SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Foreign language

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nyprospect, Mar 22, 2007.

1. nyprospect

nyprospect

Mar 22, 2007
    Assuming English is my Dominant language...

Is there one foreign language that looks better then others to med school?

Ex. Spanish vs French.

I am in NY and would probably apply to colleges in this area...

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    No, but Spanish will be much more useful once you're in

4. mrs.smith

mrs.smith 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Albuquerque
    Spanish

5. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    No, no, French. Especially with all the French immigrants and French underserved in New York. The med schools will love it.

6. Bernie3144

Bernie3144 7+ Year Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Pensacola
    :laugh:

7. Felzor

Felzor 7+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Probably depends on the rest of your focus. If you're into community work with immigrants, for example, Spanish makes some sense, doesn't it? If you plan on studying abroad in Western Africa and do some public health work there, French will be important. Just take something that fits within your overall plan.

8. akinf

akinf Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Canada
    lol...funny...

9. Wanna_B_Scutty

Wanna_B_Scutty MS1 2+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Spanish, hands down.

Some of the Cali schools even ask if you've had it on their secondary applications. :eek:

10. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Medical Terminology--it's a foreign language to most of the med students I know.

Actually adcoms don't really care if you know any medical words. They think that you're beneath knowing any real medicine at that point.

The languages of underserved populations are significant if you are going to claim that you will treat such people.

11. Raazak

Raazak 2+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Unless you plan on practicing in west Africa, central Canada, or France.

Spanish.

12. KeyzerSoze

KeyzerSoze Scrambled Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    They don't speak French in central Canada. Also, you forgot Tahiti.

13. Kraazy

Kraazy 7+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2007
    MDApps:
    Well, Spanish would be more useful is you want to be able to target the largest underserved populations possible. Or you could choose a "niche" underserved population that other pre-meds/ med students/ physicians aren't paying attention to, e.g. West African & Haitian immgirants.

Spanish is clearly more widely spoken in NYC, but French might make you stand out from the crowd, esp. if you find a way to use it in some sort of community service (tutoring immigrant children, adult ESL).

14. nyprospect

nyprospect

Mar 22, 2007
  15. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Don't worry too much about learning a foreign language. For some schools (i.e. San Antonio, California) it might be useful, but for many schools it's a nice "bonus," but not enough to really boost your application. Do you know how many people say that they can speak "some" Spanish or French on their application? Do you know how many people in my school were Spanish/linguistics majors/minors in undergrad?

Secondly, if you DO end up learning a language, when asked about it, be honest about your abilities. A lot of people in med school say that they speak Spanish well...and then, in front of a patient, really can't communicate effectively. It's quite frustrating at times.

16. FemalesCANTDriv

FemalesCANTDriv LMAO 5+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Where I go to school
    Take it from someone who speaks French... Spanish is MUCH better and adcoms don't seem to give a damn if you speak anything other than English, Spanish, or an Asian language (Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, etc). Seriously, don't be dumb like me. Do Spanish!

17. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white 5+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Espanol (check that out!)

18. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II 2+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    If only I could find this Hermano...

19. Pagz09

Pagz09 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2007
    why take the easy way out? take chinese, like me. useful, interesting and challenging to study, and there's a pretty big underserved population in major cities.

20. ssquared

ssquared Member 2+ Year Member

:laugh:

But seriously, if you want to take a language, take Spanish. When I was shadowing some doctors in a pediatric specialty clinic a ton of the patients spoke Spanish, and this was in the suburbs. My French and Italian training are pretty much useless.

21. acrunchyfrog

acrunchyfrog In memory of Riley 7+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Yakima, WA
    Do you have one language or culture that you are more interested in than another? If so, learn the one that interests you the most. I know a couple guys who picked up at least a couple of different languages while in the service. They have both independently said that they still find ways to use the ones they like, and after leaving the service promptly stopped using the unfavored language.

The others who say that it won't help you too much are probably right. Do it for your own satisfaction.

22. racerx

racerx ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Spanish, no doubt. Speaking of which. . .I wonder if the filters on SDN can pick up other-than-english naughty words.

Tu eres una puta madre! :eek:

23. racerx

Nov 16, 2001
    Nope. Filters are english only. :thumbup:

24. FemalesCANTDriv

FemalesCANTDriv LMAO 5+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Where I go to school
    Suce ma bite! :laugh:

25. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Tu eres una puta madre.

Not that I'm saying you are, but if you're going to cuss in Spanish, at least get your grammar right.

26. RAD11

RAD11 5+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Definitely Spanish.

27. PepperMD

PepperMD 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I vote Sanskrit.

28. racerx

Nov 16, 2001
    Point taken. I almost came back and changed it, but was too lazy at the time. Of course, now I can find time and desire to respond in this post. . .go figure. :rolleyes:

29. JennyB

JennyB 5+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    NY
    Farsi is in pretty high demand now too.