only did for the gpa boost? Because thats not true at all. I dont need easy courses to get straight As, as demonstrated in a previous semester of mine with all upper lv sci classes and a resulting 4.0 semester.

EDIT: Adding this (below) so you guys can better see where Im coming from and why I posted about it.

In my current school when they say intro what they really mean is the class is a level below the basic science prereqs needed for D school, it is in a way remedial. The "intro" science courses (at least in my school) are usually for non-science majors, so they can learn some science in a way thats not overwhelming for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it in Bio? havent you already taken your intro bios? It may look a little weird if you have a degree in bio and you're enrolled in intro classes

Is it in Bio? havent you already taken your intro bios? It may look a little weird if you have a degree in bio and you're enrolled in intro classes
In my current school when they say intro what they really mean is the class is a level below the basic science prereqs needed for D school, it is in a way remedial. The "intro" science courses (at least in my school) are usually for non-science majors, so they can learn some science in a way thats not overwhelming for them.

might look a little odd but i doubt it'd hurt your application

Reactions: 1 user
I just noticed an upper lv bio course opened up 1 seat. The course is anthro genomics. If I drop an intro bio class (which is 3 cred) I could fit in this 4 cred class to make 21 cred total.

Now I have another problem. Originally w/ my 20 cred schedule I had space for the 1 credit research position Im trying to get into (which Im sure I will b/c theres plenty of space avail), but now if I take that 4 cred upper bio class I'll have no space for research. hmmmm...

Well, uh, I think you are missing one of the obvious first steps to take. Especially if you REALLY need these classes, I would be doing everything I could to get into them. You aren't exhausting your options.

I have found that, in a variety of different circumstances, an appropriately-worded, sincere, and professional e-mail can get you a long way. I have gotten into quite a few "full" classes in that manner. Have you tried e-mailing your professors? Explain your situation to them, but be professional. Make them think that having you in their class would improve the experience for everyone. You may be surprised.

Edit: For the heck of it, I'll show you an e-mail I've actually sent before (that worked). Not my best, but one that I could find.

Dr. XXXX,

Good morning! My name is Glimmer1991, and I'm a junior biology major who has a favor to ask of you. I'm a commuter student and all summer long, I've been working diligently to tweak my schedule to have as few "gaps" between my classes as possible. However, with three science labs, this has been nearly impossible; I'm currently stuck having multiple 2-hour, 1-hour, and 45-minute gaps in my schedule basically every day of the week. Earlier today, though, I was able to snag a spot in an anatomy class that would give me the opportunity to get rid of two of my long gaps--so long as I was able to squeeze into your PHI 102 course. Sadly, though, the class is full. So, if there is ANY way that I could be worked into your course, I would be extremely grateful and promise to give my utmost effort throughout the semester. I understand that having over 30 students could be quite difficult, though, and that there may even be size constraints imposed by the classroom itself. Either way, I will continue checking the course daily to see if any slots open up. Thank you so much for your time, and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Last edited:
I just noticed an upper lv bio course opened up 1 seat. The course is anthro genomics. If I drop an intro bio class (which is 3 cred) I could fit in this 4 cred class to make 21 cred total.

Now I have another problem. Originally w/ my 20 cred schedule I had space for the 1 credit research position Im trying to get into (which Im sure I will b/c theres plenty of space avail), but now if I take that 4 cred upper bio class I'll have no space for research. hmmmm...

By crashing he means showing up on the first day of a class that's full and asking the professor to add the class, whether a space opened up or he is just able to add you.

But don't overwhelm yourself, you wanna set yourself up for success

Reactions: 1 user