Fordham's Clinical Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBQSpareRib

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone currently in, or knowing anyone who is in, the Fordham Clinical PhD Program. I think it's an excellent program, but have some concerns regarding the clinical training... I have heard they are developing an onsite clinical training center, but most of the training goes through externship in years two and three. Also, I am wondering how much exposure to all the orientations there is. I am also wondering about how it compares to the LIU/Brooklyn, Rutgers PsyD, and Adelphi opportunities.

Any input or feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. PM if more comfortable.

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who is a second year at Fordham right now and I was considering Fordham as an option (I was accepted and ultimately declined the offer). My impression was that the outside practicums were one of the best features of the program. Its New York City, there are a ton of options for places that you can do practicums. And it sounded like the people that you work with at your practicums can also play a big role in your research as well.

Also, the orientation is supposedly very broad and focused on being eclectic. Barry Rosenfeld is a really great guy and easy to talk to, so if you have more questions I would contact him. He is either the Director of Clinical Training or the Director of the Program.

Also, something you may not realize (I did not realize) is that Fordham offers probably the best stipends of any program in NYC (Columbia? Not sure . . . ). As I mentioned above, Fordham wasn't the best fit for me, but I still think it is a wonderful program.

A girl I talked to there made it seem like you were a "free agent" of sorts at Fordham, meaning that you could pick up projects with many different professors. This means you have to be very self motivated and self directing, but it also means there are all kinds of opportunities for you to take advatnage of.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to check Fordham last year but decided not to apply. in general it seemed that the students were there more for the research which was not what i was looking for.
in terms of money i have no idea but columbia is certainly not good at funding. they can at best help a bit with part of the tuition.

I loved LIU, and if thier financial offer had been even close to what I eventually accepted, who knows, things may have turned out differently. One reason for that is Dr. Carol Magai -- I'm interested in researching race, ethnicity, and health outcomes, and she's just great and does great work. They are actually open to sharing thier data and collaborating with other area researchers, so maybe I will be able to work with her still.

Using the insiders scale, I'm I'd say a 5, 5.5, leaning towards research, and if Magai hadn't met my interests, LIU may not have been as appealing. I had a great warm feeling at the interview, loved the faculty and students. the clinical training sounds great, really comprehensive, lots of diverse externships, and thier internship rates are 95-100%. as far as the clinic goes, it's a university counseling center, as opposed to one available for the community which may give you a more diverse sampling, but then there are those aforementioned externships. if fordham has similar externships in quality and number/duration, then i would not sweat the lack of an on campus counseling placement.

is money a big factor? if not, all i can say is i have only heard good things about the clinical training and atmosphere at LIU. research wise i think it's up and coming, but it is still a place where if you plan on going into private practice when you leave and not doing research, you'll have some company.

Thanks for that feedback... I've heard great things from all programs... I've narrowed down to Fordham Clinical PhD vs. Rutgers PsyD. Two different programs, two different degrees, two different locations (not exactly cross-country, but still different)...

Any more insight or thoughts are always appreciated during this week... Especially after reading the other posts on buyer's remorse... But I know regardless of my decision I'll still have it!

:)

Thanks for that feedback... I've heard great things from all programs... I've narrowed down to Fordham Clinical PhD vs. Rutgers PsyD.

:)

don't quite follow your logic. you narrowed it down to one program with a very strong research emphasis and one with a very strong clinical emphasis. maybe it would be better to do some soul searching first to see what it is that you want out of such a degree, both in terms of career options but also in terms of the kind of experience you're looking for in graduate school. just my 2 cents.

Lakan, you are correct...

I had spoken with some more Fordham students and faculty who were actually quite honest about the healthy balance between the clinical and the research... But you're right, it has come down to my own soul searching at this point. I know both are excellent programs... For the remainder of my weekend, I will be looking to find the right answer... right for me, that is.

Thanks again :)

BBQ,

Like you, I am down to 2 programs. I'm currently waitlisted @ Fordham, and felt that it would be a much different experience there than at a Psy.D program. I've saved myself the anxiety of considering it in the running, since it doesn't count as an official offer! So, in some ways, your decision might come down to the type of program, Psy.D or Ph.D. I've heard great things about both Rutgers and Fordham.

For the two schools that I am considering, I created a chart with ea. school, side by side, with different factors I deem important. That could help you "see" the light, whether it's looking at the actual chart or going through the process. For example, some of my categories are: tuition (including scholarships), location, internship match-rate, presence/absence of on-site clinic, curriculum, years APA approved, research interests (specific faculty members), etc.

Remember also that you CAN'T go wrong - you have 2 great choices. Good luck!