Forensics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts about Harris County, Houston, TX fellowship program?

And also, any ideas about the future of forensic path in this country? Salaries went up a lot in past couple of years...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know any specifics about the Houston program, but agree with your salaries comment. FP can't be outsourced, period. And people will always die. Go to an AAFS or NAME meeting... plenty of faces over 50 years old. NAME's 250/yr standard is getting more widely accepted. I have no concern that a well-trained, competent, and socially normal English speaking forensic pathologist will have solid job prospects in North America for the next 40 years.

Any thoughts about Harris County, Houston, TX fellowship program?

And also, any ideas about the future of forensic path in this country? Salaries went up a lot in past couple of years...

Thanks.

What mlw said. Also, I had recently spent a couple weeks at the Harris County office. It's a solid program with a lot of emphasis on fellow education and lots of resources. Case load and diversity is definitely there. The fellow salaries are pretty high as well, if that's a concern (~90k per fellow, even though cost of living in Houston isn't high at all compared to other cities with high fellow salaries). They're also going to be building a new office pretty soon - they have the approval and funding but they haven't broken ground quite yet, last I heard.

I will say the that the office has a fairly uptight, no-nonsense atmosphere to it, and they expect a lot from their fellows. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just that many offices are a little more laid back and so Houston has been known to come off as malignant by comparison. They had actually told me they tend to push and grill their fellows hard because they want to make sure you can justify every decision and action of yours since that's how it'll be in the real world, what with so much of your work literally being put on trial with lawyers going over everything you say and do with a fine-toothed comb. How you handle that kind of training will determine the kind of experience you'll have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, interesting, thanks Entgegen. I was mainly just aware that they seem to have a lot on-site or at least directly affiliated with their institute, and around the time I was looking seemed to be one of the "up and coming" programs. Every meeting they seemed to be recruiting, nice pretty fliers, and so forth; fits with the reported resources. If they routinely push, grill, and comb, that can be good as long as within the office they're all on the same page -- that can get harder and harder the larger an office is and the more turnover there is, though most offices have a local way of doing certain things.

Almost forgot to add -- future of forensic path. From a job market point of view I think it's pretty decent. Salaries have crept up, and I think mlw makes a good point that as the NAME standards of recommended/maximum numbers of autopsies further takes hold, along with the NAS and other reports and recommendations encouraging the use of board certified forensic pathologists, that job openings will continue to trickle up rather than down. I don't know when salaries will flatten off -- I imagine before long, but some competition helps, and enough publicity has surrounded problem people/cases that jurisdictions are somewhat willing to pay more to try to avoid the same problem. Either way, not much moves all that fast when we're talking about funding coming from states and counties, and any given office is always at some risk of freezes, cuts, or changes -- that's just part of it.

Last edited:
To support the claim of a pretty decent job market, check this out: https://netforum.avectra.com/eWeb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=NAME&WebCode=Jobs

And if you see a job posted, it's likely because it couldn't be filled via word of mouth, which is often how it's done in a field where most folks know one another. All of you that love to complain about horrible job prospects should at least think about it if you're pgy3 or pgy4.

All of you that love to complain about horrible job prospects should at least think about it if you're pgy3 or pgy4.