Forensic Psych Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bvail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this for those interested. It seems to be a little off from most of the salary reports that google brings up but I'm assuming the discrepancy could be that it doesn't factor in post docs and master level people. If I'm missing something here please set me straight.

http://www.clinicalforensicpsychology.org/what-is-a-typical-forensic-psychology-salary/

Members don't see this ad.

It honestly doesn't look/sound very surprising to me. Forensic salaries, whether they be through the board of prisons/some other full-time position or private practice/consultation, seem to be higher than many non-forensic positions or types of work. The two biggest reasons, as I partially understand and have seen them, being 1) there simply aren't as many people who want to work in a prison, and 2) criminal/forensic consultation work requires a LOT of records review, a very high level of attention to detail, and takes place within an entirely adversarial context (i.e., it's stressful). The potential for things to "break bad," and/or the risk to your professional reputation, are also higher (at least with respect to expert witness/IME-type work).