Forecasting for Senior Year

undetermine

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a current junior in high school. I plan to go to a university and major in either biology or something else and pursue optometry after that.

I am having trouble deciding what I want to forecast for senior year.
  • I am not sure whether to have a free period or not. Do you think it would be helpful (for scholarship, college apps etc...)
  • Does taking high school physics help in college? If so, should I take it
  • And lastly, the biggest issue. I want to take 4 AP classes. This sounds horrific, I know, but I am trying to narrow down my choices. I am for sure taking AP Literature. AP Stats, Bio, and Govt I am contemplating. The catch w/ AP Bio is that they are changing the curriculum so AP Bio is a two year course. So, I would learn 1/2 as much and can't take the AP test. AP Gov't has nothing to do w/ opto, but I want to improve my public speaking skills b/c I am absolutely terrified of it. AP Stats... I need to take a math class so...
My friend tells me this is a terrible idea and I am putting myself through hell essentially.
Thank you very much and have a great day/night!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everything I say is from personal experience, so take what I say with a grain of salt esp. since I haven't started college myself (I'm a HS Senior)--
In terms of having a free period, it depends on what you're looking for-- top schools?. Personally, I took all 6/6 classes my senior year, as did a fair amount of my friends, and they all did significantly better in college admissions compared to the people who chose to have free periods. In my opinion though, I'd say it's pretty trivial since for us, since our rank was only affected by 1 semester of our senior year. However, I've heard of some slight controversy that some colleges don't really like to see you slack off.

The general consensus that I've heard is that it would help to get your feet wet with the general material before taking it in college. However, I'd say you also need to consider exactly what type of physics you're taking as well as what you plan to take in college (Physics 1/2, or C?) Overall, I'd say you'll gain a fair amount of info regardless since calculus based is essentially a "more applied" version of algebra based; they just derive formulas using calc instead of algebra.

I'm not entirely sure about the rigor of your school, but my school is an absolute joke so 4 AP classes doesn't sound daunting at all (I don't mean to come off as condescending when I say this, I'm just trying to say that I don't know the rigor of your school). When I took AP bio last year, it was a 1 year class and it was perfectly manageable... it might depend on how much you want to get ahead as well whether you want to use AP credit. I'm not too sure about AP Gov, since I don't believe there's any speaking involved in the class.

Everything I say is from personal experience, so take what I say with a grain of salt esp. since I haven't started college myself (I'm a HS Senior)--
In terms of having a free period, it depends on what you're looking for-- top schools?. Personally, I took all 6/6 classes my senior year, as did a fair amount of my friends, and they all did significantly better in college admissions compared to the people who chose to have free periods. In my opinion though, I'd say it's pretty trivial since for us, since our rank was only affected by 1 semester of our senior year. However, I've heard of some slight controversy that some colleges don't really like to see you slack off.

The general consensus that I've heard is that it would help to get your feet wet with the general material before taking it in college. However, I'd say you also need to consider exactly what type of physics you're taking as well as what you plan to take in college (Physics 1/2, or C?) Overall, I'd say you'll gain a fair amount of info regardless since calculus based is essentially a "more applied" version of algebra based; they just derive formulas using calc instead of algebra.

I'm not entirely sure about the rigor of your school, but my school is an absolute joke so 4 AP classes doesn't sound daunting at all (I don't mean to come off as condescending when I say this, I'm just trying to say that I don't know the rigor of your school). When I took AP bio last year, it was a 1 year class and it was perfectly manageable... it might depend on how much you want to get ahead as well whether you want to use AP credit. I'm not too sure about AP Gov, since I don't believe there's any speaking involved in the class.

What do you mean by "Physics 1/2 or C"?

At our school, AP Govt involves doing lots of debates and trials. If you want to receive an A, you are required to enter competition debates which is a time commitment thing.

You don't sound condescending at all, just at our school the average AP load is 3 and if you have 5 AP classes, they will not let you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by "Physics 1/2 or C"?

At our school, AP Govt involves doing lots of debates and trials. If you want to receive an A, you are required to enter competition debates which is a time commitment thing.

You don't sound condescending at all, just at our school the average AP load is 3 and if you have 5 AP classes, they will not let you take it.

By high school physics, I assumed you were referring to the AP Physics classes commonly offered by schools. Physics 1/2 is algebra based physics, while Physics C is calculus based physics. I don't know how med schools view physics, but I believe dental schools are fine with either algebra/calculus based.

In terms of AP Gov, that's something that we don't have to do haha. If you think you can get a good grade, I'd say by all means go for it, especially since you'd gain some public speaking skills. Aside from those, I would definitely suggest bio though, since I found it handy for SAT Bio.

lol at my school you need to write a letter of intent to the administrator to take more than 2 APs. I only know one kid in the past four years who took 4 APs; he was completely miserable.

By high school physics, I assumed you were referring to the AP Physics classes commonly offered by schools. Physics 1/2 is algebra based physics, while Physics C is calculus based physics. I don't know how med schools view physics, but I believe dental schools are fine with either algebra/calculus based.

In terms of AP Gov, that's something that we don't have to do haha. If you think you can get a good grade, I'd say by all means go for it, especially since you'd gain some public speaking skills. Aside from those, I would definitely suggest bio though, since I found it handy for SAT Bio.

Our school doesn't offer AP Physics, it's just regular; however, I believe it is a Calculus based.

he was completely miserable.
Yes, that's what my friend told me b/c she says that I won't have time to fully enjoy senior year. I mean it makes sense. You're going to have to work hard in college too, so why not take an easy year.

The only problem is that colleges still look at your transcripts for senior year which makes me not want to take an easy year...

Our school doesn't offer AP Physics, it's just regular; however, I believe it is a Calculus based.

In that case, I'd suggest taking it anyways since it would help you a great deal in future physics classes in my opinion.

lol at my school you need to write a letter of intent to the administrator to take more than 2 APs. I only know one kid in the past four years who took 4 APs; he was completely miserable.

It's probably just the rigor standards of each class lol, I knew someone who took 7 APs in a year and was completely fine so my school must be wayyy down on the educational scale

In that case, I'd suggest taking it anyways since it would help you a great deal in future physics classes in my opinion.

It's probably just the rigor standards of each class lol, I knew someone who took 7 APs in a year and was completely fine so my school must be wayyy down on the educational scale

We all have different school types ahaha. 7 AP classes in one year would mean that person just completed all the AP's offered at my school.

We all have different school types ahaha. 7 AP classes in one year would mean that person just completed all the AP's offered at my school.

LOL
Aside from that anyways, it depends on how you feel about having a chill senior year... personally I get a guilty conscience if I don't do anything so I just had a really busy senior year anyways. I'm hoping to relax a bit more over the summer so I don't burn out, but I'd suppose it depends on each person

LOL
Aside from that anyways, it depends on how you feel about having a chill senior year... personally I get a guilty conscience if I don't do anything so I just had a really busy senior year anyways. I'm hoping to relax a bit more over the summer so I don't burn out, but I'd suppose it depends on each person

Yeah, I don't mean to pry but did you get into your top choices? And did college apps take a long time?

Yeah, I don't mean to pry but did you get into your top choices? And did college apps take a long time?

Not at all! I got into WashU and Berkeley (RIP Penn/JHU) but I'm not too sure about going since the price tag on them is insane... In terms of college apps filling it out doesn't take long at all. Are you a fast essay writer? It took me my entire winter break to write everything since I write so slowly but I felt my essays were worth the time I invested them into.

Not at all! I got into WashU and Berkeley (RIP Penn/JHU) but I'm not too sure about going since the price tag on them is insane... In terms of college apps filling it out doesn't take long at all. Are you a fast essay writer? It took me my entire winter break to write everything since I write so slowly but I felt my essays were worth the time I invested them into.

Oh wow! Congrats!! I write quick, but the quality is very low >.< That's good that your pieces turned out great. Those school are super expensive, but they are but great colleges so you can't really go wrong with either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow! Congrats!! I write quick, but the quality is very low >.< That's good that your pieces turned out great. Those school are super expensive, but they are but great colleges so you can't really go wrong with either.

Thanks! It's probably better to be a fast writer, but just make sure to actually think about what you want to focus on in your essay (something really significant). I know that sounds really generic, but I think as you continue to read more about it you'll understand what I mean :)

Thanks! It's probably better to be a fast writer, but just make sure to actually think about what you want to focus on in your essay (something really significant). I know that sounds really generic, but I think as you continue to read more about it you'll understand what I mean :)

Nah, it's okay to be generic. It just puts more emphasis on what I need to take into account when I writ my stuff. :^)

I'm an MD specializing in emergency medicine so I don't know specifics about optometry. I did however take physics 1 and 2 in college and at least in my experience it was calculus based, do expect that. Although I do believe my college did have a non-science major physics class that was not calculus based (pretty sure but it's been nearly a decade now, yes I feel old). Overall I would say do what you are interested in senior year of high school, college and most advanced degrees are mostly about doing what you want.

Out of the 4 AP's you listed, AP Lit and AP Biology are the only tough ones (for most people). Having a free-period doesn't look too bad senior year (not bad at all in my opinion). And I would not take physics and AP Bio together - unless you are certain you can handle it.

Out of the 4 AP's you listed, AP Lit and AP Biology are the only tough ones (for most people). Having a free-period doesn't look too bad senior year (not bad at all in my opinion). And I would not take physics and AP Bio together - unless you are certain you can handle it.

Yeah, I think taking 2 science classes might take a toll on me. My science teacher said that the basic science classes contain: chem, bio, and physics so it would look weird on my college app if I didn't... is that true?

I'm an MD specializing in emergency medicine so I don't know specifics about optometry. I did however take physics 1 and 2 in college and at least in my experience it was calculus based, do expect that. Although I do believe my college did have a non-science major physics class that was not calculus based (pretty sure but it's been nearly a decade now, yes I feel old). Overall I would say do what you are interested in senior year of high school, college and most advanced degrees are mostly about doing what you want.

So do you think that being exposed to physics in high school would be beneficial for college or is college physics different?

Yeah, I think taking 2 science classes might take a toll on me. My science teacher said that the basic science classes contain: chem, bio, and physics so it would look weird on my college app if I didn't... is that true?

Honestly, as long as you have taken a science every year of high school (obviously AP's/Honors look better). I would choose taking AP Biology over regular physics (or even AP Physics for that matter).

So do you think that being exposed to physics in high school would be beneficial for college or is college physics different?
I never took physics in high school, but my understanding is it's generally non-calc based. If what you want to do is cool with non-calc based and your college offered it it would likely be helpful. It think non-calc physics is less helpful if you then go take calculus based in college, however there should still be some overlap it's just that you derive things instead of memorize and insert into formulas (although still some formulas involved).

I never took physics in high school, but my understanding is it's generally non-calc based. If what you want to do is cool with non-calc based and your college offered it it would likely be helpful. It think non-calc physics is less helpful if you then go take calculus based in college, however there should still be some overlap it's just that you derive things instead of memorize and insert into formulas (although still some formulas involved).

I believe my physics class is calculus based, which would probably be helpful in college. If I don't take physics, do you think I might end up being place in a "lower" level class?

I believe my physics class is calculus based, which would probably be helpful in college. If I don't take physics, do you think I might end up being place in a "lower" level class?
My HS did not offer calc-based phsyics but all of my university's engineering students start in the same calc-based physics and it was completely manageable. For majors unrelated to physics, they offered courses that were not calculus based. Really anyone with basic calculus knowledge could have taken the calculus-based class but a lot of pre-meds did not choose to.

Why would you take AP Bio if you aren't going to get the credit? Take physics, high school level physics. Future-self will thank you for not overloading yourself senior year.

AP Gov't has nothing to do w/ opto, but I want to improve my public speaking skills b/c I am absolutely terrified of it. AP Stats...

Do you have a 'speech & debate' club at your school? If so, that would be a great option to improve your public speaking skills, instead of taking AP Gov't solely for speaking skills.

Do you have a 'speech & debate' club at your school? If so, that would be a great option to improve your public speaking skills, instead of taking AP Gov't solely for speaking skills.

Because what I've heard is that AP Gov't is an easy AP class. The class is based more on speech/mock trial than taking notes etc.. We have a mock trial club, so maybe I'll do that instead.

Why would you take AP Bio if you aren't going to get the credit? Take physics, high school level physics. Future-self will thank you for not overloading yourself senior year.

I am not confident I will get a good score on the AP Bio exam because it is challenging from what I've heard. (?) I kinda don't want colleges to think I'm slacking senior year ... I guess I'm just worried about getting reject from colleges and lots of stress from that which may lead to senioritis (I know it sounds petty but I can't help it). I'm rambling now, but that's my dilemma.

Because what I've heard is that AP Gov't is an easy AP class. The class is based more on speech/mock trial than taking notes etc.. We have a mock trial club, so maybe I'll do that instead.

Yeah, I would recommend the mock trial club instead, unless you have a passion for public speaking. Mock trial is an amazing club to add to your extra curricular activities and will cost you less time than taking another AP class.

If you want to take an easy AP class, then I recommend psychology.

My HS did not offer calc-based phsyics but all of my university's engineering students start in the same calc-based physics and it was completely manageable. For majors unrelated to physics, they offered courses that were not calculus based. Really anyone with basic calculus knowledge could have taken the calculus-based class but a lot of pre-meds did not choose to.

Why do some pre meds choose not to?

Yeah, I would recommend the mock trial club instead, unless you have a passion for public speaking. Mock trial is an amazing club to add to your extra curricular activities and will cost you less time than taking another AP class.

If you want to take an easy AP class, then I recommend psychology.

:( Sadly, I took that class already. One of my regrets: not saving AP Psych for senior year.

I am not confident I will get a good score on the AP Bio exam because it is challenging from what I've heard.

Well at least you have AP Psych. Anyways, I take AP Bio right now also, and the most challenging part is the labs. At first they are very confusing, extensive, and practical but eventually become easy if you have a great lab group :joyful:.

I would recommend taking it, especially if you plan on becoming a pre-med. Although the class can be difficult at times, it is easy to get the hang of. If you hate it, then you can always drop it after the first few weeks, although the class is very mild in the beginning (at least my class was).

Well at least you have AP Psych. Anyways, I take AP Bio right now also, and the most challenging part is the labs. At first they are very confusing, extensive, and practical but eventually become easy if you have a great lab group :joyful:.

I would recommend taking it, especially if you plan on becoming a pre-med. Although the class can be difficult at times, it is easy to get the hang of. If you hate it, then you can always drop it after the first few weeks, although the class is very mild in the beginning (at least my class was).

Yeah, AP Bio would be helpful since it's more related to health than physics. Have you taken AP Stats?

Nope :unsure:. I have heard it is pretty easy (much easier than AP Calc/Physics).

I really hope so, if not I might just take AP Lit and Bio and call it good. That's my "easy senior year plan" lol.

What kind of colleges are you looking into?

Unless we're talking about Ivys and the like, choosing to take 3 APs (or even 2) rather than 4 will have no affect on your admission prospects.

I was accepted into top 20 LACs (Vassar, Hamilton, Barnard, Smith) with only 3 dual-enrollment* classes under my belt. One that I took summer of junior year and two that I'm taking senior year. Extracurriculars and things like that matter much more imho.

*my school doesn't have AP. Dual-enrollment is the same in terms of rigor tho.

Whoops! Didn't see your last post before I responded lol

Lol, it's fine.

I'm planning to go to a college that is willing to pay the most money to be absolutely honest. Counselors and people I know what me to go to a selective college which is why I am a little over the top with my APs. But you mentioned that APs don't really affect your admission with Ivys so I guess I don't have to be so worried anymore.

Did you do a lot of extra curricular?

Lol, it's fine.

I'm planning to go to a college that is willing to pay the most money to be absolutely honest. Counselors and people I know what me to go to a selective college which is why I am a little over the top with my APs. But you mentioned that APs don't really affect your admission with Ivys so I guess I don't have to be so worried anymore.

Did you do a lot of extra curricular?

Keep in mind AP scores are only a small fraction of your application. I know Ivies still rejected people at my school who had around 10-12 5's...

Keep in mind AP scores are only a small fraction of your application. I know Ivies still rejected people at my school who had around 10-12 5's...

Yeah, Ivys look at your app holistically so it is pretty much impossible to predict your chances.

I didn't do a lot actually.

-exchange student junior year
-research (most Saturday's spent in lab)
-co-founded GSA
-literary magazine (and newspaper guest writer)
-volunteering at hospital (50 hrs during summer)

I was never really booked with things to do. Usually home before 3:00 with the whole day ahead of me free.

It not really how many you do, it's how involved you are in a select few

Hi,

I am a current junior in high school. I plan to go to a university and major in either biology or something else and pursue optometry after that.

I am having trouble deciding what I want to forecast for senior year.
  • I am not sure whether to have a free period or not. Do you think it would be helpful (for scholarship, college apps etc...)
  • Does taking high school physics help in college? If so, should I take it
  • And lastly, the biggest issue. I want to take 4 AP classes. This sounds horrific, I know, but I am trying to narrow down my choices. I am for sure taking AP Literature. AP Stats, Bio, and Govt I am contemplating. The catch w/ AP Bio is that they are changing the curriculum so AP Bio is a two year course. So, I would learn 1/2 as much and can't take the AP test. AP Gov't has nothing to do w/ opto, but I want to improve my public speaking skills b/c I am absolutely terrified of it. AP Stats... I need to take a math class so...
My friend tells me this is a terrible idea and I am putting myself through hell essentially.
Thank you very much and have a great day/night!
From my experience, taking AP classes have a tremendous help when you go to take those courses in college. People who've never seen physics before and taking it struggle in class, whereas those who've already taken AP physics is flying by because it's practically review to them. I 100% believe you should take those AP classes. Cheers

From my experience, taking AP classes have a tremendous help when you go to take those courses in college. People who've never seen physics before and taking it struggle in class, whereas those who've already taken AP physics is flying by because it's practically review to them. I 100% believe you should take those AP classes. Cheers

Hi,

The thing is that physics is not an AP class. Would it still be worth it?

Hi,

Yes any type of exposure to phsyics before college would be a tremendous help. You see those who are seeing physics for the first time in college struggling the most in class because, unlike high school, college classes are fast paced with lots of exams. Therefore, you want to be familiar with it before starting college. I breezed through college physics since it was practically review for me. But my other friends who've never taken it before, struggled throughout the semester.

Hi,

Seconding what randomguy says, in my opinion the AP label doesn't really mean that much. From what it sounds, the fact that it's calculus based should do a more than sufficient job of basic exposure.

@randomguy123456 and @Symphonies

exposure is great, would you consider it be too much if i took ap bio and physics at the same time?
It's common for students to take multiple AP classes at the same time, and it really depends on the student/scenario. Some people are good with biology, and so taking a physics class along with it would be no problem. But others struggle with biology and so they would be better off taking physics separately. Also, if you're only taking 2 AP courses, then taking AP chem and AP physics at the same time would be no problem.