Getting into med school with a foreign bachelors degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeeAA

Reaction score
Hello everyone
So here’s my issue
How do I get into med school with a foreign bachelors degree?
I now reside in the US, I have most of the prerequisite needed for med school (took classes in a community college), never shadowed a physician and have no health care job experience. I just wish I had someone guiding me through this path.
I applied to physical therapy school and got in, I do love PT but I’m sure I’ll get more job satisfaction as a physician. I need help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @VeeAA
You might be better off pursuing your advanced degree in PT. You could have more options if you are a US citizen now or at least a permanent resident.

Here's a thread where foreign bachelor degrees are discussed in detail: #1

Reactions: 1 user
My opinion might be unpopular but is anecdotal so YMMV.

I'll be starting medical school in about 2 months, and like you, I have a foreign bachelor's. If you are a permanent resident, then the odds are in your favor, and you will be treated as a US citizen for admission purposes.

However, most schools require you to take credit hours in a US institution. The more credits you take, the higher the chances of getting in. I'd suggest you take the general prereqs in a US institution and accumulate experiences within the US (volunteering, research, etc). DO NOT let out any previous experiences you have had in your home country for your primary application.

You have to research school by school and see which ones accept foreign bachelor's (again, most will require at least 60 credit hours in a US institution, including general prereqs). I can provide a short-list of schools in a private message.

Other than that, kill your MCAT, get good letters, and do all the things every aspiring american medical student does. It is possible, you just have a little bit of a steeper hill to climb. I wish you lots of success in your journey!!!

PD: I applied to 17 MD schools, got 7 interviews, 6 acceptances/1WL.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion might be unpopular but is anecdotal so YMMV.

I'll be starting medical school in about 2 months, and like you, I have a foreign bachelor's. If you are a permanent resident, then the odds are in your favor, and you will be treated as a US citizen for admission purposes.

However, most schools require you to take credit hours in a US institution. The more credits you take, the higher the chances of getting in. I'd suggest you take the general prereqs in a US institution and accumulate experiences within the US (volunteering, research, etc). DO NOT let out any previous experiences you have had in your home country for your primary application.

You have to research school by school and see which ones accept foreign bachelor's (again, most will require at least 60 credit hours in a US institution, including general prereqs). I can provide a short-list of schools in a private message.

Other than that, kill your MCAT, get good letters, and do all the things every aspiring american medical student does. It is possible, you just have a little bit of a steeper hill to climb. I wish you lots of success in your journey!!!

PD: I applied to 17 MD schools, got 7 interviews, 6 acceptances/1WL.
@squameycellca is right, you will need to take a significant number of courses from a US university or college to be eligible to apply to a US MD school.
The credit hours asked for may vary from one medical school to another.
You haven't said whether you are in the process of gaining permanent resident status, but getting that will increase your options.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone
So here’s my issue
How do I get into med school with a foreign bachelors degree?
I now reside in the US, I have most of the prerequisite needed for med school (took classes in a community college), never shadowed a physician and have no health care job experience. I just wish I had someone guiding me through this path.
I applied to physical therapy school and got in, I do love PT but I’m sure I’ll get more job satisfaction as a physician. I need help.
As the others have said, you will need to have U.S. credits -- preferably in a 4-year college or university or a post-bac program -- for med school pre-requisites. Obviously you need mostly A's in these classes as well as a strong MCAT. You will also need clinical exposure, whether volunteer or paid, and some community service. If you got into PT school, perhaps you already have the clinical exposure. Shadowing is required by some schools, but others don't value it much. Still it's probably smart to get some shadowing in so that you don't limit yourself to those schools that don't require it.
Then do you research in MSAR. Which school accept students with foreign undergrad degrees? Which require permanent residency, if you don't have it. You may also be interested in Mentorship For International Students | F-1 Doctors | United States .