Foreign MD or high linkage SMP in the US?!?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MozartFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll make this short and sweet.
What would you do in this situation (mine), especially if you were interested in radiology?

I'm going to apply to SMPs with high linkages (did some search here, emailed directors, etc) AND the following foreign options:

*Israel (Sackler and Technion) ("american programs")
*Ireland (http://www.atlanticbridge.com) (University College Dublin, University College Cork, Royal College of SUrgeons Ireland)
*SGU, maybe other caribbean schools. 45 quarter credits of upper level sciences post bac at 3.8 GPA. All while working.

If you were in my situation and got accepted into a foreign option and SMP with high linkage (EVMS, etc), what would you do?

*25 year old. Unmarried, no family to take care of.

*Male, not sure if that matters

*Not URM

*Graduated with a BS in Biology (state school, pretty much only known in
my state) horrible GPA of 2.5-2.7 (not sure). I had a lot of personal problems, and also had way too much fun. Graduated in 2007. Worked and did some post bac work. Took GRE (general and subject tests) but no MCAT.

*Clinical experience includes working in a pharmacy for four years and
CNA for 1 year.

*Starting a twelve month graduate level biotechnology program that is
more didatic than thesis based. Lots of classes. The university has a medical school in it. I intend to get a 4.0. This program may carry little weight in US MD/DO admissions, but I hope it will help me get into a high linkage SMP.

*Taking the MCAT in January 2011. Started studying (via Kaplan online materials, Berkeley Review, etc,, etc) in March 2010. Focusing more on practice than content review.

*Money isn't too much of an issue. I'll use loans, but have money saved up from my jobs and freelancing as a musician. I have no undergrad debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Didn't need to read any further than radiology. You need to get an American MD to have a realistic chance of rads.
While there are occasionally foreign MDs who do manage to get competitive specialties, they are the exceptions.

Didn't need to read any further than radiology. You need to get an American MD to have a realistic chance of rads.
While there are occasionally foreign MDs who do manage to get competitive specialties, they are the exceptions.

I concur.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with peppy.
Also, I'm not sure why you are going for this biotech degree. Wouldn't it have been better to do an SMP to start off with? I just worry that you are going to burn out with so many years of basic sciences before you even start med school.

I would not advise the Caribbean, or even Israeli or Irish schools, if you want radiology. It's quite uncommon for foreign grads to be able to get into radiology. Even students in US schools who are in the top 1/3 of their classes sweat it out worrying that they won't get a radiology residency. There just aren't that many spots and there are a LOT of applicants.

You need to take the MCAT and find out where you stand. If you have that many postbac credits and did that well, maybe you won't need to do an SMP. You should figure out your cumulative undergrad GPA with the postbac credits factored in. You should also research US DO schools and find out what %age of people get a radiology residency from those schools...may be hard to find as they don't emphasize specialization @most of those schools, but I'll bet some students do go into radiology.

I applied for just two SMPs for 2010 (RFUMS, EVMS) very late, had no MCAT, and was not accepted.

I'm doing the 12 month biotech program because I was awarded considerable scholarship from the school and more so from my employer. It will will lead to certification as a cytotechnologist. It's a back up in case I don't make it in any US MD or DO school.

I have my eyes on 2-3 particular high linkage SMP programs at MD schools (no glide year). Burn out after so much before medical school? Hopefully I won't. During the MS1 year, I hope to TA or do some research if the same MD school waives coursework I completed during the SMP year.

I agree with peppy.
Also, I'm not sure why you are going for this biotech degree. Wouldn't it have been better to do an SMP to start off with? I just worry that you are going to burn out with so many years of basic sciences before you even start med school.

I would not advise the Caribbean, or even Israeli or Irish schools, if you want radiology. It's quite uncommon for foreign grads to be able to get into radiology. Even students in US schools who are in the top 1/3 of their classes sweat it out worrying that they won't get a radiology residency. There just aren't that many spots and there are a LOT of applicants.

You need to take the MCAT and find out where you stand. If you have that many postbac credits and did that well, maybe you won't need to do an SMP. You should figure out your cumulative undergrad GPA with the postbac credits factored in. You should also research US DO schools and find out what %age of people get a radiology residency from those schools...may be hard to find as they don't emphasize specialization @most of those schools, but I'll bet some students do go into radiology.

Mozartfan- you should do SMP. I am applying SMP this fall myself. I know you want to start med school as soon as possble but try SMP first and if you fail then try foreign MD. Also, apply Drexel IMS and VCU as backup.

After some research (mostly oustide of SDN!!) and talking with MDs and DOs, I am firmly resolved to attend US MD or DO schools. Even after a few tries with no greenlights, I fear going foreign. There are some SMP or SMP like programs attached to DO programs. I've been looking into them. If things don't work out I have a career in Cytotechnology/Medical Technology to fall back on.

New DO schools are opening. Some Do schools now enroll more than 200 students. MD schools are expanding, albeit slowly. I fear going foreign and not matching.

Last edited:
we all know SMP is going to work out for u :)

I think you're making the right choice. Foreign MD schools are very risky nowadays. Nobody wants to end up graduating med school without being able to get a residency.