foreign undergrad courde evaluations

Started by Deepa100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deepa100

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I know it has been mentioned before- that there is an organization that evaluates foreign degrees and grades. Does anyone have that info?
Thanks,
Deepa
 
If you are planning to apply to a US med school, you will probably have to take your pre-reqs at a US college. I believe there is a certain number of credits you must have from a US accredited institution, foreign degree or no foreign degree. A guy I met while I was doing my post-bac had a degree from Austrailia, but still had to get all his pre-reqs from a US school. Another friend of mine had a degree from Russia, and the same applied. Both were getting BSs from a US university, even though they already had degrees from other countries.

Good luck. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I know it has been mentioned before- that there is an organization that evaluates foreign degrees and grades. Does anyone have that info?
Thanks,
Deepa
World Education Services. I used them because I had an undegraduate degree from the U.K.

The issue you'll face is that the evaluated grades or the foreign grades won't be "verified" on the AMCAS form that you complete to apply to medical school. Now, there are some cumbersome and creative ways around completing all of the prerequisites (please do a search for my previous posts on this), but the previous poster is correct - most U.S. med schools will want to see the prerequisites completed stateside and they're going to ask for 60-90 U.S. credits overall. Good luck!
 
Scottish chap,
Thanks for the heads up. I have repeated all of my prereqs at U of Minnesota. I will need biochem, one biology class and an organic chem lab to finish. By then, I will have 100+ credits from the US due to my previous graduate level course work.

I am hoping that with these 100+ credits and good track record from my past and ofcourse, hopefully good MCAT scores, I will be able to get in. I am working hard to maintain a 3.9+ GPA.

Thanks again,
Deepa