forensic path consultant in the courtroom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NittanyLion302

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does expert witnessing net a forensic path the $ s/he earns for wading through dead bodies thrown in the gutter?

Members don't see this ad.

NittanyLion302 said:
does expert witnessing net a forensic path the $ s/he ears for wading through dead bodies thrown in the gutter?
Whaaa huh? I dont think that was in english.

Your question maybe was?
Do expert forensic witnesses make money?
Yes.
I dont get the whole "earNs for wading through dead bodies"

Expert witnesses are just that, the are not the county corner's office.
Does the county corner make the moneyfor 'wading through dead bodies'?
They make less than your average pathologist. I guess it depends on if you like wading through dead bodies.

Generally speaking you don't make enough money to do something you find truely distastefull, because someone one else out there will do it be cause they like it...
Some people like forensics, others find it distasteful.

If I am not mistaken, you don't really make extra money for testifying in court as the forensic pathologist assigned to the case. But no doubt a lawyer would pay you money to testify in another capacity (like to refute another pathologist). Generally though you can't get this type of gig unless you have respect in the field though, so sorry, your plans of doing a quick Ap only + FP and putting a shingle "Will testify to support ANYTHING" probably isn't going to go anywhere. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
During my forensics elective the pathologists there were actually under contract with the various surrounding counties to testify in a set number of cases for one total fee. If they exceeded this number, then they were reimbursed further. There were a couple of times when one of them was asked to be an "expert witness" like yaah said, to refute another pathologist's findings and indeed then they were compensated. Also as one of them is a fairly well known cardiovascular pathologist, he took on some outside consult cases from around the country (they FedEx'ed an in the news heart... the poor Fed Ex guy was a little nervous to deliver anything to the forensics lab! ;) ) on top of other things. HTH?

Supersheep said:
During my forensics elective the pathologists there were actually under contract with the various surrounding counties to testify in a set number of cases for one total fee. If they exceeded this number, then they were reimbursed further. There were a couple of times when one of them was asked to be an "expert witness" like yaah said, to refute another pathologist's findings and indeed then they were compensated. Also as one of them is a fairly well known cardiovascular pathologist, he took on some outside consult cases from around the country (they FedEx'ed an in the news heart... the poor Fed Ex guy was a little nervous to deliver anything to the forensics lab! ;) ) on top of other things. HTH?

There are only a very small handful of FP types that can make a living purely from expert witness testimony. All of forensics is pretty much a money loser from a time investment standpoint. I would stay away.