forensics questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kansan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you path residents out there (or anyone else who may know):

1. In the overall scheme of things, are forensic fellowships competitive to get into after a path residency?

2. What is the feeling, within path circles, about forensics (job market, job satisfaction, future, etc)?

3. What are some top-rated forensics fellowships?

Thanks, and all the best to those of you who may be interviewing right now.

K

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that the NYC ME's Office would be one of the top forensic pathology fellowships just because of its size and high profile cases. I'm pretty sure it was also the first Medical Examiner system in the US.

Hi Kansan,

Forensic fellowships are non-competitive. Many do not fill every year.

The job market for forensics is fine from what I have heard and seen. But, realize working for the state, county or federal government will never pay like working in private practice. As for the future, unless the country gives up drugs and guns overnight I imagine there will be still be a ton of work for forensics path docs. hehe.

Top rated programs: Sorry no idea.

The program in Richmond, VA is run by Dr. Fierro who is nationally known and the basis of the novels by Patricia Cornwell. (character in books is named Kay Scarpetta).

I have heard nice things about the program in New Mexico.

But, really no one in my program is interested in forensics so I don't have any good sources. Sorry.

One thing to keep in mind is when you look for a residency program is to find one that the residents do lots of forensic autopsies. Wake Forest comes to mind.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
GP:

Do you think that the forensic science television fad will increase the number of applicants to forensic programs in years to come? Or in the end do you think money/lifestyle will win out?

I know that whenever I tell anyone (outside of medicine) that I am going to be a physician, their reaction is generally to grumble about the health care field and say a cursory "that's nice". But if I tell them I am going to be a pathologist, I usually have a captivated audience who wants me to promise them a tour of the morgue. (I can't even get past their initial reaction to inform them that I am not going the forensics route!) Has anyone else had similar experiences?

On the interview trail, 1 person out of 4 (based on group interviews) seems to want forensics as a subspecialty. My results are probably skewed, I think. I wonder if these trends account for some of the bump in interest in pathology. Also, forensics seems like a more female-oriented specialty (interest-wise.) Any ideas why? It is not particularly family friendly with the wierd hours, so that usual (and somewhat degrading) explanation evaporates. I always figured that "women's intuition" honestly played a role (women more interested in the psychological aspects of the field.)

Well let me know what you guys think!

Mindy

I wonder if the female interest stems for the female forensic pathologics on television? I don't watch enough television to know thier names. We are a highly suggestable society.

I'm a Quincy fan myself (I'm sure few people applying are old enough to remember that show unless they are doing reruns on cable) but forensics is not my bag.

Who knows why females seem to be so interested in forensics? But, you are right it does seem that way. Heck I don't understand women, hehe.

I do think the tv shows get people interested in forensics and pathology, but I think when the time comes most of these people will not go into forensics. I would say it limits your income by more that half. Private practice folks can easily make in the 300s+ after partnership in a good practice. The chief medical examiner in a big city may make half that, but for the most part not.

Forensics is very interesting, the stories and the law enforcement folks are awesome, but the hassles of working for a government agency are huge, pay is subpar for a doctor and you can get nasty call.

Does anyone know which forensic pathology fellowships integrate forensic anthropology into the training or if there are any sub-subspecialty fellowships in forensic anthropology? I thought forensic path was cool, but forensic antrhopology blows my mind. Its amazing how a story can be pieced together just from a pile of bones.