Foreign Med School. Is this one good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If and ONLY if you have no other option, consider an international medical school. There are two solid schools in Poland. The one you have here (Jagiellonian) and another school called Poznan. The English program of both of these schools are approved in all 50 states.

Poland, however, if pretty low on routes I'd consider outside the US. Remember that less than 50% of IMG match in residency in the US (I'd venture a guess and say that it's probably a 50/50 shot coming out of Poland). IMGs also have the lowest USMLE pass rates. I don't think the risk/benefit ratio is any greater for the Polish schools than the Caribbean schools.

If I were to create some sort of ranking for international programs, I'd say first consider SGU in Caribbean if you cannot get in anywhere in the US (MD or DO). Then consider Australia. After that consider Ireland. Then consider Charles University in Prague. If all those routes fail, then consider the Polish schools along with schools like Ross/AUC/Saba. Finally, if you don't think you'll be able to go any of those routes, consider St. Matthew in Caribbean.

As a side note, I'd start considering other health professions once I work down to the Polish school/Big 3 option. Going to a school not approved in all 50 states can be very limiting.

Last edited:
If and ONLY if you have no other option, consider an international medical school. There are two solid schools in Poland. The one you have here (Jagiellonian) and another school called Poznan. The English program of both of these schools is approved in all 50 states.

Poland, however, if pretty low on routes I'd consider outside the US. Remember that less than 50% of IMG match in residency in the US (I'd venture a guess and say that it's probably a 50/50 shot coming out of Poland). IMGs also have the lowest USMLE pass rates. I don't think the risk/benefit ratio is any greater for the Polish schools that the Caribbean.

If I were to create some sort of ranking for international programs, I'd say first consider SGU in Caribbean if you cannot get in anywhere in the US (MD or DO). Then consider Australia. After that consider Ireland. Then consider Charles University in Prague. If all those routes fail, then consider the Polish schools along with schools like Ross/AUC/Saba. Finally, if you don't think you'll be able to go any of those routes, consider St. Matthew in Caribbean.

As a side note, I'd start considering other health professions once I work down to the Polish school/Big 3 option.

Don't forget St. George's, probably the best Caribbean med school, and grads able to be licensed in all 50 states.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they are the "HARVARD" of the Caribbean :laugh:. Honestly, if US MD/DO was not an option they would be my first choice in part because their graduates are able to be licensed in all 50 states, in part because they have a decent USMLE pass rate for an international medical school and because, while high, their attrition rate is lower than other schools in the Caribbean.

Don't forget St. George's, probably the best Caribbean med school, and grads able to be licensed in all 50 states.

I on the other hand would not put it pretty low on the routes considering a whole lot of things. For one it is actually the "Harvard" of Poland, you know since the University has been existence since the 1300s, as opposed to 1970s? It has 50 state accreditation and it has deals signed with the U. Cali schools to do 4th year electives there. From Jag, depending obviously on how well you do (true at every school) I would say its better than a 50/50 shot, given the last match. Also Jag is in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Krakow. Tons to do, tons to see.
I don't know why consider Australia and Ireland first, but to each his own. Jags last match list speaks for itself, nobody matched in Family Med, because it was all other more "desirable" specialties, like neurosurgery, general surgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, a bunch of internal meds at good places, peds neuro, and some others. And the places people matched to are no random places in undesirable locations, but good programs, in good locations. As far as the percent of people who matched out of those who applied for positions it was greater than 80%. Not bad for an international school.

If and ONLY if you have no other option, consider an international medical school. There are two solid schools in Poland. The one you have here (Jagiellonian) and another school called Poznan. The English program of both of these schools are approved in all 50 states.

Poland, however, if pretty low on routes I'd consider outside the US. Remember that less than 50% of IMG match in residency in the US (I'd venture a guess and say that it's probably a 50/50 shot coming out of Poland). IMGs also have the lowest USMLE pass rates. I don't think the risk/benefit ratio is any greater for the Polish schools than the Caribbean schools.

As a side note, I'd start considering other health professions once I work down to the Polish school/Big 3 option. Going to a school not approved in all 50 states can be very limiting.

Reactions: 1 user
I on the other hand would not put it pretty low on the routes considering a whole lot of things. For one it is actually the "Harvard" of Poland, you know since the University has been existence since the 1300s, as opposed to 1970s? It has 50 state accreditation and it has deals signed with the U. Cali schools to do 4th year electives there. From Jag, depending obviously on how well you do (true at every school) I would say its better than a 50/50 shot, given the last match. Also Jag is in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Krakow. Tons to do, tons to see.
I don't know why consider Australia and Ireland first, but to each his own. Jags last match list speaks for itself, nobody matched in Family Med, because it was all other more "desirable" specialties, like neurosurgery, general surgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, a bunch of internal meds at good places, peds neuro, and some others. And the places people matched to are no random places in undesirable locations, but good programs, in good locations. As far as the percent of people who matched out of those who applied for positions it was greater than 80%. Not bad for an international school.

Actually Jagiellonian hasn't been in existence since the 1300s. That's Charles University you're talking about - the oldest university in Europe (established some time in 1373 or something like that.) Nevertheless, Jagiellenian and Poznan in Poland and Charles University in Prague, CR have an excellent reputation. Most students who have graduated from there have ended up in the US or UK/Australia or Europe.

If you're looking for a 4 year program, then I would definitely recommend Jagiellonian. But it you're willing to study in a 6 year program, then I would definitely recommend looking into Charles University, Prague (it stands in the 23rd place in Europe as 110 in the world where as Jagiellonian stands 372nd.)

What you have failed to mention is the attrition rates at the schools. I was basing my decision on the match list and the attrition rate. SGU has a decent match list and relatively low attrition rate. It also has a good reputation in the US and a decent amount of clinical sites.

Australia has a number is really good programs. The University of Queensland stands out. It has a great match list, low attrition and a high number of grads are able to come back to the US. They also are about to have a 2/2 option with 2 years in Australia/ 2 years in the US.

Charles University is an exception school. They have a good match list and a great reputation. Not to mention that Prague is an awesome place. However, they have a high attrition rate.

The schools in Poland are great schools, but not if the ultimate goal is practicing in the US. They have a high attrition rate, they are difficult to do well at and they are not as focused on the USMLE. You have to do all the paperwork yourself and be really motived to come back to the US. It's a long difficult process that requires a lot of self-motivation. If you do well though you will match very well. But, most students do not do well.

AUC/Ross/Saba are all similar. They are a lost resort of option. If you are self-directed, they give you a last chance at being a doctor.

Last edited:
Indeed Charles does have a very high attrition rate. I'm a student there so I know how torturous and frustrating it can be at times.

Once again you are generalizing about Poland here, yes a lot of the Polish schools have high attrition rates, but as far as I know Poznan doesn't, for the 4 yr program, and from first hand experience Jagiellonian doesn't either. For the 4yr program the attrition rate is probably about 1/35, 2/35 depending on which class year, from what I have seen.
Also, Jag does have a good reputation, you know the guy who helped write the Ross Histo book a lot of people use? Pawlina, guess where he finished school, and then look where he is Chair right now (hint, Jag used to be called Nicolaus Copernicus Medical School). Other profs also have high ranking positions around the world, and our grads from the English program also have gotten good residency spots, in places like Mayo, Yale, etc.
Jagiellonian although its not as well known as other places has a long history, and grads in high positions to back up its reputation.
I will definitely agree with you on one of your points though, at some Polish schools (the ones run by agents) you have to do a lot yourself and they couldn't care less about you, and the attrition rates are huge. But, not Jag, and as far as I know not Poznan either. Thats why the class has a limit of 35 here at Jag, because they care, because they do focus on you, because they do want to teach you.
The whole self motivation part for me is baloney, to finish school be it in the U.S. or ANYWHERE for that matter you have to be self-motivated. Nobody is going to hold your hand for you every step of the way and watch you every day to make sure if you are studying. People in my opinion have some strange ideal of U.S. schools in their mind if they think in the U.S. you don't have to be self motivated and that if your in you pretty much learn everything and finish. There is a reason people are in the schools in the first place, they are highly self-motivated and driven, and they don't usually stop being this way.
And last generalization I want to touch on, the whole "most students do not do well." Whats that based on and for which schools? Do you know people firsthand from Jag and Poznan? Did they not do well because they were lazy or because the school was that bad? Personally I think it would be the former.

What you have failed to mention is the attrition rates at the schools. I was basing my decision on the match list and the attrition rate. SGU has a decent match list and relatively low attrition rate. It also has a good reputation in the US and a decent amount of clinical sites.

Charles University is an exception school. They have a good match list and a great reputation. Not to mention that Prague is an awesome place. However, they have a high attrition rate.

The schools in Poland are great schools, but not if the ultimate goal is practicing in the US. They have a high attrition rate, they are difficult to do well at and they are not as focused on the USMLE. You have to do all the paperwork yourself and be really motived to come back to the US. It's a long difficult process that requires a lot of self-motivation. If you do well though you will match very well. But, most students do not do well.

AUC/Ross/Saba are all similar. They are a lost resort of option. If you are self-directed, they give you a last chance at being a doctor.

Actually I have a lot of friends in Poland (from Poznan, Jag, and Warsaw univs.) and they said the same thing about the attrition rate not being so horrendous as compared to the Czech and Hungarian med schools.

And yes, all these schools are very respectable, hold a great past and have produced some of the finest doctors there are today.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you misunderstood. I was not talking about self-motivation in terms of being self-motivated to study. I was talking about self-motivation in terms of needing to apply to practice back in the US. In terms of guidance of being an IMG and navigating your way through the forms and all that comes along with being an IMG. Obviously, this is not applicable if for US grads. They do not have to deal with the extra burden of being an IMG and coming back to practice in the US.

When I said most people do not do well, again I was referring to coming back to the US to practice (not academically). I know grads from Poznan and Jag (I actually do not know anyone from Charles and all my knowledge from there is second hand) and they had a tough time coming back to the US. Some had to go to practice in other parts of Europe initially and eventually found their way back to the States. I was NOT talking about doing well academically. I was talking about doing well in the US match. Remember that only 48% of IMG match back in the US and that number is going to decline as several new schools open in the US.

The whole self motivation part for me is baloney, to finish school be it in the U.S. or ANYWHERE for that matter you have to be self-motivated. Nobody is going to hold your hand for you every step of the way and watch you every day to make sure if you are studying. People in my opinion have some strange ideal of U.S. schools in their mind if they think in the U.S. you don't have to be self motivated and that if your in you pretty much learn everything and finish. There is a reason people are in the schools in the first place, they are highly self-motivated and driven, and they don't usually stop being this way.
And last generalization I want to touch on, the whole "most students do not do well." Whats that based on and for which schools? Do you know people firsthand from Jag and Poznan? Did they not do well because they were lazy or because the school was that bad? Personally I think it would be the former.

Last edited: