Form CP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enamine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did everyone think? The PS was very straightforward. Verbal was terrible. The passage about the D and L amino acids should have been in Bio, not Verbal! Bio was okay until the end with fruitfly Western Blot passage! I thought there was more orgo than usual and that the last orgo passage was hard. Other than that I guess it was okay. I just can't get over how hard the verbal was!

Members don't see this ad.

I had form DK but I got both the D & L passage in verbal and the western blot. The western blot was crazy... I felt sorry for anyone who didn't take genetics or molecular

form CP here, yeah verbal was tough, hoping for an avg score there. PS cool, Bio, ok.

Did everyone finish the verbal here? meaning, you actually read all 9 passages and answer all the questions having a clue of what you read? I actually read passage 8, but had to bubble in B on half of 8, and all of 9. Here's hoping that there were alot of b's in those last two passages....

Also hoping that UCI calls me so that I won't have to reapply, either way, hoping this time I improved on that verbal!

I agree verbal was bad. i guessed on half of the last passage. About the Western blotting in the BS, can you actually learn something like that in genetics? I did horrible on that passage

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished the Verbal and had about 10 minutes to review my answers, but I don't think that helped at all. Even after going back and rereading certain passages 2-3x and then rereading the questions and trying to answer them, I still could not figure it out. I think the scores are going to be so random. I am pretty mad because verbal was the only score I thought I could count on, since I always made 12-13 on the AAMC and Kaplan practice tests. But these were incomprehensible. All the answers seemed equally correct. I also thought 3 natural science passages was a lot -- the most I had ever seen before was 2. The passage about voting districts - wtf! I couldn't even follow... I especially hated the passage about Copernicus and Ibin Shabir or whatever and that name with all the weird markings. Half the time I didn't know if they were referring to the person's name or the manuscript he wrote. They might as well have printed it in Arabic. The passage about criticisms of science with George Tenner and John Horgan... Ive read both these authors before and I'm a history of science major.. but I was floored by this! Ugh!

Originally posted by Chankovsky
I agree verbal was bad. i guessed on half of the last passage. About the Western blotting in the BS, can you actually learn something like that in genetics? I did horrible on that passage

well they were evaluating mutants so that's a little bit of molecular genetics. I guess it is more molecular bio and research knowledge

Okay.. Bio:

-hair cell regeneration was straightforward

-Sue and Jon: will Jon's bone density be higher because he has more testosterone or because he has less estrogen? I answered more testosterone.

-physiology of man in a plane: okay, think i got my parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems reversed... would blood flow to the stomach decrease and blood flow to muscles decrease? or was it some other combination of this? i dont even remember what i answered..

-hypermagnesia and hypocalciuria: the fluid in the glomerular portion of the renal tubule is due to what: active transport, filtration, exocytosis, osmosis? I thought this was worded poorly... it could be active transport or filtration, because fluid is filtered through the glomerulus into the renal tubule and then active transport occurs? I dont know

-rheumatic fever/autoimmune disease: ok, not great

-Western Blot: out of this world.. all those abbreviations PDZ4 incaD, PLC, PLK, TRP, norpA... whatever... probably missed all of those

-more orgo than I expected

PS:
straightforward, question about momentum/conservation of energy and the inelastic colliding bats... think i got it wrong

-was one of the answers to a question dG = dH - TdS? I hope so..

--a whale dives 2000m, what is the % change in lung volume? not sure

Originally posted by enamine
Okay.. Bio:

-hair cell regeneration was straightforward

-Sue and Jon: will Jon's bone density be higher because he has more testosterone or because he has less estrogen? I answered more testosterone.

-physiology of man in a plane: okay, think i got my parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems reversed... would blood flow to the stomach decrease and blood flow to muscles decrease? or was it some other combination of this? i dont even remember what i answered..

-hypermagnesia and hypocalciuria: the fluid in the glomerular portion of the renal tubule is due to what: active transport, filtration, exocytosis, osmosis? I thought this was worded poorly... it could be active transport or filtration, because fluid is filtered through the glomerulus into the renal tubule and then active transport occurs? I dont know

-rheumatic fever/autoimmune disease: ok, not great

-Western Blot: out of this world.. all those abbreviations PDZ4 incaD, PLC, PLK, TRP, norpA... whatever... probably missed all of those

-more orgo than I expected

PS:
straightforward, question about momentum/conservation of energy and the inelastic colliding bats... think i got it wrong

--a whale dives 2000m, what is the % change in lung volume? not sure

Sounds like a lot of what I saw on the DK form. The renal problem I believe the answer is filtration. The equation you're referring to is the Gibbs Free Energy equation and yes you are correct except its dTS not TdS. Sue and John, I put testosterone too. I think I put testosterone as the answer to two of the questions in that passage.

Originally posted by enamine

it was muscle development and I put terstosterone.. i think

it was killer, it was hard not to lose your cool on that one. It's crazy how you remembered all those proteins. I think there were two more at the bottom like Grnp-1 or something

rock on, i remember that... something to do with Gibbs free energy in freeze point depression?

What was the bond angles in that one organic question? I already forgot what the molecule was...NF2 I think? I think I put 60.

it was NO2 and I put 120deg because I guessed it was sp2

i tried drawing that molecule so many times... unsuccessfully

Does anyone know what NO2 in lewis structure or 3D looks like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by wgu
I had form DK but I got both the D & L passage in verbal and the western blot. The western blot was crazy... I felt sorry for anyone who didn't take genetics or molecular

I had CS, but got both passages. I didnt get the western blot for the most part. Verbal is my strong point so i was able to finish but still hoping my 11s 4rom b4 actually stay close enough

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
sympathetic stimulation when the plane dropped would cause blood flow to the stomach to decrease and blood flow to the muscles to increase

i think the fluid is due to filtration because it goes through the glomerulus

yeah I put the same for both :)
plus testosterone for Jon

wow mecute, u got great memory!! i think ihave the exact same bio passages as u, except my form was ch. i think c and d forms have very similar passages cuz my friend had a lot of similar passages too. i definitely agree bio was mad tough!! gosh hopefully the curve would be nice....

I had the form CH as well. But the questions that the OP posted were exact same in my form. About western blotting experiment..that sucked! I have learned western blotting in my research lab..but ha..I felt completely clueless while doing this passage. There was one about drosophila flies and something that had to do with conjugation. InaD genes and the PZD sites. yuck! Bio was crazy! There were 3 organic passages but the last one that i had ( I forgot what it was about) was tough as hell! There were questions asking about a certain molecule dissolving in either (a) Polar Protic Solvent (b) non polar solvent (c) polar aprotic solvent (d) some other choice which i forgot.

oh and about glomerulus and filteration..i was torn between reabsorption and filteration.and with the time pressing on me, I think I ended up choosing reabsorption. argh..got that one wrong and I bet probably more!

i put "aprotic polar solvent"...who knows...?...it was either that or nonpolar but that didn't sound right to me. the thing is, you can't have a solvent with an acidic proton. it will compete with the nucleophile.

Originally posted by ashkan33
i put "aprotic polar solvent"...who knows...?...it was either that or nonpolar but that didn't sound right to me. the thing is, you can't have a solvent with an acidic proton. it will compete with the nucleophile.

yeah me too, because it sounded right :p

the answer was polar aprotic- im not sure if it was E2 or SN2 rxn, but either of those favor polar aprotic solvents- SN1 and E1 favor protic solvents b/c it stabilizes the carbocation intermediate

i think that's right guys; the passage said somewhere that it was an SN2 reaction which means it had to be polar aprotic
i skimmed down to that rxn and there it was; i was pretty lucky i guess!

For that last organic chemistry passage (it's the one that included the question about the polar, aprotic solvent), were there any answers that were choice B?

Originally posted by apar01
So wouldn't 120 be correct? The answer choices were like 0, 60, 90, 120 and it asked for an approximation.

yeah i was ranting about how i couldn't draw it after spending >2 min :D

some ones that might be considered easy to you all here:

-tlc bonds using h-bonds. which chemical binds tightest, alcohol or carboxcyclic acid?

-how does temperature of air affect pitch?

-breathing during long term exercise stimulated by O2 sensors?

-telescope work by increasing magnification or resolution?

-and i can't believe i put no3 ion as nitrite not nitrate. it occurred to me during the following 10minute break :(

-anyone notice they got lots of D answers? it's bad sign when you start to notice pattern in answers you've chosen...

ill try to explain my reasoning. i cant promise its right, but maybe others can agree or disagree

-carboxylic acids for stronger h bonds than alcohols (this i am sure about)

-this one i used my own logic. higher temperature=higher average kinetic energy=higher rms velocity. since i equate pitch with frequency, and since f=nv/2L, higher temperature=higher frequency, and higher pitch.

-i dont know what the question is here

-the characteristic is resolution that allowed galileo to separate objects. im not sure if this is the question youre talking about.

-yup, nitrate. what a dumb question.

any thoughts on:

-where di the particles land that entered the earths atmosphere?

-what causes acceleration (or increase in v i cant remember) in the halogen lamps?

-

I answered that particles would come through the poles since the direction of their velocity is parallel to the Earth's magnetic field.

I don't recall that second question.

i put the equator cuz it's the magnetic line there is parallel to the surface...

don't really remember the second question though..

all i can say is...bio was tough!!!

im pretty sure the formula is f=nv/2L. i think wavelenth=2L/n. that changes the logic of your answer, i think.

Sallybeelly, that question on the magnitic field and the equator and the poles thing was the most confusing question. I had no idea what to put, I remember spending about 5 min going back and forth, rereading that section in passage and rereading the question! ugh!

It increased the PE by K because the C increased by a factor K and since PE=1/2CV^2, the PE increased by K. It would have decreased by K if they had turned off the battery and then inserted the dielectric, but they didn/t say that. I am pretty sure the magnetic field one was not the equator, because if velocity and B are parallel are at the equator, there is no force on the cosmic rays to draw them to the surface. They would merely follow their spiral orbits to the poles, where the magnetic fields end. The acceleration of the electrons was simply due to the voltage of the lamp.

werent there 2 answers for entering at the poles? i cant remember what they were. any one know which one was right?

Originally posted by dookbloo
werent there 2 answers for entering at the poles? i cant remember what they were. any one know which one was right?

one said that the field lines were parallel to the poles
the other said they go into the poles

I put the latter as my answer :/

yeah i went with going in the poles. i think i just viewed it as a big bar magnet. field lines go through those poles, right?

Originally posted by dookbloo
yeah i went with going in the poles. i think i just viewed it as a big bar magnet. field lines go through those poles, right?

yeah, that's basically how I saw it.

and that picture of earth with a line starting in one pole and circling around into the other pole (for the entire circumference of the planet) kept popping into my mind.
(can't argue with that, right?)