Forgotten About On Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m rotating on an ICU floor as a MS4. In the morning, I show my face get assigned patients, see them, etc.

After I’m done, I wait for the team to see their numerous amount of patients.

They have forgotten about me and rounded on my patients now twice. Is this just rude or am I not being forward enough? After sitting for HOURS I go and ask when rounds are. Then they tell me they are done.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Toxic? They're probably just so busy they forget about having a student. Implying it is some sort of personal slight against you rather than just them being extremely busy and you being forgotten about because you aren't a part of their regular routine is some pretty self-centered thinking. It is up to you to go out of your way to be engaged sometimes, because- and I know this is hard to believe- being a doctor isn't easy and our first priority is always providing safe patient care. That makes it easy to forget a lot of things, from meetings to medical students to training nonsense. As a medical student, the best thing you can do is to figure out the rounding order and wait within eyesight of when they'll see your first patient, at which point you can join rounds.

Kind of weird they don't have you rounding on all their patients and then only presenting the ones you're following. Usually we would be present for all patients to learn as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I totally understand that. Toxic wasn’t the right word I agree. I’ve just done those above things. It’s also a COVID floor. That’s why I don’t see everyone patient. It’s tough you are right. I’ll roll with the punches.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I totally understand that. Toxic wasn’t the right word I agree. I’ve just done those above things. It’s also a COVID floor. That’s why I don’t see everyone patient. It’s tough you are right. I’ll roll with the punches.
Are they even going in the patients' rooms or standing outside them? There were rotations I'd basically have to hunt my rounding teams. Figure out when they start, where they go, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a group chat with you guys? I usually have contacts exchanged sometimes even prior to orientation. Get some contacts for sure so you can text them if something seems off like late rounding.

Reactions: 2 users
TBH man you have to actively seek them out. The med student getting up to follow them to the bathroom has become a meme but atleast look to see where they’re off to. If they aren’t in sight then you need to get up and walk around.

I’ve found that even though it feels awkward the first couple times, to always ask them the expectations about rounding, if you should pick up patients vs. wait to be assigned, etc. Even though I’m in the ED and not ICU, this can still be relevant cause there are some residents and attendings that expect you to go everywhere With them, while others just want you To follow your own patients and maybe some interesting learning cases.

Reactions: 1 users