Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A question: After doing steps 1 and 2, does it have a time limit to do step 3 (the test)? I mean, if I need to do everything next to each other or can wait a few months to do the test?
Thanks for the atention.

as far as I know there is no limit, especially not for month. if this last years then you should call ECFVG, there are phone numbers on the website. they are very nice people and ready to help.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Friends
I am a resident in veterinary surgery , I have a collection of E-books in different topcs of veterinary medicine. I would gladden if I can help any friend.

Good luck

A question: After doing steps 1 and 2, does it have a time limit to do step 3 (the test)? I mean, if I need to do everything next to each other or can wait a few months to do the test?
Thanks for the atention.

Dear Anioka;
Surely you can work there with no problem.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any veterinarian from Asia? Any Iranian?
who knows or has an Iranian classmate in college?

Many thanks

Hi dvmjakish
Do you still remember most or some of questions did you get in VTNE?
What is the most important part the questions which you got concentrate in?
thanks

Hi dvmjakish
Do you still remember most or some of questions did you get in VTNE?
What is the most important part the questions which you got concentrate in?
thanks

Sorry, I do not. I did the exam in June 2003. It was long time ago. I can tell you one word, Anesthesia....

Last edited:
Hello, nice to see soo many foreign vets in the same place :)
I am from Croatia,a student on my final year of studies, and really interested in applying to an internship programme at Cornell University. Does anyone know besides the diploma and english proficieny test what else is do I have to do?!? Do I have to take the NAVLE before applying?
And I also read that the CPE can be avoided if u do a one year internship at Cornell?? If someone has experience applying to Cornell I would really appreciate if you could share your experience. Tanx!!!

Oh I forgot, before applying to NAVLE do I have to have board license in my country of origin?

So I took my CPE last August in Vegas. I failed equine and surgery and next month I am retaking in Tuskegee Alabama. Anyone hear anything about that school? Or take it there?

Hello, nice to see soo many foreign vets in the same place :)
I am from Croatia,a student on my final year of studies, and really interested in applying to an internship programme at Cornell University. Does anyone know besides the diploma and english proficieny test what else is do I have to do?!? Do I have to take the NAVLE before applying?
And I also read that the CPE can be avoided if u do a one year internship at Cornell?? If someone has experience applying to Cornell I would really appreciate if you could share your experience. Tanx!!!

I was waiting to see if other Dr. will jump in and answer your questions, very disappointed.:thumbdown:

Visit this website and read the whole thing, the 4 steps. you will get all your answers. http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/default.asp#steps

Navle is not part of the 4 steps. you have to pass the navle to get the license. You may do the only Navle after you pass step # 3.
The CPE is also a MUST. You have to do he CPE, two year ago the rules changed. Doing internship does not make you bypass the CPE.

You have to have the diploma from your country.

Many thanks
hi
i am an iranian vet and i have moved to the usa 2 years ago
[email protected]
u can email me anytime
good to see another iranian vet hear
and u?

hi everybody
i am glad to see all you enthusiastic people here
the advices here are great but there is nothing siad about the first step which is toefl.i took it and i made 100 and as u know we only need 80 or 90 depends on the program, but for my bad luck i made 23 in freaking speaking out of 26, so i am still in the first step.although it was my first time, i gave up and i said goodbye to veterinary for a while and i am trying to get into school for pre-pharmacy and then be a oharmacist.
i know it is not the most encouraging quote bu tany advice or opinion
(i should say i am not crazy about veterinary and the reason i chose it in a first place was because i could not get into pharmacy school)

Merriam-Webster Medical Desk Dictionary.
good one , I have it on my computer. it's faster than openeing a book Dic. this include audio so you know how sto say the word too/
also you can serach online on http://www.merriam-webster.com/ select medical dictionary... it's free.
hi dvmjakish
could u please email me those efiles that u have mentioned?

[email protected]
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
hi dvmjakish
could u please email me those efiles that u have mentioned?

[email protected]
thank you

this is not somthing I can e-mail you. It's way too big, over 400 MB. you have to buy it. go to the link I gave you and buy the CD. It's not expensive.

hi everybody
the advices here are great but there is nothing siad about the first step which is toefl.i took it and i made 100 and as u know we only need 80 or 90 depends on the program, but for my bad luck i made 23 in freaking speaking out of 26, so i am still in the first step.although it was my first time, i gave up and i said goodbye to veterinary for a while and i am trying to get into school for pre-pharmacy and then be a oharmacist.
(i should say i am not crazy about veterinary and the reason i chose it in a first place was because i could not get into pharmacy school)

if you are not into it, you should do something else. You really have to show your love to animals infront of clients, something you can't fake.
I did fail the speaking part too, the next time I wrote about 12 small artickles -5-10 lines about manythings and Just hoped that one of them will come,it did, that made me pass this part. By now you should know what they might ask in the speaking part. so get ready for it.

I was waiting to see if other Dr. will jump in and answer your questions, very disappointed.:thumbdown:

Visit this website and read the whole thing, the 4 steps. you will get all your answers. http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/default.asp#steps

Navle is not part of the 4 steps. you have to pass the navle to get the license. You may do the only Navle after you pass step # 3.
The CPE is also a MUST. You have to do he CPE, two year ago the rules changed. Doing internship does not make you bypass the CPE.

You have to have the diploma from your country.
Thank you!!!:):) I just read it, and it is soo much clear now!!! I just need to finish my exams, get the diploma and gather the strenght and patience for all those steps.. but I think its worth it!!

if you are not into it, you should do something else. You really have to show your love to animals infront of clients, something you can't fake.
I did fail the speaking part too, the next time I wrote about 12 small artickles -5-10 lines about manythings and Just hoped that one of them will come,it did, that made me pass this part. By now you should know what they might ask in the speaking part. so get ready for it.
i think i am homesick or something else because i change my mind 100 times a day.i really do not hate animals and i think it is an excuse for me to give up.i sudied for toefl for one year and believe me i did everything but maybe not hard enough, and i am so discouraged by the result of my speaking.what else i could do except of giving the time for my speaking and these times and days are my life that i am waiting for my speaking to get better.
by the way could u please tell me which page u put that link?or put it again?
thank u

i think i am homesick or something else because i change my mind 100 times a day.i really do not hate animals and i think it is an excuse for me to give up.i sudied for toefl for one year and believe me i did everything but maybe not hard enough, and i am so discouraged by the result of my speaking.what else i could do except of giving the time for my speaking and these times and days are my life that i am waiting for my speaking to get better.
thank u

Hey Hpoo, don't be discouraged by the TOEFL. Why don't you try the IELTS test instead? I can assure you that it is a lot easier.

thank u

http://www.merriam-webster.com/

iam pretty sure they lowered the the passing score in the speaking part of TOEFL to around 23, i was considered passed after failing couple times, they send me a letter telling me that the score was lowered and they will look into the previous scores of different test results.i actually was passed depending on the first TOEFL test i took even though i was just passed the IELTS.
IELTS is alot easier in overall (maybe reading part is harder than toefl)
you may want to give it a try or 2 just relax and take your time when you speak with the examiner it is not time limited like TOEFL.
JUST DON"T GIVE UP ,i did it so can you.
Why go into another field if you can focus for shorter time and make as much even more income!!!!!!!!
Good LUCK

hi everybody

Hello ,

I am new in this forum and I was just wondering if the VCRC was useful in passing your exam . I am trying to prepare for the BCSE .

DVMJAKISH, do you still have the information on rumen gas cap vs LDA ping vs pneumoperitoneum vs pneumorectum vs pneumocolon? If you do, could you send it to me? My email address is [email protected]. Thanks.

Hello
Does anybody have idea about finding a job in poultry field.
I am a DVM but I don,t have the licence for working here.
I am living in North Virginia near to DC.
Thanks alot

Hello
Does anybody have idea about finding a job in poultry field.
I am a DVM but I don,t have the licence for working here.
I am living in North Virginia near to DC.
Thanks alot

I am living in Norfolk, and when I drive to Philadelphia on US-13, I pass at least 2 Tyson factories and I think one Perdue factory. But all of those are on the peninsula, and about a 150-200 mile drive away from you, I think.

I looked on the tyson website, and found this: http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/AboutTyson/Locations/ListPage.aspx

Maybe that will help.

Justin

Many thanks

Hi Skooroosh ,I'll be glad if you contact me.I'm U.S Resident
could you please tell me U.S resident need to pass toefl or no ?
if you want to have more information you can email me by :
[email protected]

Thanks a lot

Nothing too weird = all cases came from the list. I strongly believe that I would have passed the CPE without reading anything, because all the cases were very simple or I have already encountered them while working and doing rounds with large animal vets. However that being said, I don't recommend not studying. It could be a good luck that I got cases I was familiar with. This might not be the case with others.
Read all of diseases that listed and concentrate on the most common.
Also do all the things that you will be doing physically in the test and listed in the manual. These little things will help your spirt in the exam.
I have e-mailed you the best files I have. I might send you more later.
Good luck.

Hello
I am going to take CPE exam early next year. I have just applied for exam, could you please e-mail me the files for study. Thank you very much.
PS

Hello
I am going to take CPE exam early next year. I have just applied for exam, could you please e-mail me the files for study. Thank you very much.
PS

Well, I will make a deal with you. If you give me your e-mail address then I will send you the files!:cool:

to anyone reading this, i m a recent grad of a foreign veterinary college who is planning to take the bcse exam in august. I am looking for any information that any1 who recently passed the bcse can give me, eg. What to study, any useful resources, wut the exam is like?? Any information that u can provide will be very useful, thanks hopelessly lost ssv23 :confused:

A question for the experts in CPE,
is it possible to pass The Large animal and equine part of the CPE test without shadowing a large animal vet. for a while,iam familiar with the small animal part, but where i live is hard to commute hundred of miles to be able to find large animals,if anyone passed this part without getting into the field first,please give me an advise
thanks in advance. :confused:

I have a quick Q for those of you who have already gone through the process: what is the likelyhood of finding a practice that will hire you as a DVM (after all the licensing is done and NAVLE is taken and passed) and do all the paperwork required to hire a foreign worker? Did those who got hired got a H1B or another work visa or went straight to a green card? I am a few year away, but I am wondering! :D Thanks!

what is the likelyhood of finding a practice that will hire you as a DVM

iam going to answer this part, according to what i see,you will be able to find a job there is always jobs available,but it depend on where you live some states are in such high demand than the others specially large cities for pet animals.
the other prt of the quesion i have no idea,hopefully someone will answer it.

I have a quick Q for those of you who have already gone through the process: what is the likelyhood of finding a practice that will hire you as a DVM (after all the licensing is done and NAVLE is taken and passed) and do all the paperwork required to hire a foreign worker? Did those who got hired got a H1B or another work visa or went straight to a green card? I am a few year away, but I am wondering! :D Thanks!

Most vets are already in the states, living with other work visas or green card..etc... I came to us on HIB before I can even speak good English. You just have to do the research.
It was very easy for me to find a job after I got my DVM in the US. I actually had several options. The best way is to apply for internship, if they like you they will hire you after your 1 year internship. Also you can apply for board certifications after that too..
You have many options, I think you can get a student visa for the internship and the residency after that you can get H1B visa, or you may meet the right person for you in the US and get married...
let me know when you have DVM in US and I will help you get a job.

A question for the experts in CPE,
is it possible to pass The Large animal and equine part of the CPE test without shadowing a large animal vet. for a while,iam familiar with the small animal part, but where i live is hard to commute hundred of miles to be able to find large animals,if anyone passed this part without getting into the field first,please give me an advise
thanks in advance. :confused:

I want to say, if you do it you will be the first one. I don't think it is impossible. The main problem with the CPE is how much nervous you are. If you are very nervous this will get you in trouble. I can tell you from my own personal experience that there is no way I would have passed without the hands-on. Once I’m in the exam I forgot everything I have read. The stress is enormous. The only thing that saved me is getting the same cases that I have helped diagnose and treats couple of months before the test. I don't know where you live, but I'm sure you can find someone close by, even if it is a 100 mile drive on a weekend. It is worth it.

Most vets are already in the states, living with other work visas or green card..etc... I came to us on HIB before I can even speak good English. You just have to do the research.
It was very easy for me to find a job after I got my DVM in the US. I actually had several options. The best way is to apply for internship, if they like you they will hire you after your 1 year internship. Also you can apply for board certifications after that too..
You have many options, I think you can get a student visa for the internship and the residency after that you can get H1B visa, or you may meet the right person for you in the US and get married...
let me know when you have DVM in US and I will help you get a job.

Thanks Jakish..I actually lived in the US for 9 years, got a Ba in BIology, specilized as a Med Tech which is a category 8, in high demand occupation (cuz I wanted to get a green card to then get a student loan for vet school) and I couldn't find a job that would sponsor me for an H1B though many offered me a position, so I have now been back in Italy for a year and a half... But I am finally in vet school :thumbup: There must be hope for me :luck: Funny thing is, I now speak and understand english better than Italian and I'm stdying on english books so I understand the material, and then I restudy on the italian ones to learn the vocab LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks Jakish..I actually lived in the US for 9 years, got a Ba in BIology, specilized as a Med Tech which is a category 8, in high demand occupation (cuz I wanted to get a green card to then get a student loan for vet school) and I couldn't find a job that would sponsor me for an H1B though many offered me a position, so I have now been back in Italy for a year and a half... But I am finally in vet school :thumbup: There must be hope for me :luck: Funny thing is, I now speak and understand english better than Italian and I'm stdying on english books so I understand the material, and then I restudy on the italian ones to learn the vocab LOL :rolleyes:

I should introduce you to a friend of mine; for a minute I thought you were her. She is Italian and lived in the US also for 10 years or so. She tried vet school here in the US but couldn't get in so she went back to Italy to study veterinary medicine. She is in her second year now. The difference is that she has US citizenship too.
for all I know you guys could be in the same school too.

Jakish,.. no way! I am in Milano, tell her to contact me if she wants :D

Jakish,.. no way! I am in Milano, tell her to contact me if she wants :D

missDVM2B anche io vengo dall' Italia. Mi sono laureato alla federico II di Napoli a luglio 2008 e subito dopo sono venuto per un Internship in diagnostica per immagini in california. Ora sono qui in cali con mia moglie e sto per finire l'internship e prendere la licenza veterinaarioa negli usa.

Teniamoci in contatto!!!!

Sure Italian vet! WOuld love that :D

iam pretty sure they lowered the the passing score in the speaking part of TOEFL to around 23, i was considered passed after failing couple times, they send me a letter telling me that the score was lowered and they will look into the previous scores of different test results.i actually was passed depending on the first TOEFL test i took even though i was just passed the IELTS.
IELTS is alot easier in overall (maybe reading part is harder than toefl)
you may want to give it a try or 2 just relax and take your time when you speak with the examiner it is not time limited like TOEFL.
JUST DON"T GIVE UP ,i did it so can you.
Why go into another field if you can focus for shorter time and make as much even more income!!!!!!!!
Good LUCK
i just wanna thank you,i checked ecfvg web and you are right they are going to reduce speaking score and i meet the required score since my overall is 99 and speaking is 22:laugh:
thank you again
i am going to register for ecfvg

guys i am going to register for ecfvg since they will accept my score
great news for me
i am gonna need all your advice for bcsc refrences agian thank you

this is not somthing I can e-mail you. It's way too big, over 400 MB. you have to buy it. go to the link I gave you and buy the CD. It's not expensive.
hi dvmjakish
i will need all your text, sources and advices very soon
thanks in advance

Thanks for the atention.
hi do u know if there is time limit between the day u register for ecfvg and the day u take the bcsc for the first time?

Merriam-Webster Medical Desk Dictionary.
good one , I have it on my computer. it's faster than openeing a book Dic. this include audio so you know how sto say the word too/
also you can serach online on http://www.merriam-webster.com/ select medical dictionary... it's free.
hi dvmjakish
i know you have answered this question several times but there is not a totall and complete list of what basic field they cover in bcsc and what material is useful for studying?if u can list them here is owesome

hi dvmjakish
i know you have answered this question several times but there is not a totall and complete list of what basic field they cover in bcsc and what material is useful for studying?if u can list them here is owesome

Someone else who had BCSE recently should answer your questions. It has been forever since I took this exam. I honestly don't remember a single question in it. Also if you go back in the forum you should read notes about it.