Foreign Medical Schools- Uwi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sassafras

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Has anyone heard of the pre-health sciences program at the University of the West Indies? I was just accepted into the program. It has a linkage to the UWI medical school. But I was wondering whethere anyone knows of people that were able to gain acceptance into a North American medical school after the program.

Also, does anyone know people that were able to transfer from UWI's medical school to a North American medical school? And if so, which school were they able to transfer to?

Thanks for all your help.
Sassafras

Members don't see this ad.

Sassafras said:
does anyone know people that were able to transfer from UWI's medical school to a North American medical school? And if so, which school were they able to transfer to?

My husband went to UWI medical school in Trinidad (he's from there), and he has many friends who went to UWI Jamaica too. I don't know anything about the pre-health sciences program, but I'm pretty sure that, if you go to UWI medical school, you would have a very hard time transferring back to a US medical school. It is not a LCME-accredited US/Canadian school, and it is not an American school located in the Caribbean so it would be just the same as if you went to any other foreign school. As far as I know, most US medical schools do not accept transfers from foreign schools, regardless of your grades and Step scores.

To practice in the US, you would have to finish your medical curriculum at UWI. You would get a MBBS, and then would have to apply for residency through the ECFMG as a foreign medical graduate, even if you're a US citizen. That lowers your chances, especially in top specialties, but it's certainly not impossible.

Check out the international forums, you should find plenty of info there. Good luck. UWI is a good school!

Baby Einstein said:
My husband went to UWI medical school in Trinidad (he's from there), and he has many friends who went to UWI Jamaica too. I don't know anything about the pre-health sciences program, but I'm pretty sure that, if you go to UWI medical school, you would have a very hard time transferring back to a US medical school. It is not a LCME-accredited US/Canadian school, and it is not an American school located in the Caribbean so it would be just the same as if you went to any other foreign school. As far as I know, most US medical schools do not accept transfers from foreign schools, regardless of your grades and Step scores.

To practice in the US, you would have to finish your medical curriculum at UWI. You would get a MBBS, and then would have to apply for residency through the ECFMG as a foreign medical graduate, even if you're a US citizen. That lowers your chances, especially in top specialties, but it's certainly not impossible.

Check out the international forums, you should find plenty of info there. Good luck. UWI is a good school!

Thanks so much for your reply. It seems as though there is not too much information out there on UWI. Well, I have heard that it is a great school, but there are so many horror stories of people being unable to practice in North America after being foreign trained. Well, I guess I'll take my chances. Thanks again.

Sassafras said:
Hey there. Has anyone heard of the pre-health sciences program at the University of the West Indies? I was just accepted into the program. It has a linkage to the UWI medical school. But I was wondering whethere anyone knows of people that were able to gain acceptance into a North American medical school after the program.

Also, does anyone know people that were able to transfer from UWI's medical school to a North American medical school? And if so, which school were they able to transfer to?

Thanks for all your help.
Sassafras

Hey Sassafras,

What qualifications did you have to have to get into UWI's pre-health science program? Just wondering since I wasn't able to find any info on the web.

Thanks a mil. :thumbup: :)