Form EM anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the physical was so so, the verbal was just really bad, and the Bio was hard as well.

Members don't see this ad.

bunnybear said:
I think the physical was so so, the verbal was just really bad, and the Bio was hard as well.

I had EM... and I felt the exact same way about it. On practice exams I'd usually finish 15 or so minutes early. This time, bio went down to the wire.

Hopefully the curve helps.
:scared:

zissouintern said:
I had EM... and I felt the exact same way about it. On practice exams I'd usually finish 15 or so minutes early. This time, bio went down to the wire.

Hopefully the curve helps.
:scared:
I don't know man, I feel like, I made sutpid mistakes in the Bio section?
How do you feel about Verbal?

I had EM, i think the PS was fine..about the same level of difficulty as the average AAMC, the BS sections was a genetics test combined with an LSAT. Weird. If you didn't concentrate while reading the passages there were no free questions. The verbal section killed me. Too long. When the proctor said you have 5 min I had two passages left and was finish the third. So basically I guessed on around 15 questions on verbal. Very upsetting to think that I will be retaking this thing again. Who knows what experimental sections are? My only hope...or maybe not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, verbal was definitely killer. I started out pretty calm, and pacing myself pretty well, but once I hit passage 4, things got blurry. It got tough after that. I managed to pull things kind of together in the end and finish, but I'm unsure of a lot of my answers.

Bio... tough. I HATE genetics, and was hoping the test would be everything except genetics. Needless to say, you don't always get what you want.

Whatever, its done.

zissouintern said:
Yeah, verbal was definitely killer. I started out pretty calm, and pacing myself pretty well, but once I hit passage 4, things got blurry. It got tough after that. I managed to pull things kind of together in the end and finish, but I'm unsure of a lot of my answers.

Bio... tough. I HATE genetics, and was hoping the test would be everything except genetics. Needless to say, you don't always get what you want.

Whatever, its done.
Yea man freaking genetics, what the hell, we only take on Genetics class as an undergrad/pre-med student

This is my second time taking it and thought i was pretty prepared i feel for all you who had EM the verbal was just so boooring and there was like 1 Orgo passage in all of bio. I had a genetics heavy test last time and again this time...uhhh im def going to have to take it three times, hopefully taking it in the PM will be better as i didnt seemed quite focused in the AM hours.

chinofish said:
This is my second time taking it and thought i was pretty prepared i feel for all you who had EM the verbal was just so boooring and there was like 1 Orgo passage in all of bio. I had a genetics heavy test last time and again this time...uhhh im def going to have to take it three times, hopefully taking it in the PM will be better as i didnt seemed quite focused in the AM hours.
Do you guys believe the curve is going to help at all?
There are so many smart people out there?

zissouintern said:
Haha, I wish. I'm from Canada (Alberta, more specifically).

Me too. Were you the girl who said she hoped she did well, and I said I hoped you did well too?

As for EM, Physics wasn't too terrible, average and predictable. VR was BRUTAL, like, 15/60 questions with *guess* answers. By guess answers I mean those questions where all 4 options are correct, and you have to guess which is the 'most' correct.
BS was great, 80% mol bio/genetics/micro. I have a BSc in Genetics/Micro, and a PhD in Food Micro. 10% Org and 10% physiology. Couldn't have been any more in my favor.

thadocta26 said:
Me too. Were you the girl who said she hoped she did well, and I said I hoped you did well too?

As for EM, Physics wasn't too terrible, average and predictable. VR was BRUTAL, like, 15/60 questions with *guess* answers. By guess answers I mean those questions where all 4 options are correct, and you have to guess which is the 'most' correct.
BS was great, 80% mol bio/genetics/micro. I have a BSc in Genetics/Micro, and a PhD in Food Micro. 10% Org and 10% physiology. Couldn't have been any more in my favor.

It sounds like things went relatively well for you, aside from verbal, so congrats. And no, I'm not that girl you were talking to... I'm a dude.

I had form EM... and I thought the first few passages of PS were hard... yet i finished with like 10 mins to spare... Verbal, I really don't know how I did... BS was ok, heavy genetics and Mole. Bio... i wished there was more physio, cuz I knew that stuff pretty well.

zissouintern said:
It sounds like things went relatively well for you, aside from verbal, so congrats. And no, I'm not that girl you were talking to... I'm a dude.

Well, I have no idea how I did, but it 3/4 of the test weren't a nightmare... VR was definitely harder than any of the practice I did.

heh zissou... wasn't implying you sounded like a girl (not that there's anything wrong with being a girl).

Oh, and to the person who came up with the F and Cl being skanks, while Br and Iodine are prudes, thank you, I had a laugh during the test AND remembered something!

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SCORES, EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. It is really a relief to see that everyone else thought the verbal was really brutal as well. I got 11s and 12s on all of my practice verbal sections and this one felt like about an 8. I actually thought about voiding the test at one point.

PS was slightly harder than a normal AAMC test, but I feel like I did well.

BS was good for me. Yay. Genetics.

Kikaku21 said:
Wow. It is really a relief to see that everyone else thought the verbal was really brutal as well. I got 11s and 12s on all of my practice verbal sections and this one felt like about an 8. I actually thought about voiding the test at one point.

PS was slightly harder than a normal AAMC test, but I feel like I did well.

BS was good for me. Yay. Genetics.
If mother's and baby's Blood Rh don't match, thats bad, right?

Arsenic said:
because its a violation of AAMC and SDN policies. you'd basically be creating an archive of test questions that could give future examinees an unfair advantage.
God, that's such a bull****

Phys sci had some of the more obscure topics, but wasn't any more difficult than the recent AAMC practice. It actually helped doing Kaplan Phys Sci because once you get to the real thing, it's much easier. Virtually no physics, I think maybe 2 passages, plus a couple within other chem passages, plus a couple discretes.

Verbal was just bad. I scored between 10's and 14's on my AAMC practice VRs, except for AAMC8, which I got a 9 (and found difficult). This verbal was at least as hard as AAMC8, with a little more of the WTF? factor thrown in. I'm guessing the curve is going to be pretty low on this one.

Writing sample was great, I got two topics that were easy to come up with examples for, so I didn't waste 15 minutes trying to think of one. I feel I wrote two fairly unified essays.

Biosci was quite good for me personally. If you were a physiology major, or someone who had studied hormones intensely at the expense of mol.bio and genetics, you got screwed by this form. If you happened to have a degree in micro/genetics, this was probably the best form you could have gotten. Lots of tricky questions, but easy to see the tricks and find the right answer if you're a mol.bio/micro/genetics expert. There was virtually no org chem, maybe 2 passages. What little there was was straightforward and easy to decipher. No complex mechanisms or strange reactions.

Hey all! Yah I'm from Alberta too.... weird, a lot of us got EM. I found the PS section to be pretty brutal... quite a few question where you could eliminate two, and then are left with two that both 'seem' correct. Gah! Hopefully the curve is okay on that one. I found the electrochemistry section particularly confusing....anyone else? I actually found verbal to be okay.... but a lot of people thought it was hard, so maybe this is just a sense of false security and I'm going to crash and burn horribly. Fingers are crossed. BS was actually pretty decent, thanks god for all the genet i had to sleep through in my first two years. Well, here's hoping, and good luck to everyone, especially all you Albertans out there, hopefully we'll meet in the U of A MD program someday (prays fervently to score of different gods). :)

Yes, good luck to you all on your MCAT scores and interviews. Maybe I'll see some of you Albertans at U of A (for my 3rd degree there) or U of C (maybe a change of scenery hahhah).

Again, good luck! :D

zissouintern said:

Whatever, its done.

That was my experience as well. How were your practice test scores? By the time I reached the end of study time, I was hitting 35 - 37.

Kikaku21 said:
That was my experience as well. How were your practice test scores? By the time I reached the end of study time, I was hitting 35 - 37.

Wow... very similar to me. My final five practice test scores (AAMC exams) were:

5R: 37
6R: 38
7: 38
8: 36
9: 39

I was hoping I could pull off a 40, now I seriously doubt it. But who knows, maybe I'm just second guessing everything I did on Saturday, and maybe it wasn't really that bad.

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Verbal was absolutely brutal. After that section I felt so bad like someone punched me in the stomach. On the practice tests I've scored 10-12 and I usually felt fine after them.

I thought both the science sections were reasonable. Some tough stuff but nothing that made me feel really bad.

But man that verbal was awful. I wish all you fellow Form EMers best of luck!

ReDox said:
Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Verbal was absolutely brutal. After that section I felt so bad like someone punched me in the stomach. On the practice tests I've scored 10-12 and I usually felt fine after them.

I thought both the science sections were reasonable. Some tough stuff but nothing that made me feel really bad.

But man that verbal was awful. I wish all you fellow Form EMers best of luck!

Me too. At one point I thought about actually voiding. The more people like you who speak up, the better I feel.

Anyone up for making form EM the most discussed (in a non-specific way) on these forums? I think we're behind by 100 posts or so for some other form out there... :D

thadocta26 said:
Anyone up for making form EM the most discussed (in a non-specific way) on these forums? I think we're behind by 100 posts or so for some other form out there... :D

Haha. Actually, it makes me wonder if there are equal numbers of the different forms or not.??? It seems unlikely that form BP should get more posts vs. some other form you know? Given random distribution.

Hard to say, but I see your point. Maybe BP was handed out more often, or just more often to people that come to these forums.... :)

i just think a lot of us EM people are traumatized and dont' want to speak of the exam anymore.. (58 days and counting..)

viciouz said:
i just think a lot of us EM people are traumatized and dont' want to speak of the exam anymore.. (58 days and counting..)

hahaha... look how many repsonses you have...
I wrote FL which has the most unbelievable bio section I've ever seen... You have like 1 or 2 passages where you are stumped in an aamc test... try having 5 or 6 of them... haha and so far only 3 ppl have left a comment about it.... I'm pretty sure the rest are too busy crying.... I'm just lucky that I have good typing accuray when I weep lol

thadocta26 said:

I'm in. I can't stop thinking about that beast of a test. It won't get out of my head!!! :eek:

I don't think any of us can get it out of our heads... not until we see the scores and face reality.

Which leads me to question: are all the different exams somehow curved for theoretically equivalency, or is it truely luck-of-the-draw for getting an exam form that ends up being easy for you, and hard for everyone else (thus boosting your score on the scale)...?

Is it me, or did the PS section on this exam leave anybody else thinking "wtf just happened?" I thought there were some pretty obscure topics.... I just ran out of time. Blah! Can't wait to get the score for this one. :eek:

Canadoc said:
Is it me, or did the PS section on this exam leave anybody else thinking "wtf just happened?" I thought there were some pretty obscure topics.... I just ran out of time. Blah! Can't wait to get the score for this one. :eek:

Form EM... first thing I thought... EM: Electricity and Magnetism. BY far my worst areas. I open the exam, and what's the first passage? Magnetism of the Earth. At that point, the exam couldn't get any worse for me personally, the only direction left was up (or was it 'out of the page?').

thadocta26 said:
Form EM... first thing I thought... EM: Electricity and Magnetism. BY far my worst areas. I open the exam, and what's the first passage? Magnetism of the Earth. At that point, the exam couldn't get any worse for me personally, the only direction left was up.

I agree, there was some really bizarre nuclear/atomic stuff in there too. The electrochem section I left to the end, but ran out of time and ended up having to guess on most of those.... but that section was confusing anyways. Gah! Worst PS section everywhere. Oh well, fingers are crossed for at least a 10! :oops:

Canadoc said:
I agree, there was some really bizarre nuclear/atomic stuff in there too. The electrochem section I left to the end, but ran out of time and ended up having to guess on most of those.... but that section was confusing anyways. Gah! Worst PS section everywhere. Oh well, fingers are crossed for at least a 10! :oops:

Yeah. Speaking of which. What the f*** is a rest frame?

Canadoc said:

I thought PS was ok, save a couple of questions. WTF is a rest frame?

A rest frame is where you randomly pick one of the following letters: A, B, C, or D. Then you bubble in a circle on a piece of paper corresponding to the letter you chose and a certain number as fast as you can so that you can get on to the next question.

thadocta26 said:
A rest frame is where you randomly pick one of the following letters: A, B, C, or D. Then you bubble in a circle on a piece of paper corresponding to the letter you chose and a certain number as fast as you can so that you can get on to the next question.

ROFL. Agreed! My lucky letter is C. Hopefully it'll keep on working for me. Did you guys like the essay topics?

Canadoc said:
ROFL. Agreed! My lucky letter is C. Hopefully it'll keep on working for me. Did you guys like the essay topics?

Yeah they were fine. I swear the only thing I am praying for is a SOLID curve on verbal. Haha... I think I picked C as well.

Yeah, I hate the essay topics which are excessively politically oriented, because I just don't have quite the vocabulary. Although the first topic mentioned 'government', it didn't really require much thought to come up with an example. The second topic was probably among the easiest I could have imagined (as far as coming up with an example).