Forensics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychintern2006

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How busy is that ? can I take my Psych Boards while doing Fellowship, assuming I want to read before the Boards !

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted into a forensics fellowship. I can't answer your question with good certainty, but I can tell you this.

I've been given extremely variable levels of how much work occurs in a forensics fellowship based on the interviews I've had. One program I've seen say they only want fellows working 4 days a week. Those 4 days are regular 9-5 days. No calls.

Other programs: I was told to expect to do around 70-80 hrs a week, and expect to do A LOT of writing & research.

I think there's going to be a strong lack of uniformity on this. Reason why is because fellowships are few & far between compared to residencies, the programs will proabably have only 1-4 fellows & a lot of it will heavily depend on the program director's style.

I'm planning on taking my psyche boards next year-not as a fellow but as an attending. The program I'm entering wanted me for a 2009 position. Although I got accepted into a few programs for the 2008 spot, I really wanted the program offering the 09' spot. They gave me an attending position for 1 year to fill in the gap--at a place I was also very eager to work at.

I did a clerkship in Forensics. The fellows worked 3 days a week (~8-5) and had 2 days of lectures. No weekend, no call. Three of them took their boards during the fellowship and the last one was going to wait awhile.

Whopper, I think the 2009 position you got would be preferable, anyway. It'd be nice to make a year of attending money before doing a fellowship.

Encephalopathy--which program did you do your clerkship at? Did it seem like a quality program?