Forensic Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegreengreatdragon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just for background, I'm an incoming MS1. I'm overall keeping a pretty open mind about specialties so far, because I really have no idea what I want to do. Pathology is something that seems appealing, though, and I've been getting some good info about path as I browse this forum. The only thing is, no one really talks about forensic path. I have come to understand that MEs are not as in demand anymore because a lot of local governments use coroners to save on costs. That being said, I was wondering about stuff like job outlook, hours, satisfaction, salary...honestly anything and everything. I can't find much of anything about this subspecialty. Most of the path stuff on sdn is in terms of clinical stuff, whereas online most of the info is about the sort of thing a lab tech would do, not a doctor.
What interests me about forensic path is not so much the crime aspect of it as the public service side. Like I could work in the justice system, but still get to do (hopefully) compelling medical work.
(Also, is it mostly autopsies? Because I think that would get real old real fast.)

Members don't see this ad.

Forensics is one though fields that has every right to be awesome, rewarding and intellectually stimulating for several lifetimes....but in the end just sucks. Take your pick from horrendous work condition where you are essentially a skilled slave to a sheriff, DAs who live to humiliate you, absolutely miserable pay and benefits with handsomely paid government officially constantly whining about your pittance and threatening to just outsource your job to a part-time contractor if you even remotely complain. I think it is the closest many men can come to be actually living as an abused spouse, so in that sense maybe it has some type of spiritual value? dunno. Would be akin to living in a hut in Africa, taking care of tribal folks and then having them piss all over your crappy hut because they resent you so much.

It maybe the single most miserable corner in all of medicine, which is actually saying alot. But as I said theoretically it could be incredible, its just when reality meets the ideal, reality wins.

Stay away and save yourself a lifetime of inhuman suffering, but free will and all. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
So just for background, I'm an incoming MS1. I'm overall keeping a pretty open mind about specialties so far, because I really have no idea what I want to do. Pathology is something that seems appealing, though, and I've been getting some good info about path as I browse this forum. The only thing is, no one really talks about forensic path. I have come to understand that MEs are not as in demand anymore because a lot of local governments use coroners to save on costs. That being said, I was wondering about stuff like job outlook, hours, satisfaction, salary...honestly anything and everything. I can't find much of anything about this subspecialty. Most of the path stuff on sdn is in terms of clinical stuff, whereas online most of the info is about the sort of thing a lab tech would do, not a doctor.
What interests me about forensic path is not so much the crime aspect of it as the public service side. Like I could work in the justice system, but still get to do (hopefully) compelling medical work.
(Also, is it mostly autopsies? Because I think that would get real old real fast.)

I actually went to med school specifically to do forensic path. I sought out people in the path department early on and arranged to spend some time in the local ME's office, actually a month. That was all I needed to know it wasn't for me. I still went the path route, but now I'm dermpath/general path only. Yes, there's lots of autopsies. There's also lots of paperwork, DOA cases that are mundane and completely uninteresting, and I agree w/ some of LADoc's points about pay and other aspects. The pay is simply far below what most anatomic/clinical pathologists get, and to be honest the work just isn't very medical. A lot is just documenting cause of death for government/legal purposes. Sure if you had a serial killer on the loose in your city you'd have interesting work. But the reality is DOA's (overdoses, old people dying in their homes), routine murders (gunshots, gang crime, etc), suicides, occupational deaths, and MVAs make up the bulk of your work.

This isn't to say that you won't love it. You might. But do what I did - seek out people at your med school who can help arrange a week or month at the local ME office so you can see what it's actually like. No way to tell until then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never willingly be the dog of inferior intellects. As a pathologist in a coroner group of 1-2 MDs you will be the low man on the totem pole for life, non-gun wielding peon in a big group of dick measuring shooters. Forever biting your tongue or else you get pistol whipped or "git the dogs" in some horrific Ramsey Bolton fantasy. I could not imagine a greater hell, it makes being in some salt mine glass mill for Quest look like heaven on Earth.

blogs-the-feed-ramsay-bolton-01.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
As a forensic pathologist, I can attest to much of the above being pretty accurate as far as work, lifestyle and compensation goes. We do however have pretty entertaining cocktail stories to tell if that is any consolation.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for the information, guys! I am thinking that forensic path is probably not for me, but, like icpshootyz recommends, I may try shadowing in an ME's office sometime just so I know for sure.

Probably the most shocking thing I found out about the ME theater is how chill everything was. You should be able to shadow with zero trouble because they accepted plenty of volunteers and as an "autopsy technician", I was fist deep in grue with no training in literally minutes. For as grim as the subject matter was, it was non-stop jokes--some of which are in the top funniest experiences in my life.

Hello guys, this is the field I was interested in - forensic pathology. Sounds like it's not all it's cut out to be. As far as interest goes, it's something I was very interested in. Forensics in general is something I was interested in. In the current time, what is the best field in forensics to go in?

Forensics is not really subdivided into sub specialities. Although some folks develop an area of interest such as GSW’s, sudden infant death etc. The occasional FP also has neuropath background (Lindenberg, Hirsch, Dragovic).
They do the weekly “brain cutting” done at the teaching FP places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk