Foreign fellowships/observerships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

member1000765

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did any of the faculty-level members here do an observership or fellowship in a foreign country in the midst of or after residency training? Several of the older surgeons I know spent a year or two in England, France, Italy, Austria (training with Hugo Fisch especially), etc. to broaden their horizons, but it seems this kind of experience has largely fallen by the wayside. I'm fortunate to have met some great international surgeons at the major meetings, and I think it would be a great opportunity post-residency and pre-fellowship to spend a year overseas seeing how another health care system functions and how patients are managed outside the US. My fear is that it would compromise fellowship opportunities, delay my career, or draw questions. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the matter?

Thanks