Forensic Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only thread I could find on this topic was posted 2 years ago and wasn't very enlightening.

Forensics seems to be one of those nebulous areas that a pharmacist can work in, given the right opportunities. A few universities offer Masters programs in Forensic Pharmacy.

Has anyone been consulted for forensic work? How would forensic pharmacy differ from the work done by a toxicologist?

As a side note: toxicology doesn't really have a set requirement, to enter the profession, besides having at least a BS and passing their 3-part certification. I wonder if pharmacists have crossed over in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Look up DABAT

from clintox.org
The American Board of Applied Toxicology establishes and maintains national standards of excellence for clinical toxicologists through a rigorous credentialing, examination, and re-credentialing process to board certify its diplomates. These diplomates possess the required knowledge, experience, and competence to provide toxicology expertise to poison centers, inter-professional patient care teams, public health entities, academia, professional associations, the pharmaceutical and chemical industries, government, judicial systems and others in need of clinical toxicology services. The ABAT is committed to the continual professional development of these clinical toxicologists* and serves as a resource for clinical toxicology education of health care professionals. The ABAT vigorously advocates for provision of clinical toxicology services by its members.

* For the purposes of this statement, a clinical toxicologist has an earned doctoral degree in a biomedical discipline (other than medicine or veterinary science) or a baccalaureate degree in a health science discipline (such as pharmacy or nursing), in addition to the requisite experience in applied clinical toxicology.

So is a forensic pharmacist basically someone doing something VERY similar to a toxicologist's duties, minus the tox cert?

Members don't see this ad :)
Latest print issue of AJHP had a good article on toxicology and residencies/fellowships in the field. One new option I hadn't considered was a position as a Director or Assistant Director at a Poison Control Center.

Full article here (for subscribers)

http://www.ajhp.org/content/68/6/480.full

I'm interested in tox but I gave suggestions last time!

Forensics was actually what I was going to go into coming out of high school (even before CSI and all those other shows) -- had no idea pharmacists could get into the field. Neat-o!

I actually have a degree in Forensic chemistry as well as a PharmD. This might be something I need to look more into.

I got an email awhile ago from the University of Florida online programs. IT advertised a forensic pharmacy program. I emailed the Dean of the dept about what job opportunities it opened up and he basically replied with something along the lines of "derp...duh...i dunno." Tried to find info on my own and there is not much out there.

Needless to say, I dont see that program listed on their website anymore