Forgotten Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indahcathi201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NP's don't work under someone. They work independently and can even start their own practices. If you want to experience medicine but want a good work/life balance than this could be your route.

Study for MCAT get 30+
Rack up more clinical hours

You should be good.

Has anyone been lost on what to do?
I felt a little lost when jumped into this process. Luckily the combination of talking with one school's admissions director and a most excellent pre-med advisor at the school I did post-bac work really help me understand the ins and outs of process.
I let myself give up on medicine somewhat, but I don't want to deny myself in a way either. I felt like I had to settle because I'm a married woman.
Yikes. Not to stir the pot, but this sounds a little like simmering resentment for giving up your dreams. For the sake of your marriage you need to talk with your spouse and have a heart to heart about what you both want in the future (both professionally & personally).
Is it possible to have kids before residency is over? Does anyone relate?
Yes, people have kids in med school and during residency. I'm sure it's hard but with the proper support system it seems to work out. You'll probably get more info in the non-trad section of this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110
I always keep medical school in my mind, but is it too late to have good chances at attending one?
Nope, definitely not too late. I worked as an engineer for 13 years before I left it and pursued my dream of going to medical school.
Since I got married I have transferred twice so I've attended 3 different schools for my undergrad.
This is a non-issue.
Do I have a chance at med school?
Yes, just make sure you have appropriate EC's like physician shadowing, clinical/non-clinical volunteering, and leadership.
What's your perspective on career/life balance, especially for women?
Well, if you want to be superwoman you will likely burn yourself out. In the end there will need to be a partnership between you and your spouse if you pursue becoming a doctor. You'll need to accept that you can't do everything and be everywhere. This is true for both men and women; however, I think that, because of societal perceptions and defined roles, women experience more guilt about missing things than their male counterparts.

Is it possible to have kids before residency is over? Does anyone relate? I'm just looking for some perspective.

What's your perspective on career/life balance, especially for women?
If you have the support of your spouse, he is open to moving to wherever you need to go to get your training, he understands the stresses you'll be under, and the required hours of involvement during med school and residency, you can make it work. If not, then divorce is more likely. If you would have spousal support, or other close-by family members, or a nanny you trust, or can decompress your med school program or residency (some programs let you do this), then having children during this time is quite feasible. Many have done it well, and if you work at it, you can do it successfully, too.