When to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmer101

Reaction score
I am planning to start studying beginning of January and take test beginning of June. Is that too late to take the DAT considering I wil try to have the rest of my application fully completed before. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should be fine. Though 5-6 months is a long time to study. But take whatever time you need to!

If your app is ready outside of that, some schools will take your unofficial score. But your timeline sounds good

The only reason it’s that long is because I will be taking classes in the spring semester and will be studying during that time. When you say unofficial score are you implying that an official score will take a while to get to the school. Does it hurt to apply while your official score is being sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason it’s that long is because I will be taking classes in the spring semester and will be studying during that time. When you say unofficial score are you implying that an official score will take a while to get to the school. Does it hurt to apply while your official score is being sent out?
You’ll see your score once you finish the exam. You can share this score with schools while the official score is audited. This takes about 4 weeks.

It doesn’t hurt you. Actually it’s better to have everything ready and submitted and only wait on your score as your application takes time to get verified (2-4 weeks).

Hypothetically speaking if I don’t score what I want to score and I have to retake 3 months later. Is that bad if i submit with those but also letting them know i am retaking?

Hypothetically speaking if I don’t score what I want to score and I have to retake 3 months later. Is that bad if i submit with those but also letting them know i am retaking?
I don’t think it’s bad, but you’ll be pushing your application to “late” if you have to retake. Which is generally why I recommend taking the DAT in the early spring so if you do have to retake, you’re still on time for applications.

But I wouldn’t stress about retaking now. Just focus on studying for it when the time comes and doing your absolute best the first time

Awesome thank you! Do you have any recommendations on applying to OOS schools? Such as how many? How to show interest (if necessary and if didn’t or can’t attend pre dental day)? or anything else really.

Awesome thank you! Do you have any recommendations on applying to OOS schools? Such as how many? How to show interest (if necessary and if didn’t or can’t attend pre dental day)? or anything else really.
there are guides on this site and on youtube/google that explain it step by step...

agree with @macsak, there are plenty of resources you can search. Spend some time looking. Each school thread has their average states posted as well on SDN. It will depend on your stats. Generally a 19-20AA I'd recommend 10-12 (at least), a 21-22 maybe 8-10 schools, and then 23+ will depend on where you want to go and what you're trying to get out of your dental education. Maybe 6-10 schools. OOS schools will generally take students who have a strong mission to their school, have ties to the state (worked, went to undergrad, etc), or if you are a regional student in a nearby state. OOS schools are less likely to take students who are far away, as you're less likely to uproot and move across the country. But it happens, it's just less likely based on what I've seen/experienced.

See if schools host virtual meetings to get your name on their radar, or reach out to admissions to set up a 1-1 meeting to talk about the school. You have to take the initiative if there's a particular OOS school you're interested in attending.

I am planning to start studying beginning of January and take test beginning of June. Is that too late to take the DAT considering I wil try to have the rest of my application fully completed before. Thank you
I have worked with students for many years, and one question that frequently comes up is "When should I take the DAT?" My answer is simple: take the exam when you are fully prepared to avoid a retake. One of the biggest mistakes I see students make is taking the exam before they are fully prepared. Now, to address your question directly, taking the exam in June is not too late. I have had students take it as late as September and still be able to apply in the next cycle. Right now, your focus should be on your classes and maintaining the highest GPA possible. Taking five months to prepare sounds like a solid plan that will work for you. Remember, always do what works best for you.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Best of luck in your studies and on the DAT

Nancy
Co-owner, Destroyers