Foreign educated PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bptuk1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys not sure where to post this, I'm an American citizen, but am doing a masters in PT in the UK. I also have a MSc in Sports Rehab from the UK and I did my BA in N.Y. I'm pretty confused with the process to move back with the Jan 2017 changes. Has anyone been through this process before?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am foreign-trained (not a US citizen) and got approval that my PT education from my original country is equivalent to the U.S. PT education and passed the board exam in 2017. You just follow the process that FCCPT directs how foreign-educated PTs have their academic records evaluated.

Each state has its own criteria and FCCPT will evaluate you depending on the state that you choose. Some states require you Type 1 Review, whose criteria was actually upgraded in the end of 2016. When your preferred state doesn't require Type 1 Review, and since you obviously don't need the working visa, you just apply for Educational Credentials Review.
FCCPT says, California, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Washington, D.C. require Type 1 Review.

Unfortunately, most foreign-educated PTs need to apply for Type 1 review so that the working visa will be issued, whether or not the state that they choose require Type 1 Review, which often makes applicants confused. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to message me, I'm not from UK though.

Cocoro

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man I'll send you a PM thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am foreign-trained (not a US citizen) and got approval that my PT education from my original country is equivalent to the U.S. PT education and passed the board exam in 2017. You just follow the process that FCCPT directs how foreign-educated PTs have their academic records evaluated.

Each state has its own criteria and FCCPT will evaluate you depending on the state that you choose. Some states require you Type 1 Review, whose criteria was actually upgraded in the end of 2016. When your preferred state doesn't require Type 1 Review, and since you obviously don't need the working visa, you just apply for Educational Credentials Review.
FCCPT says, California, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Washington, D.C. require Type 1 Review.

Unfortunately, most foreign-educated PTs need to apply for Type 1 review so that the working visa will be issued, whether or not the state that they choose require Type 1 Review, which often makes applicants confused. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to message me, I'm not from UK though.

Cocoro
  • I am in my 4rth year doing my BPTh. I am a little confused as to what path should I use. I was told the following:
    • Apply for Physical.Therapy.Assistant program as its easier, cheaper and does not need GRE/TOEFL-->work for 1 year as a PTA and earn money-->go for transitional D.P.T OR
    • Apply for FCCPT (credential evaluation), Appear for CLEP exam (deficit equivalency), appear for state license exam and practice as a BPth In this scenario, can I work as BPTH?
    • Other than FCCPT (is COMMIT legitimate) agency? OR
    • Give GRE/TOEFL and apply for DPT (most conventional approach)
  • I do not know when to give GRE/TOEFL as I am going to complete my internship around Feb-June 2020.
  • What is the ideal time to get this FCCPT evaluation and CLEP exam?
  • What is the prerequisite degree required and other requirements (example professional work experience) to get into DPT or transition DPT (TDPT)? I appreciate your efforts in advance .

• I am in my 4rth year doing my BPTh. I am a little confused as to what path should I use. I was told the following:
    • Apply for Physical.Therapy.Assistant program as its easier, cheaper and does not need GRE/TOEFL-->work for 1 year as a PTA and earn money-->go for transitional D.P.T OR
    • Apply for FCCPT (credential evaluation), Appear for CLEP exam (deficit equivalency), appear for state license exam and practice as a BPth In this scenario, can I work as BPTH?
    • Other than FCCPT (is COMMIT legitimate) agency? OR
    • Give GRE/TOEFL and apply for DPT (most conventional approach)
  • I do not know when to give GRE/TOEFL as I am going to complete my internship around Feb-June 2020.
  • What is the ideal time to get this FCCPT evaluation and CLEP exam?
  • What is the prerequisite degree required and other requirements (example professional work experience) to get into DPT or transition DPT (TDPT)? I appreciate your efforts in advance .
i wanted to apply for USA. and wanted some help in deciding the right path.

Hi mate you're probably better off making your own new thread I posted this a while ago. Just hit create new post on the PT forums. There's some basic info here, I'm still trying to do all of it still but finishing the last bit of my course. I'm not sure how it would work for you as my situation is a bit different!

Good luck!

Hi mate you're probably better off making your own new thread I posted this a while ago. Just hit create new post on the PT forums. There's some basic info here, I'm still trying to do all of it still but finishing the last bit of my course. I'm not sure how it would work for you as my situation is a bit different!

Good luck!
Thanks alot for quick reponse. Do you know anyone who has gone through this process ( done BPth in india and wants to apply in USA for transitional DPT program?
i wanted to know the ideal time I should be applying for GRE . When should I start with fccpt process? How much time will it take?
I appreciate your efforts and will be awaiting for response.

Hello,
Are there any one preparing for NPTE exam in April 2019 from Los Angeles area ? If any one interested to make a study group I am interested to join. We can meet at any libraries to work hard to pass NPTE. Well I am a foreign educated PT have already failed 2 times. So I am seeking only serious study Pertners.
Visit medicalbrothers