Foreign Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cahn0417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on foreign medical school. Also, is it realistic to get a residency and ultimately a job in a hospital following your residency? ANY information would help me a LOT. Thank you soo much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on foreign medical school. Also, is it realistic to get a residency and ultimately a job in a hospital following your residency? ANY information would help me a LOT. Thank you soo much in advance!!

take a look at International Medical Forums...its below the main forums

Hey cahn,

Have you thought about applying to DO schools? Remember, DO=MD for all purposes relating to the practice of medicine. And you will almost certainly have an easier time getting a US residency as a DO than as a Foreign Medical Grad.

Frogs

Members don't see this ad :)
Try Medical school in italy. You can obtain a good residency when you graduate from italy.

50% of foreign graduates match into US residencies. (First Aid? or some other guide)..

However, don't let this decieve you.. Most match into primary care residencies in rural areas.. (ie. Kansas.. Iowa)

Here's a link I found via Google:
http://www.surgery.wisc.edu/general/residents/foreignmedical.shtml

In a few exceptional instances we have accepted graduates of foreign medical schools to our program. International medical graduates who have gained admission to our program have clearly demonstrated that their medical school training is similar to that in the United States, and they have had a significant amount of undergraduate or postgraduate training in General Surgery in a United States university-affiliated program or its equivalent. Successful applicants have had a professor well known to us who can attest in writing to the quality of their work. Finally, in many instances, previous graduates of their medical school have performed well in our program.

Their ECFMG and USMLE scores have typically been in the top 5%, although we do not have a cut-off score for applicants.

-------------------

If you want primary care, you've got a 50% shot.. If you want to do anything else.. surgery, derm, rads, etc.. You've pretty much got a 5% chance.. but I have to remind you that your USMLE score has to be in the top 5% and that's INCLUDING the thousands of US med students who already beat you into a US med school..

Hey cahn,

Have you thought about applying to DO schools? Remember, DO=MD for all purposes relating to the practice of medicine. And you will almost certainly have an easier time getting a US residency as a DO than as a Foreign Medical Grad.

Frogs

The line pretty much is MD > RN > DO > IMG ;)

My adviser always stresses to us the fact that 75% of students that go to the caribe schools ( as a total from all schools combined not individual) do not practice medicine in the states after graduation or if they graduate at all.
But I did shadow one in internal medicine who was very good and his patients loved him.

Try this: http://www.gms.edu.sg
It sounds like what you want. Upon accepting admission, as an international candidate you'll be bonded to the ministry of health for 5 years post-internship, which should be just about right for you to do your residency (or the most part of it)

According to the website, that school is geared toward training physician-scientists for Singapore. I imagine admission to this program, especially for foreign applicants, would be very difficult considering the huge population of qualified students in Singapore.