Foreign students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaelena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am an Italian 30 yo woman, with a Master's in Neuropsychology, clinical experience in 2 different major hospitals, 2 years of experience in the rehabilitation for brain injured patients. Transcripts evaluated by the ECE in the USA and GPA is 3.86.

Now the problem:

1- I am not a permanent resident, and my boyfriend is Canadian although living in California

2- I do not have all the prereq courses. I have biology, genetics, I have many courses in neuro-physiology and things like that but totally miss chemistry or physics.

I was thinking about getting into a DPT program first (and complete it) and then in case, apply for Med school.

Thank you all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, are you F-1? I once was F-1. There are different ways of doing this but my understanding is that not having a green card makes it very hard to do this. Not impossible though.

1. harder to get into school, most schools clearly do not consider international students
2. $$$? how to get loans if you do not have green card, I am not aware of any lenders that lend to international students.
3. once you are done with med school, you need H1B visa sponsorship for residency jobs, programs will put you off unless you are flat out valueble to them or they just can't find any one else. Even people with J-1 visa will get considered before you.

On the academic side, there is no alternative, finish the pre med courses and MCAT. On the immigration side, get a green card. I do not see any other way. I am talking about realistic ways for F-1 people that are not genius, not super rich, and do not have families that are royal family or diplomats. Sorry it sounds harsh, but it's the reality.

5 years ago I was an international student who applied to med schools. I could not apply to any state school because they depend on federal funding (usually this is stated on their website), so they want to take people who pay taxes and who would stay in the state post-graduation. I know it sounds silly, but that's what I was told by several schools. My only alternative was private schools. Each school is unique so you can either call each one where you want to apply individually or you could consult the MSAR - they have a column of how many international students matriculate each year.

Private schools (the ones I inquired in) told me that I needed to have the full amount for tuition, books and living expenses for all 4 years in an escrow account with a bank statement signed by the banker. I couldn't provide that. For most schools it was between $180-$200K (and that was 5 years ago!). You could take out a loan/mortgage as an international student (F-1 or any other visa, except B-1, I think), but you need a US citizen co-signer who agrees to pay off the loan if you can't. My parents and I could not find that person either.

So, I went to nursing school and got my green card that way. It was (and still is!) painful and annoying but it solved my problem.

If you are still unsure and don't have enough information, call/email the school's dean of admissions (or vice dean). I found that they were the most well-versed on the situation, not the secretaries who answer the phone.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me, if you want. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello ev1! I am an Italian girl, just about to finish high-school and willing to go to the University..........................................

agree with blue flowers.
I had a similar experience.

If you are authorized for employement by DHS,I believe, with your degree you can get an H-1B visa sponsored job and (eventually) a green card. I do not know how long it takes nowdays but it was 2 years for me a long time ago (pre 9/11).
If you are a visitor, you will not have much choice but to return to Italy and have your boyfriend K-1 you into the States/marry etc. Obviously, if you are serious enough. (Good part, being EU citizen it will be easy and relatively fast since EU, except for UK, does not even approach the immigration limit).
If you are F-1, see the comments above. You must have an escrow account for every thinkable expense, when I was researching the option back in 2001 I was told (by East Coast school) I was looking at approx. $300k in ready money.