foreign programs and licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So, I'm not sure how this works. I was accepted to a 5 year pharmacy program at Semmelweis in Budapest, Hungary. You only get a master's of pharmacy, not a doctorate, when you're done. I'm an american citizen and have lived my whole life in the US, but all my family is back in europe, so I thought I'd go here. How does licensing work with foreign pharmacy graduates? Do I have to have a PharmD to qualify for licensing?

If not, I'm just going to work for another year in the US and wait until I get into a US school (I was very close getting into chapel hill, and got into mercer but I don't think I can handle 200k in debt looming over my head).

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm not sure how this works. I was accepted to a 5 year pharmacy program at Semmelweis in Budapest, Hungary. You only get a master's of pharmacy, not a doctorate, when you're done. I'm an american citizen and have lived my whole life in the US, but all my family is back in europe, so I thought I'd go here. How does licensing work with foreign pharmacy graduates? Do I have to have a PharmD to qualify for licensing?

If not, I'm just going to work for another year in the US and wait until I get into a US school (I was very close getting into chapel hill, and got into mercer but I don't think I can handle 200k in debt looming over my head).

You don't need a Pharm.D., just a degree from a university accredited in the country where it is, but you need to submit a ton of paperwork. And you will need between a 1000 and 2000 hours of internship in the US before being eligible for licensure. And the exams, of course.

I suggest you read up here under the FPGEE/FPGEC subheading, and also check with the board of pharmacy of the state where you think you will practice in the United States - the requirements may differ significantly from state to state. After that, contact the NABP and the Board of Pharmacy in your state of choice and aks them. No one else can give you a better answer than them.

Hey, I`m a Hungarian pharmacy graduate from Semmelweis and I`m just trying to find out stuff about how to become a pharmacist In the US ( I`m just in the process of fighting with my school to send me the proper paperwork).

Ok, so either your a foreign citizen or american you have to take TOEFEL and TSE if you are graduated from a foreign school, take FPGEE and do ~1500 internship hours in almost any state(this means you work as a pharmacist for approx. a year for less money), then you take NAPLEX and MPJE and your good to go.

Anybody has good study material for FPJEE?

I would suggest to go to a US college of pharmacy if you can get into one. It is a very long and expensive process for a foreign pharmacy graduate to get licensed in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest to go to a US college of pharmacy if you can get into one. It is a very long and expensive process for a foreign pharmacy graduate to get licensed in the US.

Not necessarily true. You could probably get it over in a year and a half if you time it right and pass all tests the first try. The most time consuming process will be

1. Getting your credentials through NABP to qualify to take the FPGEE. The FPGEE is offered only twice a year so you will have to wait a long time between tests if you missed a window.
2. The 1,500 hours of internship that you need to do. Many states require that you get the FPGEC certificate first before you can start the internship. However, there are a number of states that require less.

Not necessarily true. You could probably get it over in a year and a half if you time it right and pass all tests the first try. The most time consuming process will be

1. Getting your credentials through NABP to qualify to take the FPGEE. The FPGEE is offered only twice a year so you will have to wait a long time between tests if you missed a window.
2. The 1,500 hours of internship that you need to do. Many states require that you get the FPGEC certificate first before you can start the internship. However, there are a number of states that require less.

Or you can go to a 4 yr US college and get your license shortly after graduation.

5 yrs of foreign pharm school + plus time for boards + internship hours...that all adds up..

Plus the FPGEE is a difficult exam and a lot of people don't pass on the first try. The point is...if you can get into a US school (which seems like you can since you were previously accepted to Mercer), it would be easier in the long run.

Well above all costs and acceptance to Pharm Schools you should concider time too, 5 years is a long time, and Hungary is a lot different from US, so it also depends where you wanna spend 5 years from your life:), discovering a new world or staying here with your folks.

Don't you have to know the Hungarian language to attend the university? You said you spent your whole life in US..