Forensic Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a prescribing clinical psychologist (5 years post PhD, 4 years post prescribing) and a former patient's lawyer contacted me wanting me to provide testimony in another city. Does anybody know the forensic rate for non-prescribing psychologists OR prescribing psychologists?

If it is average salary based, at my contract job where I provide prescribing and psychotherapy (1 patient every half hour) I earn approximately 2,000$ per 8 hour day before my split and about $1,200 after

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1) Is this as a fact witness or an expert witness?

2) Greenberg wrote extensively about testifying as an expert about someone you have a treating role with. It's not okay due to dual relationships, air of bias given the duty to benefit the patient in a dr/pt relationship and the demand for impartial demeanor when working the courts, potential for malpractice tort given the mixing of roles, etc.

3) If expert role, is the state using a daubert or frye standard and will your statements conform to such standards? Do you know the sens/spec, general literature, and names of same? If not, is the state one that has pierced expert immunity? Because that adds another layer.

4) If federal, do you have the documents prepared for and FRE 702 hearing?

5) If fact, you should look up the rules on this.

Not trying to be a jerk, but court stuff has very specific rules and significant consequences for violating these rules.

If it's a custody case, your chances of a board complaint or lawsuit are more of a probability than a possibility.

If it's a personal injury case, the opposing side is going to invest a not insignificant amount of money in protesting themselves from financial loss.

If it's a criminal case, opposing counsel is going to have some forensic psychologists who know the rules try to discredit you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, do you really see about 16 patients per day (2 per hour x 8 hours)?

How is it that they take 40% of your revenue? What do they provide that is worth such a large chunk of your money?

Is your $1,200/day before or after subtracting all the extra withholding you have to take out as part of being a contractor?

Is it just me, or are the contract psychologist jobs that get posted seem like they are flouting labor laws concerning contract employment?

Is it just me, or are the contract psychologist jobs that get posted seem like they are flouting labor laws concerning contract employment?
It's not just you. Businesses out there (not all of them) are definitely misclassifying jobs bc it is beneficial to their bottom line. Clinicians need to understand employment law better so they don't get taken advantage of by employers.

How is it that they take 40% of your revenue? What do they provide that is worth such a large chunk of your money?

Is your $1,200/day before or after subtracting all the extra withholding you have to take out as part of being a contractor?

T4C is right. This is not a contract job. IRS requires a job to meet a few key points to be 1099 eligible. One prong is the ability to work at your own schedule.

Keeping 60 % is reasonable. There are a lot of costs for the owner. For instance, I think edieb is in NM which is a gross receipts state. On 2 k a day in deposits, that is around 7 % tax which is likely "backed out" of the total deposit. I think the situation in Hawaii is the same.

Last edited:
Keeping 60 % is reasonable. There are a lot of costs for the owner. For instance, I think edieb is in NM which is a gross receipts state. On 2 k a day in deposits, that is around 7 % tax which is likely "backed out" of the total deposit. I think the situation in Hawaii is the same.
It may be reasonable when the employer is violating the labor laws concerning contractors.

It may be reasonable when the employer is violating the labor laws concerning contractors.

I wasn't referring to the classification or misclassification of contractor versus employee. Most are actually employees. I was referring to the percentage kept by the provider as reasonable. That's all.