Formal Post-Bacc and SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted562805

I had a question concerning Post-Bacch?

If I am looking to career switch to medicine, can I just do a formal post-bacc and then do a SMP afterwards to reinvent my GPA? Are there any downsides or negative consequences to going this route?
For any faculty member on SDN, Please let me know what are your thoughts regarding doing a post-bacc and then a SMP? Have non traditional students pursued this route for reinventing undergrad and graduate GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

If I am looking to career switch to medicine, can I just do a formal post-bacc and then do a SMP afterwards to reinvent my GPA? Are there any downsides or negative consequences to going this route?
For any faculty member on SDN, Please let me know what are your thoughts regarding doing a post-bacc and then a SMP? Have non traditional students pursued this route for reinventing undergrad and graduate GPA?
What was you undergraduate c/s GPAs? Have you done your pre-reqs? If you rock your post-bacc + pre-reqs + do well on the MCAT (assuming your undergrad GPAs are good), there is no need for SMP.

What was you undergraduate c/s GPAs? Have you done your pre-reqs? If you rock your post-bacc + pre-reqs + do well on the MCAT (assuming your undergrad GPAs are good), there is no need for SMP.
My undergrad GPA is not good. It is a 2.83. It’s been 5 years since I have graduated with a undergrad degree in Biology. I thought by doing the post-bacc, it would help boost my undergrad GPA. Also, doesn’t the formal the post-bacc program include pre-reqs in their curriculum? I just thought post-bacc is intensive undergrad crunched into 1 year.

I do need a SMP to prove that I can handle graduate work, as my graduate GPA is 2.5.

Basically I am using a post-bacc to correct my undergrad GPA and a SMP to correct my graduate GPA, and I think by going this route I could save time rather than the traditional four years of undergrad and then SMP. What would be the negative consequences of going this route as opposed to redoing undergrad for four years and then a SMP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I see your status as a Pharmacist. What is your GPA from pharmacy school? Also, I don't believe a SMP is necessary if

1) you do extemely well in your post-bacc
2) do well on your MCAT

I'd only consider SMP if you applied one cycle and still didn't get in. SMP is high risk-high reward. Sure, if you do well, your chances increase of admission to MD. However, I have heard they are difficult, so if you don't do well you pretty much sink your chances. N= 1 but I was accepted to MD despite having undergrad GPAs < yours. I got away with a dyi post-bacc + traditional masters (I only did this because it was discounted because of my employer).

I'd read Goro's guide to reinvention...Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
I see. I see your status as a Pharmacist. What is your GPA from pharmacy school? Also, I don't believe a SMP is necessary if

1) you do extemely well in your post-bacc
2) do well on your MCAT

I'd only consider SMP if you applied one cycle and still didn't get in. SMP is high risk-high reward. Sure, if you do well, your chances increase of admission to MD. However, I have heard they are difficult, so if you don't do well you pretty much sink your chances. N= 1 but I was accepted to MD despite having undergrad GPAs < yours. I got away with a dyi post-bacc + traditional masters (I only did this because it was discounted because of my employer).

I'd read Goro's guide to reinvention...https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goros-advice-for-pre-meds-who-need-reinvention.1291333/
Yeah, my pharmacy GPA is not great. The PharmD gpa is at a 2.5. That is why an SMP is essential for me. I need to show that I can do well on graduate level course work that is on par with pharmacy course work or tougher.

But for GPA reinvention in my case, should I do the traditional four years again pursuing another major like Biochemistry and then SMP? or should do just do a DIY post-bacc non matriculated student for pre-reqs, formal post bacc for higher level undergrad science course, ace the MCAT and then SMP to correct the graduate GPA or should I just do a formal post-bacc and then SMP? The positive thing is I have no loans from both undergrad and pharm school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question I have is. How much will my cGPA go up by doing the DIY post bacc for 3 years, contingent that I get As in pre reqs and higher level science courses. Right now it is a 2.83.

Based on Goros post, DIY-post bacc is similar to formal postbacc minus some differences. So it makes no sense to do a DIY-post bacc and then a formal post bacc. And a formal post bacc requires a minimum GPA of 3.0, so it is for students who had decent grades in undergrad.

I am thinking either a second degree in Biochem plus SMP or DIY-post bacc and then SMP are the only routes. What are your suggestions? Or if any faculty has an answer to this question, please let me know.

Read my post on reinvention for premeds.

Yes, a career switcher seeking GOA reinvention can be helped by a formal postbac program.

You might not need an SMP if you ace a postbac and also the MCAT.

Read my post on reinvention for premeds.

Yes, a career switcher seeking GOA reinvention can be helped by a formal postbac program.

You might not need an SMP if you ace a postbac and also the MCAT.
Thanks @Goro. I read your post on answering on whether I should do a second undergrad or DIY post bacc. DIY post bacc and high MCAT score is more of an efficient use of my time in order to apply for medical school. If admissions do not accept me and gave me the reason that my graduate GPA despite my work experience as a pharmacist needs to be corrected, then I will do the SMP

Reactions: 1 user