Foreign students in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wclubin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
kljdflskdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I cant speak directly to the foreign students question, but from what I have gathered it seems to be extremely difficult for foreign students to get into american med schools though I am sure there are a few. I think it is a question of numbers...there are 30,000 american students who apply to med schools, whereas in PhD programs there are not nearly that many. I think it is particularly telling that I have heard the NIH has grants for post-docs, but there are not enough american post-docs to use the grants! Of course, it could be that there are PhDs who chose to go into industry....and this is all coming from a physical and biomedical science point of view.

As for the post-bacc v. CC issue...There is a big difference. Post-baccalaureate programs are designed for people with bachelor's degrees and are found at 4 yr institutions. There are some people who have taken pre-reqs at CCs while enrolled at a 4 yr school and gained med school admission with no problem, but I think that if you are have your degree if would behoove you to do a post-bac or some other graduate level work (maybe a MS, as I did) to satisfy reqs. It sounds to me like you are making a change from your initial degree to pursue medicine...there are several post-bacc programs that are geared especially for ppl in that situation and there are some which are geared to those who have the pre-reqs but need to improve their grades.

There are very few foreign students in US med schools and most are green card holders.

Green card holders are reviewed on the same basis for entrance and funding as US citizens. Very few schools even consider non-permanent resident foreigners and those that do usually require the 4 years tuition up front or placed in escrow as you are not eligible for federal loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a foreign student (non green card holder) that just got into an US medical school (Columbia P&S and Tulane). It is true that some schools require an escrow account, but it is only for the first year. Sources of need based aid are available at certain institutions (columbia is one of them) as are agencies that loan money to internationals with US citizen co-signers. Very few internationals get in every year at US medical schools and only limited institutions (usually those which are privately funded) agree to look at their applications. I think there may be 2 or 3 of us at each of the top ten schools first year class and I know Tulane is international friendly too. Most often, college in the US (or at least a couple of years of college in the US) is required. Needless to say, the process is very selective, but not impossible ;)

In response to the foreign students question. Compared to other professional degrees, Medicine is where you least find them. This is not to same there are not any. I am a foreign student and I just got into BU and another friend who is foreign as well just got into Yale.

It is a lot harder for us than citizens or Perm. residents but it is not impossible. You definitely need to have gone to undergrad in the US though.

In applying, only selective schools consider foreign students. so do your home work before you apply there.