Formal Post Bacc programs and the April 05 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I put a thread on the MCAT forum but got some mixed reviews. So, now I am putting this on the post bacc forum for you guys in formal and non formal post bacc programs and what you plan on doing. If you started a post bacc program this fall and plan on taking the April 05 MCAT, how do you plan on learning the stuff you have not been taught yet, mostly organic I material? I have heard that as far as bio, chem, and physics are concerned they usually teach you the stuff that will be on the MCAT's in the begining of the semester to cover you for the MCAT.

If you take it in April 05, and take a prep course, are you okay by doing this material wise? In other words, will Kaplan, ExamKrackers, or Kaplan teach you enough orgo to cover your tracks for the MCAT, if at all????

Obviously there are pros and cons to this. Some pros for April 05:

-you can apply to schools early, which is highly highly recommended
-you can retake it again in august if you did not do well, at least you get a second chance and now you know the exam and how it is
-some people have said that april is easier than august because august is usually when they know a lot of people are retaking it

cons
-if you are in a post bacc, you will not have covered ANY organic chem I
-if you are in a post bacc, you will not have finished bio II, chem II, or physics II fully.

These are my worries. From what I know now, is that I want to take the April MCATs but will not have taken orgo until the summer. Does anyone know people who have done it this way and still come out on top of it all? I have heard that most post bacc programs are designed like this anyway. Any advice or ideas! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.