Foreign neurosurgeon - Options in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
My Dad is currently a neurosurgeon in foreign country. He specializes in acupuncture in treating back pain (he no longer does surgeries).

He will be living in US from next year after obtaining a Green card, and he still wishes to treat patients in US. But he does not want to re-do 3-4 yrs of residency in US to obtain US medical license (he is 60 years old). It will be unlikely for him to attend acupuncture school for >3 years to obtain acupuncture license. I am aware that he could just do 1 year intern year and become a general physician in US, but I don't think any program will accept foreign grad who is 60 years old. Is there anything else he could do to see the patients in US?

Someone told me that it may be possible for him to practice acupuncture if he practices under the doctors' supervision- Does anyone know if this is true?
I am a 4th year US medical student and my husband is an attending in VA, and it would be nice if he could work with us.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

most states require more than 1 year of residency for foreign docs, his options are very limited for practicing medicine
But is acupuncture actually medicine in the US? Depending on the state, it’s probably not that hard to get a license to do that.

But OP, your dad is going to have to put some effort in to practice in the US… no one is going to take his foreign credentials off the bat.

Look at pg 72

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
most states require more than 1 year of residency for foreign docs, his options are very limited for practicing medicine
Thank you for your reply.
We are in Virginia, and Virginia requires 1 year of training for foreign doctors (to become general physician- not board certified).

But is acupuncture actually medicine in the US? Depending on the state, it’s probably not that hard to get a license to do that.
A cursory look at acupuncture licensing shows you likely need 3 years of masters level education and then certification in acupuncture by their national board. It looks like Virginia follows that model. Whether that's medicine or not, it's a shorter version of what physicians have to go through. The OP asked about the VA and it appears they do hire acupuncturists but not at a payscale commensurate to a physician. See this listing for example: Acupuncturist

Reactions: 2 users

But OP, your dad is going to have to put some effort in to practice in the US… no one is going to take his foreign credentials off the bat.

Look at pg 72
Thank you -

I would like to know if my dad can practice under me or my husband without getting an acupuncture license, but I guess I should contact the acupuncture advisory boards.

A cursory look at acupuncture licensing shows you likely need 3 years of masters level education and then certification in acupuncture by their national board. It looks like Virginia follows that model. Whether that's medicine or not, it's a shorter version of what physicians have to go through. The OP asked about the VA and it appears they do hire acupuncturists but not at a payscale commensurate to a physician. See this listing for example: Acupuncturist
He is not looking to make money out of it but I think he just wants to help treating patients (coz he has been a doctor for >30 years).

I heard some Veterans hospitals or suburban hospitals let foreign doctors to work to help with short staffing, but I cannot find that info :/

Thank you for your reply.
We are in Virginia, and Virginia requires 1 year of training for foreign doctors (to become general physician- not board certified).
That’s for AMG and DOs…I/FMGs need 2 years of GME.

The only states that allow FMGs unrestricted licenses after only 1 year are Wisconsin and Georgia…and you have to be on the Cali list for ga.

No one has yet mentioned that to practice as a physician he would need to take and pass all three parts of the USMLE exam also. And no one is going to take him as an intern with no US experience.

The best option is to see if he can somehow practice acupuncture. You will need to look into that in the state that you're in, since the rules differ. Chances are he will need to work under a licensed acupuncturist. He probably can't just do it "under your license", unless you are a licensed acupuncture provider -- and even in that case, it will totally depend on the laws in your state.

So I agree with you -- you'll need to talk to the acupuncture boards.

VA hospitals or "suburban" hospitals do not let people just practice who are unlicensed.

Reactions: 5 users
The best option is to see if he can somehow practice acupuncture.
Starting ANY career at age 60 in the US does not sound like a “best option” to me. I vote for OP to have some children in residency (assuming that’s in the life goals) and let pops build a new hobby!

No one has yet mentioned that to practice as a physician he would need to take and pass all three parts of the USMLE exam also. And no one is going to take him as an intern with no US experience.

The best option is to see if he can somehow practice acupuncture. You will need to look into that in the state that you're in, since the rules differ. Chances are he will need to work under a licensed acupuncturist. He probably can't just do it "under your license", unless you are a licensed acupuncture provider -- and even in that case, it will totally depend on the laws in your state.

So I agree with you -- you'll need to talk to the acupuncture boards.

VA hospitals or "suburban" hospitals do not let people just practice who are unlicensed.

Actually acupuncturists can practice in the US under a physician and even bill Medicare. He would obviously need to be licensed in acupuncture in the US.

Thank you for all these information!!
He can also probably do a PA course or something if he really wants to practice medicine. you can get those degrees online in 12-18 months and practice any specialty, nearly independently. He'll probably be better than many other PAs/NPs that are being churned out these days.

I am sure OP’s malpractice insurance carrier would love the idea of pop practicing under her supervision

In California, acupuncture is not considered the practice of medicine and you do not need a medical license to practice it. However, you need an acupuncture license issued by an independent board of acupuncture in order to practice acupuncture.

If your dad intends to limit his practice to acupuncture, there is no reason to get a medical license. Also if he qualifies for refugee, asylum, or special immigrant status, he may qualify for an expedited acupuncture license.

I’m sure the requirements vary state by state.