Formal vs. Informal Postbaccalaureate Programs

Freudian Study

Apr 17, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello All,

I'm currently enrolled in a formal postbaccalaureate premedical program but due to unforeseen events (financially motivated) can no longer continue with the curriculum.

Since this fact has become painfully clear, I have considered transferring to a public institution (of my home state) to complete the prerequisites outlined by most medical schools. It just so happens that a full-course load at one of these public colleges (4 classes; 3 credits per) is the rough equivalent of one class I pay for at my current institution. I was hoping that someone could provide information about the wisdom/viability of this option. I aspire to attend medical school (any reasonable medical school, really) and would like to get an idea of the success rate for students in/of a similar circumstance. I would appreciate and welcome any advice on the matter.

Freudian Study

Apr 17, 2012
    1. Pre-Medical
      [cont'd] I was also wondering about financial aid. Would I be able to keep the current package that I have been awarded? If not, would I be responsible for re-paying an unused award package? I am still trying to decipher theses issues through my financial aid office and that of my prospective. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a clear answer.

DoctaSleepy

Apr 12, 2012
        [cont'd] I was also wondering about financial aid. Would I be able to keep the current package that I have been awarded? If not, would I be responsible for re-paying an unused award package? I am still trying to decipher theses issues through my financial aid office and that of my prospective. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a clear answer.

The unused portion is usually canceled. This is just what I've seen, but it may depend on the details of your package and the school's policies. Unfortunately, seems like you'll have to stick it out with the financial aid office.

It may be a red flag that you've left a formal program. However, if you transfer and do well in the pre-reqs, then you'll have proven your ability. You may be asked about it - have a well-formed answer ready. Also be sure to have some sort of financial plan in place for medical school.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.