Form CH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, that was fun. PS had like 3 math problems and 1 formula that they didn't give you.

What was up with the last passage in VR? Damn, that **** was not fun

Ah, the nice prompts though.... :)

BioScience had lots of genetics related problems.

All in all, I thought it was different than the Kaplan stuff. Very indepth Bio section w/ only 2 Organic passages. The lack of math in the PS was also strange.

Scott

Members don't see this ad.

ethanolabsolute said:
How bout that Ochem discrete question where it asks which products came from a homolytic reaction? I did not know what homolytic means, so I had to try to make a good guess. I figured since it had the word "homo" in it, that might mean that the breakage of bonds resulted in equal parts, so i picked the free radical products. Was that right? Heh, I guess I could just look this up, but I am being soooooo lazy now that mcat is over :cool:

I think that's what I put oo. I had that question narrrowed down to two choices, and I think I chose the free radical answer... anyways, it is correct:
I found this online:
"Free radical reactions

Free radicals are atoms or groups of atoms which have a single unpaired electron. A free radical substitution reaction is one involving these radicals.

Free radicals are formed if a bond splits evenly - each atom getting one of the two electrons. The name given to this is homolytic fission.
"

ethanolabsolute said:
How bout that Ochem discrete question where it asks which products came from a homolytic reaction? I did not know what homolytic means, so I had to try to make a good guess. I figured since it had the word "homo" in it, that might mean that the breakage of bonds resulted in equal parts, so i picked the free radical products. Was that right? Heh, I guess I could just look this up, but I am being soooooo lazy now that mcat is over :cool:

Yeah that's right. I was a little unsure when I read the question because I sometimes confuse hetero and homolytic. But if you noticed, there were two heterolytic cleavages and only one homolytic cleavage in the answer choices. So they made it pretty easy, really.

Mahi said:
You know, that question about too much calcium really bothered me. I dont see how it is neuromuscular, and still dont because the uptake of calcium at the axon is dictated by action potentials. If there is normal conduction of action potential then too mcuh calcium wouldnt matter because calcium comes into the cell with its electrochemical gradient anyway. I also put gastrointestinal because i remember something about calcium dictating the force of contraction in smooth muscle cells. Also anyone else remember the bio stand alone question towards the end that asked what would happen when someone was recovering from fatigue. As much as I kept wanting to put lactic acid, i kept reading the question and it said AS someone was recovering from fatigue. I ended up putting ADP because as someone is RECOVERING from fatigue and lactic acid build up they are more and more able to perform aerobic respiration. I ended up putting ADP. That question was bugging me though. Overall I think physics was hard, verbal seemed easy until the end, Im worried the last few passages is whats going to separate the good from the mediocre. Bio was decent, I like physiology.

I totally agree with you about the Ca2+ question, that is why i put clotting problems (or something like that) Ca2+ is invovled in the formation of blood clots. That is why PLASMA levels of Ca2+ would effect blood clotting.
the muscle recovering question was bull****... i put lactic acid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its neuromuscular............it covers the neuro part and the muscle part. The gastrointestinal just covers the muscle base without the neuro part. Thats what I reasoned. I treated it like a verbal question!

greubins said:
I totally agree with you about the Ca2+ question, that is why i put clotting problems (or something like that) Ca2+ is invovled in the formation of blood clots. That is why PLASMA levels of Ca2+ would effect blood clotting.
the muscle recovering question was bull****... i put lactic acid.

For the lactic acid question...:
If a muscle was RECOVERING:
-Lactic acid would decrease.... it would increase if the muscle was fatiguing..
-Glycogen is used up in exercise.... thus, in recovering, glycogen levels increase.
Therefore, the answer is glycogen...

bu even if thinking about the muscle part, calcium is released from the sarcolemma, it doesnt have to do with increased plasma concentrations. lol, i really dont care anymore, I dont know why i keep fighting that question. but thats something dumb about the mcat, some of their damn objective questions can really throw people off. They need to have professors on stand by from now on....i mean I just keep thinking about my practice tests where i was one question off from a higher score, so it pisses me off that some of the dumb questions could make a difference

willthatsall said:
Anyway, bizarre story from the way home. I was riding behind this car and on the bumper was a huge bumper sticker, probably 9 inches across, and all it said was "CH" in black letters on a white background. Weird.

In Europe, vehicles licensed in Switzerland wear that CH sticker. Apparently, the driver came a long way to wish you well.

ethanolabsolute said:
OMG, thats right, there was a passage on one of the practice tests that I took that had that same pasage! and I remember the same sand question. Dang! I didn't remember the specifics though when I took the test today, sadly, so I may have missed a couple of those questions.

The drum passage was also very similar too, though easier than, a TPR ICC passage. The material was the same, teh questions less complicated.

Here's what I thought about the whole test in general (Form CH):

--PS which is usually my strongest section, this time, I do not think I did that great.. However, on the fipside, sice MCAT is a standardized exam and CH was a tougher form than others, we can still afford to make more mistakes and yet end up with a decent score!! the very first passage on modal frequencies, I believe its straight out of some previous AAMC material..if not that, then maybe Kaplan..

--Verbal started out really nice..Limestone passage, the answers were verbatim from the passage (just had to look around)..However, things were bad starting from the 6th passage..I did not like the Copyrights & Patents passage (too long and loaded with lots of info)..for those of u who thought that the last passage was a killer, I should consider myself lucky since I never managed to finish that passage..

--Bio was okay..I agree that there was lots of genetics..I was pissed off at the fact that there were only 2 Organic passages and that too, in the end..

The most annoying part is the fact that we have to wait 2 months before we get our scores..meanwhile, also need to finish the application process..

BTW:
--On increasing the calcium carbonate solubility on the PS, I put *** POST EDITED: COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED ***

--For the calcium question on BS, I put Neuromuscular coz its made up of two fragments, "neuro", and "muscular"..calcium definitely takes part in muscle mechanism..

buckeye1 said:
..I did not like the Copyrights & Patents passage (too long and loaded with lots of info)..for those of u who thought that the last passage was a killer, I should consider myself lucky since I never managed to finish that passage..

That passage was by Richard Posner, a prominent law and economics type. The answers were all there, though you're right, there was a lot of information. One question was tricky.

In contrast to most tests, on which I believe the difficulty of the hardest passages is determined by the quesions, here it was the passages themselves. Because Posner can write clearly, that passage was doable, and notice how no one has mentioned the Economist article on evolution? That's because it was also written very clearly. OTOH, the canon passage and of course the one on hope in literature -- now those blew because they were written so elliptically. Anyone know the author of either of these (or any other passage)?

This one on PS has been bothering me:

Edited by SDN Administration

Members don't see this ad :)
**** By that logic though, wouldn't OH- also be correct because it would react with the Ca2+ ion to give Ca(OH)2, removing product and pushing the rxn in the forward direction thereby dissolving the solid?

Yes, that logic would very much make sense..As a matter of fact, it was bothering me a lot..However, if your goal is to clear some solid, why would u remove it by making another solid (calcium hydroxide)..
hope that helps..if u take that into account, H+ is a better choice..

Yeah I only got 3 out of the 5 questions from this passage. ****My reasoning was as follows: Since P=E/t, and by by raising the height, you'd be increasing Gravitational Potential Energy (mgh), and so Power would increase, not decrease. Not sure though, and it the end it didn't really matter 'cause I ended up guessing on that question anyway! :thumbdown:

Was one of the answer choices make the pipe larger? I seem to remember choosing that as an answer since you'd lower the resistance to flow and thus decrease the pressure drop required to maintain the flow. I figured lower pressure means lower power required but I may be wrong...

by the way, just wondering how much progress u guys have made with the application process..
so far, I haven't even finished the primary application..still need to write the personal statement..I am planning to finish it off in the next 2 weeks..
I just hope I am not too late..I am sure there r lots of others on the same boat as me..

*****Temperature is unaffected: the KE of the molecules remains the same. Force does not offset energy. It was a strangely-worded question, though, as we don't talk much abour molecular-level stresses

Power = W/t = change in energy/t. ****

I think the reasoning is right..in that case, I missed those 2..arrghhhhhhh!!

I don't think there was a choice on mine to make the pipes larger. Instead, we had the choice to change the density (there was a constant flow volume) so by doing that you increase the amount of particles going through without changing anything else.

Yeah that's also what I thought. I actually wasn't quite sure why, but I eliminated the other choices. **** Hope it's right.

Hey BGreet,
Youre forgetting that Desity is a function of mass, and the higher the density the higher the mass, the more work has to be done to move that unit of fluid up the same height b/c its gonna have more potential due to gravity.

I'm praying real hard about that PS section.
It was a blur, a weird confusing blur. I probably had a few brain farts during that section so I probably missed a ton of easy questions.
Blur I tell ya.......

Jon Davis said:
Hey BGreet,
Youre forgetting that Desity is a function of mass, and the higher the density the higher the mass, the more work has to be done to move that unit of fluid up the same height b/c its gonna have more potential due to gravity.

I'm praying real hard about that PS section.
It was a blur, a weird confusing blur. I probably had a few brain farts during that section so I probably missed a ton of easy questions.
Blur I tell ya.......

Yea but what I remember them saying was it was a function of volume, not of mass. I'm nearly positive they said the fluid was moving at a constant volume/time. Therefore, since its not a function of mass, by changing the density you get more work out of the system.

ethanolabsolute said:
OMG, thats right, there was a passage on one of the practice tests that I took that had that same pasage! and I remember the same sand question. Dang! I didn't remember the specifics though when I took the test today, sadly, so I may have missed a couple of those questions.

*** POST EDITED: COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED ***
Thx!!!

bgreet said:
I don't think there was a choice on mine to make the pipes larger. Instead, we had the choice to change the density (there was a constant flow volume) so by doing that you increase the amount of particles going through without changing anything else.

hey, bgreet,
i am pretty sure one of the solutions is *** POST EDITED: COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED ***

Correct me if I'm wrong.

buckeye1 said:
BTW:
--On increasing the calcium carbonate solubility on the PS, I put *** POST EDITED: COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED ***

--For the calcium question on BS, I put Neuromuscular coz its made up of two fragments, "neuro", and "muscular"..calcium definitely takes part in muscle mechanism..
I agree with that. HCO3- is soluble, but Ca(OH)2 is insoluble. adding OH- doesn't help.