forensic pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lions75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I am very interested in forensics, but my question is dose the military have
forensic pathologists and dose the military need forensic pathologists. :)

Members don't see this ad.

lions75 said:
hi everyone,
I am very interested in forensics, but my question is dose the military have
forensic pathologists and dose the military need forensic pathologists. :)

I know that the military has medical examiners. Lots of them work at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in the Annex in Rockville, MD. Check out their website at Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.

The Dept of the Medical Examiners can be found at Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner

Hope this helps; this is about the limit of my information on the subject

I'm an Army pathology resident. Here's an excerpt from the Letter from the Pathology consultant (the guy who decides where the need for military pathologists will be):

"6. Forensic Pathology
There is currently a shortage of military forensic pathologists. The Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner is actively recruiting pathologists to either become forensic pathologists (through fellowship) or to do forensic autopsies while practicing as general pathologists. If you have an interest in doing a forensic path fellowship or you would just like to assist OAFME by doing forensic autopsies, please contact ***** "

I removed the names to protect their anonymity. Remember that needs change from year to year.

Hope this helps,

Geo

Members don't see this ad :)
GeoLeoX said:
I'm an Army pathology resident. Here's an excerpt from the Letter from the Pathology consultant (the guy who decides where the need for military pathologists will be):

"6. Forensic Pathology
There is currently a shortage of military forensic pathologists. The Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner is actively recruiting pathologists to either become forensic pathologists (through fellowship) or to do forensic autopsies while practicing as general pathologists. If you have an interest in doing a forensic path fellowship or you would just like to assist OAFME by doing forensic autopsies, please contact ***** "

I removed the names to protect their anonymity. Remember that needs change from year to year.

Hope this helps,

Geo

forensics was the bait that almost lured me into path in the first place. definitely not CSI, but the physics vs human is fun stuff.

-- your friendly neighborhood investigative caveman

I have to admit that I don't know much about the Armed Forces. I'm wondering about military vs. civilian compensation for forensic pathologists. Please don't mention retirement benefits because I know that military pensions are pretty good.

kchan99 said:
I have to admit that I don't know much about the Armed Forces. I'm wondering about military vs. civilian compensation for forensic pathologists. Please don't mention retirement benefits because I know that military pensions are pretty good.

Don't know the specifics, but pretty sure that military compares favorably with civilian forensic path. If only because forensics is pretty poorly compensated, and working facilities are often very bad (as anyone who's ever visited the New York Office of Chief Medical Examiner will surely attest to).

The Armed Forces Medical Examiner is a big and well-respected institution, with a veriety of posting opportunities. They've historically had quite a turnover at the top, but have retained some very capable people, like Rodrigues ("The Body Farm").

AFIP also run an annual Basic and Advanced forensic path course open to all pathologists, which is very good.