formal or informal post-bacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I have mentioned before that I am mechanical engineer wanting to change my career path from corporate world to dental.

I was looking through alot of threads regarding this and I feel that it varies from people to people. Is it better to do official post bacc with those researches or do informal post bacc in which you enroll at local state university and take necessary pre-requisite to refresh my memory (ChemI&II) and take required courses: OchemI&II, BiolI&II

I am curious to hear which way people went and is there post bacc program which only concentrate on pre requisite courses? maybe with research to help beef up the resume for one year?

thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

I did informal postbacc at 3 different state 4-year universities. (Had to go a different ones in the summer because of the course offerings.) 43 credits of science from July '08 to Dec '09. I had a 3.0 undergrad overall GPA with only 1 Bio course, so all the A's in my postbacc raised that to a 3.3 and 3.88 BCP. Submitted AADSAS in early July '09, took the DAT Aug '09 right after both OChem summer classes, interviewed Sept and accepted Jan '10 at my 1st choice. No research, but volunteered & shadowed while taking the classes and had apparently good ECs.

I am very self-motivated so I kept an organized study regime. One of the schools wasn't very good (did not complete 40% of the syllabus in Chem), so I had to supplement a lot of info by myself. I say if you're organized and have good time management, there's no reason why you can't do it yourself and probably save some money.