Forensic Psychology/Psych and the Law?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProZackMI

Psychiatrist/Attorney
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any PhD/PsyD psychologists out there who have considered going to law school? Have any of you done it? I'm a psychiatrist (I know, I know, but I can't change that now!) and went to law school part-time and recently graduated with my JD. I'm going to take the bar exam in Michigan in February. I'm seriously considering leaving medicine and going to law full-time, assuming I pass the bar exam.

I was just curious if any other mental health professionals out there have considered getting and a JD, or have done so, and if so, what their plans are.

Thanks,
Zack

Members don't see this ad.

im a current PsyD student who plans to go to law school in the future....

ProZackMI said:
Are there any PhD/PsyD psychologists out there who have considered going to law school? Have any of you done it? I'm a psychiatrist (I know, I know, but I can't change that now!) and went to law school part-time and recently graduated with my JD. I'm going to take the bar exam in Michigan in February. I'm seriously considering leaving medicine and going to law full-time, assuming I pass the bar exam.

I was just curious if any other mental health professionals out there have considered getting and a JD, or have done so, and if so, what their plans are.

Thanks,
Zack

What are you planning to do with an MD and JD?

Members don't see this ad :)
PublicHealth said:
What are you planning to do with an MD and JD?

Leave medicine and go into law, once I pass the bar exam! :)

ProZackMI said:
Leave medicine and go into law, once I pass the bar exam! :)

What aspects of medicine do you like/dislike?

For someone interested in forensic psychiatry/psychology, does having a JD enhance one's credentials in any substantive manner?

PublicHealth said:
What aspects of medicine do you like/dislike?

For someone interested in forensic psychiatry/psychology, does having a JD enhance one's credentials in any substantive manner?

I may actually go back to internal medicine and get out of psychiatry, and then practice law on the side.

A JD would enhance the practice of forensic psych by giving the practitioner a strong familiarity with the legal and court system, legal jargon, and legal standards.