Forgetting things, feeling overwhelmed, struggling to keep up in Internship...

Started by IonClaws
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IonClaws

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know "everyone feels this way" during internship, yadda yadda yadda...I just have to get it off my chest.

I just switched from my first rotation to a new one, and it's hit me like a freight train. I am always scrambling to keep up with everything that's going on and how to do things. It feels like wading through molasses trying to get things done. I mixed up a day to shadow for a clinic and thus forgot to go to my scheduled one today (planning to go tomorrow instead). No one seems to be complaining about me (yet), and I am getting ok, maybe slightly below average feedback, but it's like being thrown into a cyclone...

I guess welcome to internship?
 
Haha. I felt exactly the same way when I started -- brings back memories.

It's called an Internship for a reason. No one expects you to know everything yet. Just keep your chin-up and doing what you're doing, and eventually you'll see the year through before you know it. Few tips: don't be afraid to ask for help from people on the floor with you; ask your Resident or Registrar, ask the Nurses -- hopefully they're approachable. And, there's nothing wrong with healthy venting; just make sure you do it in a safe place and amongst colleagues who can empathise with your situation -- that is, don't do it in the public lunch room or social media; probably do it at an intern gathering outside of work where you can exchange funny stories and where other intern or residents may have some suggestions they found that worked; or, if you have a trusted mentor-supervisor, you can debrief and talk over things with them as well.

Most people will be able to put up with a new guy on the job if you're two of three things: a) genius/smart, b) nice/polite/courteous, c) efficient/fast/work-hard. Obviously strive to be all three, but I find I have no issues with juniors if you're respectful and a hard-worker; the clinical aptitude is something that can be taught and comes with time/experience; what I can't stand are people who are arrogant and oblivious to a sense of good work ethic and who don't have manners, these are things that we shouldn't be needing to teach in a professional workplace.

Good luck and enjoy your Internship!
 
Last edited: