Former clinic employee as a patient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baron Samedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Weird scenario --

Got a request to take on opioid patient for a previous health care provider within my clinic who left before I arrived. All other providers worked with them previously, so none of them feel comfortable managing it. Pt is on an unusual regimen and has had issues with doctor shopping in the past. They have social relationships with many other members of my staff.

My gut feeling is not to, as there's optics of conflict of interest even if I never worked with pt before. I'd also have to do it essentially alone, as all my ancillary staff know the patient personally. The patient claims to be interested in coming off all meds and feels the best care available is this clinic.

What would you do in this situation? Is my gut feeling overly cautious?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is an obvious no. I don’t treat my employees, past or current. Conflict of interest. Recommend to see another pain doc

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Weird scenario --

Got a request to take on opioid patient for a previous health care provider within my clinic who left before I arrived. All other providers worked with them previously, so none of them feel comfortable managing it. Pt is on an unusual regimen and has had issues with doctor shopping in the past. They have social relationships with many other members of my staff.

My gut feeling is not to, as there's optics of conflict of interest even if I never worked with pt before. I'd also have to do it essentially alone, as all my ancillary staff know the patient personally. The patient claims to be interested in coming off all meds and feels the best care available is this clinic.

What would you do in this situation? Is my gut feeling overly cautious?

go with your gut feeling